United Way drops policy tied to abortion services

United Way drops policy tied to abortion services

• The United Way of Buffalo & Erie County has rescinded a decades-old policy prohibiting funding for agencies that provide abortion services.
    The changes come nearly two years after Planned Parenthood of Western New York was denied a request for a $3,000 United Way grant to help cover costs associated with a merger of Planned Parenthood in Erie and Niagara counties.
    The United Way at the time was pushing for more mergers and collaborations among area nonprofit agencies, and staff members with the organization encouraged Planned Parenthood, which provides abortions among its many services, to apply for funds. But the staff members were not aware of a “position statement,” used by the organization’s board of directors in governance, which says that programs and providers funded by the United Way “are not involved in the delivery of abortion services.”

…Mollenberg called Planned Parenthood Chief Executive Officer Karen J. Nelson on Tuesday to explain the change.
“Of course, I was delighted to receive this call, and I do look forward to more discussions with the board at the United Way,” Nelson said. “We would certainly treat the United Way as a new funder and one we would like to cultivate a relationship with, the same as any new funder.”

more…

United Way in our area has been a donor to Planned Parenthood for years. That is why I haven’t contributed to this agency for more than 15 ys. More reasons to pray.

I always advise people to avoid United Way, and other ‘charities’ like this that are not truly charities and tainted by funding immoral activities.

When choosing a charity one cannot simply give for the pleasure of giving to whomever comes up with a cup asking for a donation, or you could be supporting a cause against Christ.

A person must spend the time researching good charities before finding some causes worth giving to. And might I add, truly good spiritual causes are generally superior to material causes so they should receive the greater part. :smiley:

The Cardinal Kung Foundation, the F.S.S.P., I like these causes. :slight_smile:

The United Way in other parts of the country too gives money to organizations who fund abortions. I know of several cases where local United Way groups have said that the money given to them is not used to pay for abortions, when it turned out later that they did give to abortion-funding agencies. The organizations that they passed the money had innocuous names, so it was not obvious they paid for abortions if you saw a list of the names of the organizations receiving this money. There are a number of worthy charities, and I advise giving to them rather than United Way.

The United Way has supported abortion here in Rhode Island for quite awhile but I hadn’t known it. They lost me years ago anyway when they published an income scale telling me what my “fair share” was.

I know many Catholic Charities work with the United Way. I think it is time that relationship is permanently severed.

I donate to my local United Way but have my funds go to the Boy Scouts of America. Which is important for some United Ways have pulled funding from or have denied The BSA access to the program. some may may considered instead of not supporting United Way check out the local United Way and find which programs or organizations particpate. Then direct your donations to organization within the program that can be supported, many businesses match donations.

If they support programs in the local area such as PP send a letter indicating donation would be forthcoming, but under the current circumstances it is immoral to support United Way at all becuase of its support for PP. IMHO Do or do not participate silently but be pro-active by directing donations or not giving with a written voical protest.

In your case send your local UW a letter once a year stating that if they didn’t support Planned Parenthood your letter would have included a check.:cool:

Same here. I never give to the United Way either. What is wrong with these people? :confused:

[quote=Bennie P;4978277**]I donate to my local United Way but have my funds go to the Boy Scouts of America. Which is important for some United Ways have pulled funding from or have denied The BSA access to the program
[/quote]

. some may may considered instead of not supporting United Way check out the local United Way and find which programs or organizations particpate. Then direct your donations to organization within the program that can be supported, many businesses match donations.

If they support programs in the local area such as PP send a letter indicating donation would be forthcoming, but under the current circumstances it is immoral to support United Way at all becuase of its support for PP. IMHO Do or do not participate silently but be pro-active by directing donations or not giving with a written voical protest.

In your case send your local UW a letter once a year stating that if they didn’t support Planned Parenthood your letter would have included a check.:cool:

You know you give directly to the BSA through the Friends of the Boy Scouts Program.

This is overstating it a bit. It would be immoral to contribute money to them for the purpose of supporting abortion.

I was very deeply confused by all the boycott talk on this forum a couple of years ago; we need to tone down the “moral obligation” rhetoric when we are not quoting from Church dogma. It gives lurkers the wrong impression and confuses people who are seeking answers.

Peace,
Dante

We did, here in Vancouver, years ago. The reason? Planned Parenthood was admitted to the Vancouver United Way program.

Blessings,

Gerry

You should have seen the look on my former bosses face when she was coercing staff to subscribe to United Way pay deductions and I refused due to its support for abortion.You would have thought that I’d grown horns and a tail.

Good for you. That took courage.

The preceding poster said:
]You should have seen the look on my former bosses face when she was coercing staff to subscribe to United Way pay deductions and I refused due to its support for abortion.You would have thought that I’d grown horns and a tail.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.