Unification Of World Religions

If anyone says that his/her religion is the only path to God and that other paths lead to hell, I have one humble question. The question is for every religion without any trace of partiality. The simple question is: Today I have heard your Religion and if I follow that, I reach God and if I refuse I will go to the hell for my own fault. This is very much reasonable. But before your ancestors discovered our country, the literature or even the name of your religion was not known to our ancestor and he could not reach God for no fault of him. But your ancestor reached God through your religion at that time.

Even if I assume that my ancestor will take rebirth now and will follow your religion to reach God, such possibility is ruled out because you say that there is no rebirth for the soul. Thus my ancestor suffered forever for no fault of him and the responsibility for this falls on the partiality of God. Had the God been impartial, He could have revealed your religion to all the countries at a time. Had that happened, my ancestor might have also reached God as your ancestor. Therefore your statement proves your own God partial.

The only way left over to you to make your God impartial is that you must accept that your God appeared in all the countries at a time in various forms and preached your path in various languages. The same form did not appear everywhere and the same language does not exist everywhere. The syllabus and explanation are one and the same, though the media and teachers are different. Can you give any alternative reasonable answer to my question other than this? Certainly not! Any person of any religion to any other religion can pose this question.

Moreover every religion states that their God only created this world. Unfortunately this world is one only and every God cannot create the same world. There are no many worlds to justify that each God created His own world. Therefore any human being with an iota of commonsense has to agree that there is only one impartial God who created this one world and He came in different forms to different countries and preached the same path in all the languages simultaneously at one time.

Let this logic sword of the divine knowledge cut the rigid conservatism of the religious fans in this world to establish the Universal Peace. I need not beg all these religious followers to be united and harmonious to each other for the sake of world peace. Such begging appeals are made enough in the past. The religious fans feel that there is no unity really in the religions but they have to be united since their kind hearts melted by these appeals. Thus a temporary change was only brought. At the maximum one generation of the followers got united. The next generation fights with each other because they feel that there is no real unity in them due to lack of the real unity in their religious scriptures.

A permanent solution for this does not lie in the begging appeals, which may or may not unite the followers. Even if the appeals unite such unity is not permanent. If the real unity in all the religious scriptures is exposed through the logical divine knowledge, the followers have to be united for generations together. Therefore, My attack is not on the hearts of the followers through love and kindness. My attack is on all the religious scriptures through intellectual logical analysis of divine knowledge. The unity of hearts through love can be only temporary. The unity of brains through intellectual analytical divine knowledge will be permanent. Hearts agree but brains realize. Agreement is temporary, but realization is permanent. Thus this is My first blow of My divine Conch shell for the permanent unity of all the religions aiming at eternal Universal Peace.

Dattaswami,

First, welcome to the Catholic Answers Forums. I wish you great joy and many fruitful discussions here.

The Catholic Church does indeed teach that “outside the Church there is no salvation”–that the Church is the only path to Heaven, and that to reject the Church is to send oneself to Hell.

Your ancestors are in a different situation, though. They did not reject the Church because they did not have the chance to. The Bible says, and the Church teaches, that “those without the Law will be judged without the Law”–that people who did not hear about Jesus or the Church will not be held responsible for not following Jesus or belonging to the Church.

Even Protestants past and present, although they are not part of the visible Catholic Church, may be saved. Very few people actually reject the Catholic Church; most Protestants do not know enough about the Catholic Church to make a clear choice to reject it. There is also a psychological phenomenon called “cognitive dissonance,” in which a person sees something that is so totally different from his past experiences that he literally refuses to believe his eyes.

All the same, I would not take this as an excuse not to join the Catholic Church. God gave us the Church as the customary means for our salvation, and while He can certainly make exceptions when He wants to, I don’t think it is a good idea to try to force Him to make an exception for us.

• Liberian

[quote=dattaswami]… Therefore your statement proves your own God partial.

The only way left over to you to make your God impartial is that you must accept that your God appeared in all the countries at a time in various forms and preached your path in various languages. The same form did not appear everywhere and the same language does not exist everywhere. The syllabus and explanation are one and the same, though the media and teachers are different. Can you give any alternative reasonable answer to my question other than this? Certainly not! Any person of any religion to any other religion can pose this question.
[/quote]

Dattaswami,

To answer your second point, God is certainly partial. I will make no pretense that He is impartial. He chose one man, Abram, to build nations from. He chose one set of tribes, Israel, to be His chosen people to whom He revealed His law. He chose one woman, Mary, to be born a man of. All the other men, all the other tribes, all the other women, were rejected for these purposes. God certainly does play favorites.

Finally, as to the question of many gods creating the universe, I will submit to you that there is one God who created the universe. Different people have different names for Him and different descriptions of Him, but God is Who He is independently of anybody’s description.

I would submit to you further that the Catholic Church’s descriptions of God are more accurate than anybody else’s descriptions because they are based on what God Himself has revealed to the Church. Many religions claim that their God came to earth as a man, and several claim that He died and rose from the dead, but Christianity is the only religion that says He did this at a specific time and in a particular place.

Please note that I am not claiming that other religions are all wrong. There is truth to be found in many, if not all, of the world’s religions. I am claiming that the Catholic Church has the full truth, though, and where other religions differ from the teachings of the Church these other religions are in error.

In short, I am all for the unification of all the world’s religions. Let everybody join the Catholic Church and the world will be a much better place.

• Liberian

I see it as many paths leading to the same gate, yet on each path, the followers believe they are on the only path, voicing these beliefs to each other back and forth.

It is really, no matter what church you attend, up to YOU to follow God’s plan. A church is merely a tool to help you do that. God has given you the ability to read the Bible and reason for yourself what is and what isn’t acceptable in the eyes of God. Don’t fall into the trap of “Well what he’s really saying is…”. Most of the Bible is laid out in pretty clear language, even by today’s standard.

Ultimately, choose the denomination which sustains and renews your faith in God, and respect the decision of others even if you disagree with their beliefs. Ask them only if their church sustains and renews their faith in God, or are they going because someone said they should (to be seen of men). If their choice does sustain and renew their faith, then rejoice in your heart that they have found salvation. If not, invite them to Mass or Sunday Services.

Above all, never condemn anothers choice of denomination lest you condemn yourself in the process. (Mat. 7:1-2) And never judge a church by the actions of it’s members. Remember, they’re sinners too, otherwise they would have no need of Church.

The biggest rift between all Christian denominations, and indeed most religions, is the inability to understand and in many cases respect the beliefs of others and one seriously bad case of “Daddy loves me best”

God Bless.

And on earth Peace, Goodwill towards men.

[quote=Jo’s_Dad]It is really, no matter what church you attend, up to YOU to follow God’s plan. A church is merely a tool to help you do that. God has given you the ability to read the Bible and reason for yourself what is and what isn’t acceptable in the eyes of God. Don’t fall into the trap of “Well what he’s really saying is…”. Most of the Bible is laid out in pretty clear language, even by today’s standard.
[/quote]

Jo’s Dad,

I must respectfully disagree with a good bit of what you have written in the above paragraph. Certainly it is true that it is up to the individual to follow God’s plan for his or her life, and the Church is here to help us in this, but that’s about where our agreement ends. We cannot read the Bible itself, for the most part; what we read are translations–which include by definition the translator’s interpretations–of the original Bible. And even with a good translation, we are not able to figure out what is acceptable in God’s eyes without a good bit of help. One of the lines repeated in the book of Judges, and which is taken as a strong criticism of Israel in that time, is that “every man did what was right in his own eyes.” And there is also a line from one of Peter’s epistles about individual interpretation of Scriptures. Simply put, we need the help of the Church in discerning what is and what is not acceptable behavior.

• Liberian

Dattaswami,

Have you read Dominus Iesus (“On the Unicity and Salvific Universality of Jesus Christ and the Church”) issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith? Much of what you spoke of is addressed there.

Just asking.

David

“Peace” and “Unity” is not worth getting if you must commit heresy to get there.

Unification cannot happen until all people realize the call of God to His One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. Neither are there many paths as Jesus said, “No one comes to the Father except through Me.” Jesus set up the Church, who are we to question His divine knowledge and justice?

Extra ecclesiam nulla sulus!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.