UNITED STATES - INDIA - Silicon Valley: US firm "grossly" exploits Indian workers at a dollar an hour [AN]

US labour regulators fine Electronics for Imaging, a California-based company that grossly underpaid eight workers from Bangalore for 122 hours of weekly work without overtime pay. The company ignored the state’s minimum wage law, and paid the workers in rupees.

More…

And this is a surprise for what reason?

Let’s face it folks, all this sending of jobs overseas is just for this purpose. They get away with violating labor laws, environmental safety laws, workers rights…you name it. And it is big business that is behind this. It started to take off in the 80’s and has gotten worse ever since.

Being a BPO employee, I can’t say I agree with you. Whatever happened to judging on a case-by-case basis? :shrug:

The company claims it was an “oversight” on their part. I find that hard to believe given this day and age. It wouldn’t surprise me if they did it to see if they could get away with it based on the workers unfamiliarity of US labor laws.

The government needs to put some teeth into the laws where it is a felony offense with mandatory jail time if convicted.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.