united Church of Christ

anyone heardof them? i saw an ad on the tv where they showed there were bunch of people in the church and they got kicked out cause they were either gay, single mothers, etc. and the UCC said that they accept everybody or something…

are they considered Christian by most people and what denomination are they based on?

I’ve seen the ads but know nothing about the church.

The ad currently running has the “undesirables” being ejected by springloaded pews.

[quote=coyote]I’ve seen the ads but know nothing about the church.

The ad currently running has the “undesirables” being ejected by springloaded pews.
[/quote]

yeah thats the one

[quote=Muslim]anyone heardof them? i saw an ad on the tv where they showed there were bunch of people in the church and they got kicked out cause they were either gay, single mothers, etc. and the UCC said that they accept everybody or something…

are they considered Christian by most people and what denomination are they based on?
[/quote]

The UCC was formed by a merger of three different groups:

The Congregational churches, who are descended from the Puritans who settled in New England in the 17th century.

The Evangelical and Reformed Church, which was itself a merger of two different groups of German immigrants, one of them Reformed (“Calvinist”) and the other a fusion of Lutherans and Reformed.

The Christian Connection, which was part of the “restorationist” movement of the 19th century (which also gave rise to the Disciples of Christ; the Christian Churches and Churches of Christ; and the Churches of Christ).

Except for the Christian Connection and the Lutheran roots of the “Evangelical Synod,” the UCC churches have a Reformed (“Calvinist”) heritage. Basically they are a liberal Protestant denomination (with very loose central authority, though) of primarily Reformed origins. Individual congregations vary greatly–not all of them are liberal.

Edwin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.