United Church of Christ Pastor Blesses Planned Parenthood After It Sells Aborted Babies

United Church of Christ Minister Tom Davis recently offered blessings to Planned Parenthood after videos were released showing their top executives haggling over the price of aborted babies’ body parts and explaining ways they alter abortion procedures to obtain “fully-intact human cadavers.” Unbelievably, the most recent video catches Planned Parenthood harvesting the brain of an aborted baby who was still alive.
However, some in the religious community are standing by the abortion company even though well-known religious leaders, such as Rev. Franklin Graham and Baptist theologian Albert Mohler, have expressed outrage over the footage. In fact, World Magazine reports that Davis says churches have supported Planned Parenthood’s abortion business for years and they’ve worked “below the public radar with mainline Protestant and Jewish clergy to build alliances with the abortion company.”

lifenews.com/2015/08/20/united-church-of-christ-pastor-blesses-planned-parenthood-after-it-sells-aborted-babies/

Different faiths, including Christian faiths such as the United Church of Christ, have differing views on abortion, contraception, and other matters. The United Church of Christ is one that has long recognized that legally in the United States, woman have reproductive rights and the right to an abortion under the confines of the 1973 SCOTUS ruling Roe v Wade. The United Church of Christ believes all life is sacred while also understanding there can be conflicting realities present which can affect lives, not only the unborn life but also the woman’s life or the lives of her family and other loved ones. And believes Jesus affirms women as full partners in the faith and with the capability to make decisions that affect their lives. Here are a couple of links which may be of help in understanding their views.

d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/unitedchurchofchrist/legacy_url/455/reproductive-health-and-justice.pdf?1418423872

ucc.org/justice_womens-issues_reproductive-justice

Matthew /NAB

False Prophets.*
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but underneath are ravenous wolves.
l By their fruits you will know them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles?
Just so, every good tree bears good fruit, and a rotten tree bears bad fruit.
A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a rotten tree bear good fruit.
Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.
So by their fruits you will know them.

So they believe that life is sacred while rationalizing the desecration of the sacred. Their views are not conflicting as much as they are contrary in and of themselves. Schizophrenia perhaps?

This doesn’t surprise me. The UCC is by far the most liberal of all the mainline churches.

yep! :frowning:

Of course the Catholic faithful might label the United Church of Christ or other branches of the Christian faith as false prophets. But I doubt they would agree.

I would agree looking at the UCC in terms of general denominational policy. However individual congregations certainly can and do vary. But the word “liberal” is not a bad word to those who are as it may be to those of a more conservative way of thinking.

No not schizophrenia. Just in good faith a different understanding of the realities of life compared to the understandings that some others may have.

United Church of Christ Minister Tom Davis recently offered blessings to Planned Parenthood after videos were released showing their top executives haggling over the price of aborted babies’ body parts…

Hm. There’s a big difference between recognizing that something is legal & giving it their blessing.

abortion is not a reality of life, it is a reality of death.

Agree. You will find many faithful and devout Christians who are as above. Me, for instance.

A different understanding of the reality of sucking the brains out of a live baby? Please tell me you won’t defend that. :frowning:

A “good faith” understanding of the reality of sucking the brains out of a live baby? Please tell me, what would that be? :frowning:

And Hitler had different views on the Jews. That is no defense.

Would it recognize slavery if it were still legal in this country? Does it submit to the laws of man over the laws of God?

Oh, my…

Do you think Jesus affirms a woman’s decision to take the life of her own child? Really?

The UCC believes “all life is sacred.” Baloney.:mad:

I would hardly call the UCC " Christian " at all .

:frowning: Yet your church does.

With all due respect to Catholic theology, there are nevertheless many religious and theological perspectives on when life and personhood begins so I would argue it is a defense once one comes to such an understanding that not all equate a fertilized egg or zygote, nor an embryo or fetus with the Holocaust of the Jewish people. And the UCC joins others in advocating that public policy must honor this rich religious diversity. The UCC takes the view that this is not a pro-abortion position but a pro-faith, pro-family and pro-woman position.

d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/unitedchurchofchrist/legacy_url/455/reproductive-health-and-justice.pdf?1418423872

And no. A UCC tradition was one of the first to take a stand against slavery.

ucc.org/about-us_old-firsts

What I think is that I do not walk in her shoes to be able to even begin to know what she sees herself facing as realities within her own life or within her family’s lives. Nor do I think I can get inside her conscience, as only God can, deep within where it is we are alone with God. (CCC 1776) And I then think it is best for me to leave such a decision to her and her drs, her family, her clergy, and to God. When in many cases I can imagine she struggles and prays deeply over her decision. And then most importantly of all, I think it is best to leave it to Jesus to know and judge her mind, her soul, her heart. Not for I.

But then this is just one reason why I do not hold to the Catholic faith as you do.

To all who walk in faith and to those faced with their own personal struggles and conflicted realities they find in their own sacred lives, God’s peace and blessings.

So have you been watching any of these videos?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.