Unique responses during mass

At mass this morning there was a couple behind me that seemed to be visiting my parish and their responses during mass were unlike anything I had ever heard. I don’t mean to be judgmental, I am just curious if someone could explain where these responses come from.

After the consecration of the body, the man said something to the effect of “my God and my Lord have mercy on my soul.” Everyone else in mass is obviously silent at this time. He said the same thing after the consecration of the blood of Christ.

Also, during the Our Father, I heard the woman say “deliver us from isolation” rather than “deliver us from evil.”

I am most familiar with the Novus Ordo mass, so I’m mainly just wondering if anyone else has come across this.

"my Lord and my God" is commonly said when the priest holds up the host during consecration. However this is more of a private exclamation rather than a response. Most people don't say it audibly. just for the sake of completeness, when the chalice is lifted people commonly say "Be mindful oh Lord of Thy creature, whom Thou hast redeemed by Thy most precious blood".
I would credit the change to a simple mistake. or, perhaps they frequent a very modernist novus ordo parish that supports the changed words.

That's a variation of "my Lord and my God" which is commonly recited during the elevation. While most people recite it silently, some say it out loud quietly, or not so quietly. It's
Not a big deal. It's a private devotion with a 10 indulgence attached to it.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:3, topic:303401"]
It's
Not a big deal. It's a private devotion with a 10 indulgence attached to it.

[/quote]

Do you have a reference for that indulgence? I could not find it in the modern Enchiridion. All other indulgences were abrogated upon promulgation of the new document. So it may be an old decree that no longer has an indulgence attached. If you meant "10 days" then it is certain; no numbers are associated with indulgences anymore, they are just partial or plenary.

there is a partial indulgence for that exclamation after the consecration of the bread and the wine

[quote="poche, post:5, topic:303401"]
there is a partial indulgence for that exclamation after the consecration of the bread and the wine

[/quote]

I can't find it documented. I am extremely reluctant to try to gain an undocumented indulgence, and I would venture that it is a danger to the faithful to claim indulgences for which there is no supporting documentation.

I find reference to this utterance in many versions of Tridentine Missals from the 30's through the late 50's. The practice seems to have Started from H.H. Pope St. Pius X:
""The server sounds the bells as the priest genuflects and elevates the host and again in the genuflection that follows. The elevation of the sacred Species after the Consecration was and will be a protest against the heretics who deny and still deny the real presence. Pius X conceded an indulgence of 7 years and 7 cuarentenas (period of forty days?) to those who, looking at the Host, say along with St. Thomas: "My Lord and My God".-- For those who daily say this prayer he conceded a plenary indulgence once a week receiving Holy Communion under the right conditions (S. C. Ind. July 12th 1906)."

I cannot find this in the Enchiridion of 1968, and i cannot yet find an earlier version of the Enchiridion to research online.
I do use this utterance, but silently, along with "Be mindful oh Lord of Thy creature, whom Thou hast redeemed by Thy most precious blood"

Pax

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.