Unitarian Christians- true or not true?

a fellow Physician at our Hospital is very active in the Unitarian Church-he proudly states that he is a Christain and believes in the teachings that are the core of Chrisianity -he referred me to a web site and this document:

A Unitarian Confession:
We believe in one God, the Creator and Preserver of all things,
And in Jesus Christ, the one Lord of the Church,
whose teachings and life form the standard of our faith and practice,
And in the holy spirit, the influence of God within us;
We believe in the divine element in conscience,
In free will and the responsibility that comes with it,
In the inspiration and sanctity of Scripture,
In the forgiveness of sins,
In God’s universal love for all humankind,
And in the future advancement of the whole human family to holiness and happiness.

given the confession above do you feel that they ( this belief group in the wider Unitarian community ) are really Christians-?:confused:

It would depend completely on which Unitarian you ask. They have no dogma and Unitarians can be Christian in belief.

But they can also be atheists, or agnostics, or even pagans.

All of those are legitimately Unitarian.

Unitarian Universalists are a very liberal in fact the most liberal in Protestant Christianity. As you showed in the creed, they basically are falling outside of traditional Christian thought and they promote and try to include all religions basically. Many times mixed faith couples end up going there because Unitarians end up celebrating all religions. I am sure the person you know is a very nice sincere person and considers himself a Christian. I probably wouldn’t try to debate that with him and keep the relationship friendly and cordial.

They are not Christians to me, because Christ was God “with us” and “who saves”.

Christ performed salvation by Himself being God in essence (the Son), sent by the Father in accordance with His will, but not as a mere instrument moved by the Holy Spirit. The whole Trinity was there and worked in accordance to One Will.

Yet Christian means follower of the Christ, of the Messiah, not mentioning He is divine. I could understand such a position and call them Christians. The Problem is above, and we could expose the divinity of the Messiah, so they just see Christ in one of His natures, and follow that nature.

By God’s grace, Christianity is faith in the Undivided Trinity. I seem to recall the unitarian baptism is also considered to be invalid.

The true Faith will not be diminished - it is such that it is either entirely embraced or entirely rejected.

God, however, is merciful, and looks at the heart of the invincibly ignorant who sincerely desire to be united with Him in His Church.

Both kinds deny Jesus is God so no, they are not Christian.

As someone else said, an individual can be part of Unitarian Universalist congregation and still be Christian.

One can also be pantheist, pagan, Buddhist, Jewish, agnostic, atheist, druid, etc. We don’t care what you believe, we care how you believe.

There are Unitarians (which are essentially liberal, non-Trinitarian Protestants) and there are Unitarian Universalists which are essentially a liberal, spiritualist free-for-all.

Strictly Unitarians may well be Christian, but they definitely non-creedal, non-orthodox ones.

Why are Unitarians separate from “Unity Church” and other denominations with the same philosophy? Why not just merge?

Really?

You don’t care what someone believes?

So you give a :thumbsup: to this?

http://forums.catholic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20227&d=1403928673

I’m not familiar with the Unity Church. I checked their Wiki and it looks too Christo-centric for my tastes. But I’m also concerned with the resurgence of “God Language” in my own congregation. shrugs

As far as the “Why don’t they merge?” I dunno. The UU’s merged in the 1960’s, maybe the Unity Church didn’t want to.

It’s the same problem one has in dealing with Mormons. The doctrine is in many ways flat out wrong. And yet, it’s important to remember that salvation doesn’t come from the intellectual acceptance of correct doctrine. Salvation comes from the act of faith that is the acceptance of the offer of Grace from God to fallen man.

Christ established the church (with all our correct creeds and doctrines) and sacraments as gifts to mankind, not as shackles for the Father. Sometimes shipwreck victims (i.e. sinful mankind) wash ashore (heaven) safely even if they never get picked up by the lifeboats (the visible church). As for me, I’m staying in this nice lifeboat Jesus provided! We need to do whatever we can to help those bobbing in the sea climb aboard too. But it can only be an invitation, not an argument. If they want to keep swimming, you can only wish them well and pray for 'em.

It’s a long way of explaining that I suspect that some people end up as Christians even if they subscribe to non-Christian theologies and doctrines.

Le sigh.

Every time I say that someone mentions the KKK or Nazis. At least you’re original. To a point. :rolleyes:

Check out the 7 principles of the UU Church:

[LIST]
*]The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
*]Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
*]Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
*]A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
*]The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
*]The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;
*]Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
[/LIST]

Is he ACTING according to those principles? Nope. Am I tolerant of his beliefs? Nope. Do I allow him his free speech? Yep.

When we say “We don’t care what you believe, we care how you believe” it has a deeper meaning. We care how you treat your fellow man. Are you respectful? Do you fight to make this a better world?

The individual above is a extreme version of Christianity. All the Westboro Baptist [censored] are doing is spewing their twisted version of Christianity. Should I judge your religion based on his example? Should I judge the Anti-abortion movement based on Michael Griffin? Or James Kopp?

And if you come back with “Well, he believes he is fighting for a better world.”

Double Le sigh.

Point out to me one respected religious tradition that advocates the same beliefs he does and also that is concerned with basic human rights, the respect of law, the respect of basic human dignity.

Have I covered all the bases?

Ah. So you’re not okay with some beliefs.

This would appear to be NOT actually your position: “We don’t care what you believe, we care how you believe.”

I am curious: are you ok, then, with the CC being not okay with some beliefs?

He can believe what he wants. I’m concerned with how he acts on those beliefs. :rolleyes:

What the Catholic Church believes makes no difference to me. What concerns me is when the Church inflicts those beliefs on others (by entering into the political process to deny basic legal rights to LGBTQ couples). I don’t care if the Catholic Church never theologically sanctions gay marriage. I do care when they work to deny rights to others.

Also, he can hold his beliefs, he just wouldn’t make very good UU.

Secondly, of course I’m not okay with some beliefs. I don’t agree with YEC, the divinity of Jesus, denying legal rights to people, pacifism, democrats, republicans…

And part of the problem here is that you are taking an informal, conversational statement and boring down on it as if it were a papal document that takes months to craft. :wink:

UUism, in general, doesn’t quite lend itself to that sort of doctrinal proclamation. It generally lacks Catholicism’s very rigid and structured theological and philosophical language.

Not that I mind.

Hmm… they do state “Unity uses the term ‘Christ’ to mean the divinity in all people. Jesus is the great example of the Christ in expression”… which tends to be similar to the Christianesque-UUs.

As far as the “Why don’t they merge?” I dunno. The UU’s merged in the 1960’s, maybe the Unity Church didn’t want to.

I often wonder about these divisions and the reasons for them - is it to maintain some sort of hierarchy or ultimately unnecessary structure?

Is God’s will inflicted…?
The Church has the right to say what is morally right.
Would you say others cannot speak because it denies what you think is true? It is also the other way.
A faith which doesn’t act is a dead one. How do you define marriage?
We don’t believe marriage is a mere legal contract, we believe this contract is a poor reflection of what the sacrament is.

Unity, Unitarian Christian, and Unitarian Universalists are all different groups.

They don’t merge because they don’t have the same beliefs.

Most Unitarian and Universalist churches did agree to merge, but because they have congregational parity, there were individual churches/fellowships that chose NOT to join the merger.

There are still independent Unitarian churches, and independent Universalist churches, they do not share the same beliefs as one another and have different histories.

Unity is yet another group with it’s own history.

There is a very interesting book called “the Handbook of Denominations” that gives history, basic beliefs and some statistics of sects in the United States. Many Libraries have it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.