Unitarian Universalists

What are they all about?

Is there a book on Unitarian Universalists vs. Catholicism? I read Keatings book on Fundamentalism vs. Catholicism. It was excellent. Has it been brought up to date?:):blessyou:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalist_Association

I cannot imagine that such a book would exist. Although anybook that deals with syncretist tendencies within Christianity or such would address roughly the same issues.

The Universalists I’ve spoken with believe everyone - including satan - will be saved.

They claim the second death is not an eternal punishment in Hell, but “a judgment that results in the saving of all”. (The Lake of Fire, part Three", paragraph six)

In other words, the sacrifice of Jesus intended to save the entire world, was a failure because some people rejected Jesus. Since God cannot fail an alternative means for salvation was needed to save those who Jesus lost.

To Universalists, the second death is where those who rejected Jesus are beat into submission. When those who reject Jesus cannot take the punishment anymore they confess Jesus and are allowed entry into heaven. This is the judgment that results in the saving of all.

Of course this disagrees with the Holy Scriptures which state Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to salvation:

John 14:6 Jesus answered, “No one comes to the Father except through me.”

It also disagrees with the Holy Scriptures which states not everyone will received eternal life.

Matthew 10:28, Jesus said, "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."
Romans 6:23: For the wages of sin is death:
Psalm 73:27 "Those who are far from you will perish; You destroy all who are unfaithful to you."
Mal 4:3 "…they will be ashes under your feet."
Prov 10:7 “… the name of the wicked will rot”.

If you are looking to discuss their “faith” I think your best defense is to use the Scriptures.

Ginger

I visited the local Universalist Unitarian Fellowship, and they told me that no one in their congregation was competent in teaching the bible. They were looking for someone who could instruct the younger members in bible study. None of them agree much with biblical principles but they said that because Americas culture has been heavily influenced by the King James bible, their younger members need to know what the bible is about in order to fit in.

I thought it was a great idea, but I did not volunteer to teach because I have no experience in teaching scriptures.

Wow! That is a great opportunity.

I hope they find someone fit to teach. Too many “christians” could volunteer for such a task and use it to spread their personal theology.

…although, you should keep in mind they are not specifically asking to compare their religion against Catholicism or any other denomination. But probably seeking to gain some level of understanding of the Scriptures - perhaps to arm themselves to witness to mainstream Christians. :shrug:

I love when opportunities like this arise.

I have even witnessed to muslims. They offered to teach me :slight_smile:

Ginger

How can you use scripture when they don’t believe in it?

They use Scripture to support their beliefs - which says a lot since they admit they have no one in their local organization who can lead a Bible study. :wink:

The best we can do is use God’s word and pray. Ultimately they will choose to believe whatever they want to believe.

But I like these opportunities because it is so rewarding when you see the light come on for someone. However, most of the time the relationship ends without seeing the final result. Then you just continue to pray.

Ginger

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.