United Church of Christ Endorses Same Sex Marriage

I couldn’t believe my eyes, today, as I read the front page of my newspaper this morning. The United Church of Christ Synod has formerly endorsed same sex marriage. And by a whopping 80 % vote! :eek:

First it was the Anglicans and now the Church of Christ. Will more denominations follow in the same path out of fear of civil suits? And what of our church? Will she someday allow same sex marriage as well? I tell you, churches in America have hit rock bottom in being apathetic to the immorality being allowed and not forcefully speaking out.

The United Chruch of CHrist. Not the Chruch of CHrist. The CHruch of HCirst is neither a Denomenation, nor affiliated withhe United VChruch of CHrist, nor does it endorse Same Sex marriage.

I did put United Church of Christ in my topic heading. So cool off. No one meant to rattle your cage Zarove. :slight_smile:

[quote=justcatholic]I couldn’t believe my eyes, today, as I read the front page of my newspaper this morning. The United Church of Christ Synod has formerly endorsed same sex marriage. And by a whopping 80 % vote! :eek:

First it was the Anglicans and now the Church of Christ. Will more denominations follow in the same path out of fear of civil suits? And what of our church? Will she someday allow same sex marriage as well? I tell you, churches in America have hit rock bottom in being apathetic to the immorality being allowed and not forcefully speaking out.
[/quote]

Our Church will not fail though the gates of hell make things hot. This may mean that there are only several thousand Catholics left in the world in 10 years. I plan on being one through the Grace of God.

I wasnt upset. I just need to make this clear. You said…

“First it was the Anglicans and now the Church of Christ.”

Many tend to think fo the Chruch of HCirst and the Untied Chruch of CHirdt as the same intety. Had ot make the distinction.

The Vatican may issue a statement on the matter,
perhaps calling it an “impediment” to possible unity in the future.
Rather than a mere impediment to some ecumenical “unity” between our churches, the decision by the UCC is actually evidence
of the full-blown Apostasy of those people.
St. Paul said to regard such people as accursed.
Love to all,
Jaypeeto2

[quote=ZAROVE]The United Chruch of CHrist. Not the Chruch of CHrist. The CHruch of HCirst is neither a Denomenation, nor affiliated withhe United VChruch of CHrist, nor does it endorse Same Sex marriage.
[/quote]

And neither is, in actuallity, the Church of Christ, which is the Catholic Church founded by Jesus on the Rock of Peter.

You know what I don’t understand about all this? Isn’t a Christian church, whether Catholic or Protestant suppose to present wholesome moral values to the society they live in? How in the world can a Christian church by **any name ** call two people who are married in a said church truly married **in the sight of God ** I can understand a civil marriage. But in a church? Are these church leaders sick or what? I make no apology for this post.

justcatholic,

Catholics often do things that are not very “Christian” as well, in a general way we all do…

However, can Protestants be called Christians?

[quote=TPJCatholic]justcatholic,

Catholics often do things that are not very “Christian” as well, in a general way we all do…

However, can Protestants be called Christians?
[/quote]

According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church (what Pope John Paul II called the “sure norm” for teaching the faith), they are indeed Christians.

FWIW there is a thread on the same subject on “In THe News” I believe. THis is no surprise for this particular church. It is bleeding memberships and looking for a niche

Lisa N

[quote=Lisa N]FWIW there is a thread on the same subject on “In THe News” I believe. THis is no surprise for this particular church. It is bleeding memberships and looking for a niche

Lisa N
[/quote]

Which seems to beg the question: wouldn’t it stand to reason that the Metropolitan Community “Church” would have the biggest market share for this particulary demographic? They have both Protestant and “Catholic” forms of worship, so all the liturgical bases are covered. I think the ECUSA and the UCC have sold themselves down the river to no good purpose.

[quote=justcatholic]I couldn’t believe my eyes, today, as I read the front page of my newspaper this morning. The United Church of Christ Synod has formerly endorsed same sex marriage. And by a whopping 80 % vote! :eek:

[/quote]

I’m not surprised at all. The UCC (Unitarians Considering Christ) also has endorsed abortion and a whole host of other evils. Why we even bother with ecumenical dialogue with these groups is beyond my comprehension.

Jkirk,

Of course they are Christians by the simple fact that they love Christ and accept as God and Savior. Yet, is that really all that is needed to be a true Christian? For if it is, then what exactly does the Roman Catholic faith have that could attract our separated brethren. In other words, if God views Methodists (pick a denom) and Catholics the same, then why would a Methodist ever want to be a Catholic?

[quote=TPJCatholic]Jkirk,

Of course they are Christians by the simple fact that they love Christ and accept as God and Savior. Yet, is that really all that is needed to be a true Christian? For if it is, then what exactly does the Roman Catholic faith have that could attract our separated brethren. In other words, if God views Methodists (pick a denom) and Catholics the same, then why would a Methodist ever want to be a Catholic?
[/quote]

I’m not jkirk but I’ll respond. The UCC is not Christ centered despite their name. The term “Unitarians Considering Christ” is a good description. While both Unitarians and UCC’s admire Jesus and accept some of his teachings, they do not necessarily see him as divine or God and Savior. I don’t know if they really consider themselves Christians based on your definitions.

The UCC is a church trying to find itself. As so many have commented on this forum, as the various Protestant groups splinter and break apart over various issues, they lose their reason for being. It’s a very liberal, socially active group, long on passion and short on theology.

Lisa N

In judging these other churches when they drop the ball, keep in mind that our own American Catholic Church was one of the worst offenders. When a majority of our bishops closed their eyes to sex between priests and boys, and instead of seeking their prosecution they transfered the offending priests to unwary flocks, thus generating statutory homosexual rape of between 50,000 and 100,000 boys, they functionally did worse than the United Church of Christ did this week.

[quote=TPJCatholic]Jkirk,

[/quote]

Why wouldn’t they? I’ve never understood this argument. I rejoice in all that I’m given as a Catholic. I never don’t feel like going to Mass, I rejoice in Confession, Lord, I was a Catholic long before I was ever a Catholic. You seem to imply that the “big stick” is the only reasonable way to make a convert or at least inform someone of Catholic teaching in a conversation. As for how God views the denominations vs. the Church, I never said they were the same. I said we need to follow and submit to the Catechism. It certainly does NOT say they are the same.

[quote=Lisa N]I’m not jkirk but I’ll respond. The UCC is not Christ centered despite their name. The term “Unitarians Considering Christ” is a good description. While both Unitarians and UCC’s admire Jesus and accept some of his teachings, they do not necessarily see him as divine or God and Savior. I don’t know if they really consider themselves Christians based on your definitions.

The UCC is a church trying to find itself. As so many have commented on this forum, as the various Protestant groups splinter and break apart over various issues, they lose their reason for being. It’s a very liberal, socially active group, long on passion and short on theology.

Lisa N
[/quote]

Lisa, I totally agree. I wasn’t talking about the wiggy UCC. I was responding to this question: “However, can Protestants be called Christians?” My Protestant relatives aren’t UCC and would be appalled if their denominations took a similar action…which, I can pretty much promise, they won’t, being hard-shell Baptists.

JKirk,

My points were not really an argument, they were really more of a general question. The Catholic faith was essentially the only Christian faith for over 1500 years, and even after the Protestant revolt the Christian world remained heavily Catholic for many years–the vast majority of the history of the Christian faith has seen the Roman Catholic faith as its center as given by the head of the Church, Jesus Christ.

Now. either the Catholic faith is the full faith, or it is not. If it is the full faith, and if Jesus did give us that full faith, then every person on earth (including the continuing revolters known as Protestants) should be Catholic.

If everyone should be Catholic, then how are we helping that scenario by basically saying Protestants and other people of other faiths hold the truth(s) as well? I know the Catechism, I also know that the Church does not equate the religions…yet the net impact of what the Church currently teaches is that many people walk away feeling as if all faiths hold divine truths that can save and that all faiths are more or less equal to each other (example: scientology is more or less equal to the Roman Catholic faith).

I think it is important to recall that the current statements by the Church in the Catechism has NOT always been the spoken teaching of the Church…one can wonder why suddenly all other faiths have been elevated, or the Catholic faith has been lowered.

That is a very real problem with the notion of ever hoping for unity.

Lisa,

You might want to go here: ucc.org/faith/index.html

That link will give you a very good idea of what the UCC believes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.