Unique wedding processional songs

I just found out that we will not be able to play the "Here Comes the Bride" selection I had picked out. I am perfectly fine with this after learning the background of the song. Now I am in search of a new song for the bride to walk down the aisle to. I have seen that the following songs are acceptable: Canon in D, Ode to Joy, Overture to Royal Fireworks, Prince of Denmark's March, Jesu! Joy of Man’s Desiring, Prelude to a Te Deum, Trumpet Tune, St. Anthony Chorale. They all sound the same! I want something that is unique and that has a dramatic beginning, but is still acceptable in the Catholic church. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Hi. I do know that Here Comes the Bride but am curious the reason you were told. There are some musicians and music directors here who wi be able to assist you. I love the Bach Jesu joy of man's desiring. Also sarabande on this forum mentioned I think it was the hymn O beauty ever ancient? hopefully she will check out this post soon.

Thanks I will look up that song. I hope they can help too! They are all beautiful songs, especially Bach's Jesu and I really liked Saint Anthony chorale. I just want something different that not everybody uses, but is still acceptable in the church. I haven't directly talked to my priest about it yet but a friend that is getting married in the same church next week said she isn't allowed to use "here comes the bride.". She said he didn't really explain why they couldn't use it but she looked it up and said it was made for a opera that was not very appropriate.

I once attended a wedding where they got a real live trumpeter for the ‘Trumpet Voluntary’ by Jeremiah Clarke as the entrance.

A familiar tune, but usually played on the organ which kinda dulls it down a bit. The trumpeter played it loudly and enthusiastically enough to make it truly dramatic.

I played Bittersweet Symphony (instrumental) by The Verve. While it has classical elements, it is modern. It is also easy to walk to.

youtu.be/gh9Or4IxnwM

I wasn’t Catholic when I married and I have never attended at Catholic wedding ceremony so hopefully this is ok. :slight_smile:

[quote="KendraDZ1902, post:5, topic:326364"]
I played Bittersweet Symphony (instrumental) by The Verve. While it has classical elements, it is modern. It is also easy to walk to.

youtu.be/gh9Or4IxnwM

I wasn't Catholic when I married and I have never attended at Catholic wedding ceremony so hopefully this is ok. :)

[/quote]

Pop songs, even ones that have classical instrumentation, are generally not encouraged in any Catholic Church service, let alone a wedding.

that is what we used in my wedding but with a pianist.

Thank heavens that stupid “Here Comes the Bride” isn’t permitted in the Catholic Church! I had been a bridesmaid seventeen times in my younger days, several times in Protestant ceremonies (all of which I had gotten permission from my pastor, by the way,) and my mind always substitutes the words “big, fat, and wide” to that tune!

We had “Praise to the Lord, the Almighty,” with a very dramatic trumpet voluntary with flourishes introduction for a processional. If I can dig out the program to our wedding (quite a few years ago) I will post the composer here.

Prince of Denmark March and Pachabelli’s Canon are excellent choices as well.

[quote="odile53, post:8, topic:326364"]
Thank heavens that stupid "Here Comes the Bride" isn't permitted in the Catholic Church! I had been a bridesmaid seventeen times in my younger days, several times in Protestant ceremonies (all of which I had gotten permission from my pastor, by the way,) and my mind always substitutes the words "big, fat, and wide" to that tune!

We had "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty," with a very dramatic trumpet voluntary with flourishes introduction for a processional. If I can dig out the program to our wedding (quite a few years ago) I will post the composer here.

Prince of Denmark March and Pachabelli's Canon are excellent choices as well.

[/quote]

I just looked up Praise to the Lord, the Almighty. It's a beautiful song. So did you use that song and just add the trumpet flourishes or did you use another song as well?

Silence is unique and stunning!

[quote="Giggly_Giraffe, post:10, topic:326364"]
Silence is unique and stunning!

[/quote]

But not very dramatic, nor very celebratory ;)

For the opera buffs in here, the song 'Celeste Aida' is accompanied by some pretty dramatic trumpet flourishes, not to mention gut-busting high notes.

A silent bridal processional???:shrug:

:eek: I just googled the history of 'here comes the bride'. WOW. :eek:

Howabout the all Palestrina Song of Songs Motet Wedding Ordo?
Preludial Surgam et circuibo civitatem I will rise and go about the city
Procession of Bridesmaids Adiuro vos (filiae Jerusalem) I charge you, (O ye daughters of Jerusalem)
Bridal Procession
Quae est ista (quae progreditur quasi) Who is she (that cometh like the dawn)

Psalm after lesson 1 Vox dilecti mei The voice of my beloved

Gospel Verse before Gospel and Homily Si ignoras te If you do not know

Ahhh, the Unity Candle Lighting after vows and rings-
Dilectus meus mihi, (et ego illi) My beloved is mine, (and I am his)

What the celebrant won’t have sung while distributing HC to the couple!
Duo ubera tua (sicut duo hinnuli) Thy two b------ are like two young roes

Communio Alius cantus aptus
Introduxit me rex (in cellam vinariam) He brought me (into the cellar of wine)

Dismissal motet
Veni, veni, dilecte mi, (egrediamur in agrum)Come, my beloved, (let us go forth into the fields)

When Husband and Wine depart for the Reception
Descendi in hortum nucum I went down into the garden of nuts

For the crucifer, ring bearer and bridesmaid, I had "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling"

For me, I had "Praise my Soul, the King of Heaven" which I knew I would have from the time I was a little girl.

We exited the church to "Lift High the Cross".

I particularly chose something for the communion time, but I forget what it was. We also sang one Hymn "Be Thou my Vision" near the beginning.

During the signing of the register, we had "Be Still for the Spirit of the Lord"

One of the first things I always tell couples when I am consulting with them on their music is to NOT plan their music based on what they see/hear on television, movies, Youtube, Broadway musicals, etc.

The so-called Bridal March ("Here Comes the Bride") is secular music, written for an opera. It does indeed accompany a procession....not to the altar, but to the bedchamber. That is usually enough to deter any defectors.

We used Handel's March from Ode for St. Cecilia's Day. There are a few organ arrangements floating around, and several performances exist on Youtube.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have been listening to all of them :slight_smile: Does anybody know if Hymne by Vangelis is accepted in the Catholic church?

I don’t think it is objectionable despite its now forgotten connotation as the pretensious theme music for a wine commercial. Everyone likes wine, right, they needed more at Cana at the reception as I recall.
I wouldn’t use the Theme from Cosmos or Chariots of Fire, though.

What about the melody from Abba Father?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.