Unification, Procreation, Recreation

Ok!!! I know that I am going to probably get flamed by what I am about to say, but i really think that it needs to be said. And maybe it has and everyone on this forum has brow beat them down into feeling so awful about themselves that they will be in despair for years.

Anyway, SEX yes I said that, SEX has THREE, mind you THREE purposes. Unification, Procreation, and yes I will say it Recreation. I know that amongst most on this forum that to even insinuate that sex be about fun and enjoyment by both parties involved is close to if not down right heresy. I do not understand why it is so evil for a married wife and husband to want to have sex just for the pure joy of having sex. To revel in the enjoyment, the passion, the arousal, the eroticism of two married people enjoying each others bodies to the maximum potential.:smiley:

Our bodies, both male and female, were to design by God to respond to sexual stimuli in a positive and enjoyable manner. Denying that we can and should enjoy marital intercourse to me is just unfathomable. Sex IS pleasure, sex IS bonding, sex IS procreative. Why not embrace all of these factor instead of just bonding and procreative. If you believe that God invented sex, and that He also created the pleasurable aspects of it. Don’t you think that we should enjoy it as much as possible?

There have been many analogies to food and sex. That we eat for nutrition and to survive. That we should have sex to procreate and to bond ONLY. I for one eat from time to time just for the enjoyment of what I am eating. I am not overly indulging but rather savoring every bite and morsel of what has been prepared for me or what I have prepared myself. Am I sinning because I am only eating something because it tastes wonderful and I enjoy it? I don’t think so.

So what is wrong with enjoy the the sexual embrace (I HATE that term:mad:, it should be sexual intercourse or *******:thumbsup:)?

Can’t I have sex with my wife just because we want to have a little fun and physical pleasure?:confused:

I think you have hit the nail on the head… And that you are preaching to the choir. God gave us stuff to enjoy. We should get happiness and enjoyment from life and the things God has put in it for us. Moderation is the key to getting happiness out of it though. Sex, eating, alcohol… All are inherently good. All are enjoyable. All must be enjoyed in moderation in a way that recognizes that they are gifts from God.

I should hope you do not get into too much trouble for that post, since it seems to agree with out Catechism:

2362 “The acts in marriage by which the intimate and chaste union of the spouses takes place are noble and honorable; the truly human performance of these acts fosters the self-giving they signify and enriches the spouses in joy and gratitude.” Sexuality is a source of joy and pleasure:

The Creator himself . . . established that in the [generative] function, spouses should experience pleasure and enjoyment of body and spirit. **Therefore, the spouses do nothing evil in seeking this pleasure and enjoyment. They accept what the Creator has intended for them. **At the same time, spouses should know how to keep themselves within the limits of just moderation.

Honestly, I don’t think this is news… I’ve read an awful lot of threads around here on this subject, and most people seem pretty clear on this.

There will always be some who have more - ahem - limited views on sex, but I don’t think they are in the majority here. Just my opinion.

I’ve always thoughht that married couples could have sex and enjoy it as much as that like.That is if it mutual.Without contraception of course.

I think you have confuse “purpose” and “benefit”. Pleasure is a benefit of, not the purpose of sex.

In its rightful place, in marriage, unencumbered by chemicals or barriers, sex is to be enjoyed.

How do you know that pleasure is not a purpose of sex?

Exactly. I guess the OP still holds to the stereotypical view of the Church as violently anti-sex. :rolleyes:
Within marriage and without ABC, it can be a beautiful, holy thing. An even (yes) erotic.

When I read on these forums that I can’t do this and I can’t do that with my wife for goodness sake, than I believe that in a lot of ways the church is anti-sex.

Any sexual activity that my wife and I want to engage in is between God, her and I. 1) As long as we both agree, 2)No one is injured either physically or emotionally, 3) we bring no others into our bed, physically or mentally.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Define “just moderation”.

And as long as its two proper ends are **both **present.

Each act of the marital embrace must be both unitive and procreative.

Therefore you could not engage in a disordered sex act in the name of it being “between God, her, and I” because God has ordered our sexuality, and certain acts are disordered and violate the Sixth Commandment.

By whose definition?

The Church teaches marital love is ordered to unity and procreation. Each act must be ordered to both elements. Pleasure subsists in the unitive aspect of the act, and is not separate from it or superior to it, nor can it replace it.

God’s

When and where did God say it?

Our Catholic tradition has some characteristics. See if you agree with me.

Large families.
Acceptance of beer, or spirits.
Acceptance of dancing.
Having parties at weddings, with wine.

Ever wonder how all those kids got there?
What do you do after you have had a little too much wine?
I know a Catholic that likes to dance, as long as she doesn’t have to touch her partner. I am pretty sure that isn’t the norm. What happens when you combine wine and dancing, when you actually get to touch someone?
Ever been to a good Catholic wedding? My daughter got married, and just like at Cana, there was much wine consumed. Must of been a good Catholic wedding.

I think, if anything, Catholics are supposed to be a horny bunch. We accept activities that encourage sex. As opposed to some other folks. We like kids.

Such a nice faith.

In highschool one of my Theology teachers (a former seminarian, now married) gave us a homework assignment. The assignment had 15 questions. 8 of those 15 questions were the same. “What is the purpose of sex?” The answer, as he clearly stated in class, was “procreation, recreation, and expressing a loving relationship”. One of the few things that have stuck with me my whole life.

As for “When did God say what ordered sexual behavior is”, look into some Theology of the Body stuff. There are a lot of writers who have done a great job explaining Pope John Paul II’s writings on just that topic.

Start throwing up, usually.

Hi Lost Sheep

I don’t think I’ve ever threw up. How much wine do you drink?

You have a good point. I guess if we were just properly educated on drinking wine we would have a better experience. Personally, I get sleepy and fall asleep. But it was not always so.

I suspect the fine art of knowing how much to drink has been inadequately recorded.

Such a pity really. Seriously, read the Song of Songs. It is a book in the Old Testament. I think it talks about love and the joy that comes from it. I think having a glass of wine just might contribute to the enjoyment of a pleasant evening in the company of friends or in the company of a spouse.

Wow, God gives us so much that brings us pleasure. How can anybody think that sex wouldn’t be about pleasure.

You know, a beautiful sunset is pleasurable to look at. It is God’s gift to us. It accomplishing nothing but to bring joy. It is not sinful to look at it. Why is sex different?

Now I am not saying you have some sort of unnatural act. Just do it how God intended, but enjoy it.

And go easy on the wine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.