Unhappy husband

It seems my husband is very unhappy about life and pretty depressed, but refuses to seek help. His attitude, he doesn’t need help, it is everyone else’s fault. Our family life is becoming pretty unbelievable. Everything revolves around his moods and he calls all the shots. Even if we all do as he says, it seems it is never good enough, there is still another problem, another rule or some issue. How do I continue to teach my children to have respect for their father when he shows NONE to us?

[quote=bjj]How do I continue to teach my children to have respect for their father when he shows NONE to us?
[/quote]

You can’t because your husband is undermining the lessons with his abusive behavior.

A man (or woman for that matter) who “calls all the shots” then criticizes you for not meeting his (apparently unrealistic) expectations is controlling you and your children through intimidation. This is the lesson your children are learning and will teach their children someday. Is that an outcome you are willing to accept?

Talk to a counselor. Hopefully your church has resources. If not, you may want to call the National Domestic Violence toll-free hotline: (800) 799-7233.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.