Unforgiven Mortal Sins do not necessarily mean damnation

Only God can judge us so no human can claim who goes to Hell and who doesn’t.

The Catechism even states that mortal sins lead to damnation. That doesn’t mean you’re guaranteed to be damned.

The church teaches that un-repented mortal sins are the cause of damnation. However, we should not judge because we do not know when someone has committed a mortal sin in the first place and we do not know if they have asked for forgiveness.

I agree. Someone with mortal sin on their soul, and without having been to confession with absolution and completion of the prescribed penance, is in a precarious spot.

If they die by accident, then there is a question. Did they achieve perfect contrition and reconcile with God before exipring? If so, then they may be OK. If not, then God will judge how culpable the person is, considering the circumstances and the extent the person was aware that this act was a sin before committing it.

It is not “black and white.” However, the best approach is to remain in a state of grace at all times. The benefit of this is, you get to grow in holiness and have increased awareness of how to live a good life. If we do this, others will see us as an example and may be affected in a positive manner.

Let’s pray for our mutual growth in holiness.

Holy Mary, our hope and seat of wisdom, pray for us.

I am noting a pattern to your threads. Is there a Church teaching on sin that is bothering you?

It’s very important to remember that we are not God. We don’t know who is damned. Even if someone was in a state of mortal sin, we simply don’t know what kind of salvation there is.

Having said that, it is vital to at least TRY to remain in a state of grace at all times. We really don’t know what happens-but for all we know, it could be a one time thing.

Don’t test it.

I do not wish to start or cause an argument on the topic, but I respectfully disagree on one point: I believe that IT IS BLACK AND WHITE.

If one dies in a state of mortal sin for which one has not sought forgiveness before dying, that person, from a purely objective standpoint, will go to Hell.

I don’t know how else someone can conclude otherwise. There may be circumstances, as some have suggested, that may not result in Hell, but the circumstances given all “lessen” the culpability of the dead person by “changing the facts” of the original scenario.

I am interested - and I sincerely mean this - in hearing a scenario where someone who is fully cognizant of being in a state of mortal sin, chooses to NOT seek confession, does NOT ask for forgiveness, and then is instantly killed in, say, a car accident.

How can the person I just described make it to Purgatory and then Heaven?

If THAT person can avoid Hell, then I daresay that everyone can, unless one intentionally seeks the status of Hell for one’s soul . . .

The Church, for her part, declares to be in heaven only those whom have been revealed to be there. She has never declared anyone to be in hell. If unforgiven mortal sin is not a guarantee of damnation, then there is none. For those desiring to go to hell, there is no other way known.

I disagree with the part about it being guaranteed. Yes, they most certainly are dangerous and the only type of sins that lead to eternal damnation. However, we simply can’t say it’s a guarantee that having at least one unforgiven mortal sin on your soul will damn you. Of all the Church teachings I’ve read, nothing has ever explicitly stated such a thing. This leads me to believe that the whole issue is very uncertain and that ultimately it’s all up to God to judge us. We can NOT say someone is going to be damned for sure.

Our Lord is loving and forgiving. Let’s say someone loves Jesus Christ with all his heart and commits mostly actions that lead to grace. However, what if they have one unforgiven mortal sin on their soul that has harmed no one else but themself? I believe the Lord might save someone like that.

Whoa! Ever wonder why those sins are called mortal? If you can get past that, you are on the road to understanding. So, what you are saying is that it takes several mortal sins? One bad mortal sin and two medium ones? See where this is going? God has no such matrix of sin. Do you have a catechism? If not, PLEASE get one. It’s your soul.

Whoa again! All sin causes pain and hurt to God! All sin causes harm to your relationship with God. As forgiving as God is, one mortal sin BREAKS your relationship with Him. Since He is forgiving, He will allow you, through repentance and contrition, to be reconciled to Him.

Is it sexual sin? Most of us have been there. Yes, it will destroy your relationship with God. He is forgiving, but not if you lack repentance and contrition. That’s just the rules. It’s God’s creation, so He gets to make the rules.

Remember the consequences of Adam and Eve’s sin? Not just for them but for all humankind? And all THEY did was eat some fruit, once and once only, when God had ordered them not to. It’s not like they repeatedly sinned or anything.

What about poor Uzzah, who touched the Ark, and that only once, or Nadab and Abihu (Aaron’s sons) who offered incence when they weren’t supposed to? Again, guilty of seemingly minor faults, committed only once in each case - but struck dead for their sins.

See, it is not you or I who gets to determine whether a particular sin is serious enough to merit eternal damnation, but God, who teaches us both directly and through the Church about sin. And He HAS taught us much about the seriousness of mortal sins.

If someone isn’t damned for doing what the Church teaches to be a mortal sin, it will only be because the person lacks either the required knowledge of the sinfulness of what they are doing, or the required consent (for example, if they were coerced by someone else into doing it).

If this is the case, then for them it ISN’T a mortal sin - all three conditions (grave matter, knowledge and consent) are required for it to even BE a mortal sin in the first place.

Pope Benedict XII: “By this Constitution which is to remain in force for ever, we, with apostolic authority, define the following…. Moreover, we define that according to the general disposition of God, the souls of those who die in actual mortal sin go down into hell immediately after death and there suffer the pain of hell.” (On the Beatific Vision of God)

Council of Florence: “But the souls of those who depart this life in actual mortal sin, or in original sin alone, go down straightaway to hell to be punished, but with unequal pains.” (Council of Florence, 6 July 1439.)

The Church teaches very clearly that anyone who dies in a state of unrepented mortal sin is condemned to Hell.
In other words Hell is the guaranteed destination for those who die with a mortal sin on their soul.

I have caused many an argument with moral relativists by making the following statement: “Only man sees shades of gray - for God, everything is black and white.”

I really don’t understand why the concept behind that statement is so difficult to understand.

To suggest otherwise is to truly say that God, who is omnipotent and omniscient, has to “think” things through before making a decision.

That, to me, is sacriligious . . .

that is completely irrelevant, we already know that we cannot judge whether or not someone has gone to hell, it would be a mortal sin to do so, but we are told, by Jesus Himself, to warn sinners, lovingly and gently, of the danger and consequence of their sins,
we warn others in a specific manner which Jesus has shown us, that they will by their sins go to hell if they die in the state of mortal sin,
and of course to be in the state of mortal sin there needs to be full knowledge, full consent, and the sin has to actually be grave,

the reason i say that it is irrelevant, is because whether or not you go to hell for your sins, you still must try with all your effort and heart and soul to make it to heaven, no one can force you into heaven, not even God Himself, you have to choose to go there, and you do that by every act, word, thought, and deed,

heaven is a place we go to love God for all eternity, and that starts here on earth,
you won’t even want to go into heaven if you don’t love God,
if someone who did not want to love God was forced into heaven, it would be like a hell for them,
you need to love Him, that is the first and most important thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.