Unity Church - New Age Religion :)

Hi! Let me just say something about myself religiously and as a person. I’m 16 years old, and have grown up in a religion called “Unity” all my life. It’s so normal to me, that I forget how different it is compared to my friends’ other Christian religions (Unity IS a branch of Christianity, by the way). I was told once that my religion is a “cult”. I was kind of surprised and laughed a little. That had never crossed my mind. Me, as a person, I’m very open-minded. My friends come from all different backgrounds, religiously, ethically, and personality wise. So believe me when I say that I truly am open to opinions and beliefs. I’m super curious. :3 but please keep in mind, like any person, I can get offended or defensive when people are really mean. I don’t mind if people disagree, agree, and discuss like a person with proper etiquette would do in person.

Anyway, for those of you who don’t fully understand/know what Unity is, I shall explain:
Unity works off the basis of the 5 Principles of Unity. Our worship services have lots of music and revolve around a ‘lesson for the week’ or just a lesson. Ministers are female or male. Prayer and affirmative prayer is very important, as it is a part of thought, and we create our life experiences through our thinking. We believe the paradigm, or way of thought/life, is very powerful as it shapes your life. Spirituality can improve your life. If you are in Y.O.U.(Youth of Unity), which are the high school kids, have their regional events youth lead (At least in the Pacific NW region where I’m from).
Unity can co-exist with pretty much any religion. There aren’t too many set rules, mostly guidelines. For example, in my specific chapel we use the Prayer for Protection(which I say every night to my bunnies), the Lord’s Prayer(obviously Christian), and “Namaste”(Hinduism). We mix different aspects and/or practices from other religions into our own. Unity is quite flexible.

“God is Spirit, the loving source of all that is. God is the one power, all good, everywhere present, all wisdom. God is divine energy, continually creating, expressing and sustaining all creation. In God, we live and move and have our being. In Unity, some other ways we speak of God are Life, Light, Love, Substance, Principle, Law and Universal Mind.”

Anyway, the reason why I’m writing all this is:

1. I found a thread earlier that stated it’s opinion in a way that offended me just a little because of the wording and slight ignorance (I forgot if it was this site or another one)
  2. To inform people a breif overview of what Unity is and what it means to me
  3. To see other peoples’ thoughts on Unity. Whether this thread is the first time you’ve heard of this religion, or if you’ve heard of it and think it’s weird (it’s okay, you’re not the only I xD ), I’m curious on what you had previously thought of Unity before, and what you think of it after reading this. :slight_smile:

christianity.about.com/od/Unity/a/Unity-Beliefs.htm
christianity.about.com/od/Unity/a/Unity-Church.htm
unity.org/about-us/our-philosophy
lalalamagicbeanslalala.tumblr.com/post/56862734366/expression-connection (My post after one of the Y.O.U. Events. Unity/y.o.u. Is one of the most important things in my life. :slight_smile:

Well, I don’t really have too many thoughts. I will say I see some compatibility issues of blending Christianity (monotheistic) and Hinduism (polytheistic). I don’t really understand why you need to bring in elements from other religions. Do you find the Christian faith lacking on its own? Christ did not say, “I am a way, a truth, and a life.” He said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” If Christ is the only way to the Father, then why bring in other faiths? Do you not fully trust in the His Word? I don’t mean to try to tear down your religion - these are simply some big questions I have based on your statement.

=lovelyiswinter;11305395]Hi! Let me just say something about myself religiously and as a person. I’m 16 years old, and have grown up in a religion called “Unity” all my life. It’s so normal to me, that I forget how different it is compared to my friends’ other Christian religions (Unity IS a branch of Christianity, by the way). I was told once that my religion is a “cult”. I was kind of surprised and laughed a little. That had never crossed my mind. Me, as a person, I’m very open-minded. My friends come from all different backgrounds, religiously, ethically, and personality wise. So believe me when I say that I truly am open to opinions and beliefs. I’m super curious. :3 but please keep in mind, like any person, I can get offended or defensive when people are really mean. I don’t mind if people disagree, agree, and discuss like a person with proper etiquette would do in person.

Anyway, for those of you who don’t fully understand/know what Unity is, I shall explain:
Unity works off the basis of the 5 Principles of Unity. Our worship services have lots of music and revolve around a ‘lesson for the week’ or just a lesson. Ministers are female or male. Prayer and affirmative prayer is very important, as it is a part of thought, and we create our life experiences through our thinking. We believe the paradigm, or way of thought/life, is very powerful as it shapes your life. Spirituality can improve your life. If you are in Y.O.U.(Youth of Unity), which are the high school kids, have their regional events youth lead (At least in the Pacific NW region where I’m from).
Unity can co-exist with pretty much any religion. There aren’t too many set rules, mostly guidelines. For example, in my specific chapel we use the Prayer for Protection(which I say every night to my bunnies), the Lord’s Prayer(obviously Christian), and “Namaste”(Hinduism). We mix different aspects and/or practices from other religions into our own. Unity is quite flexible.

“God is Spirit, the loving source of all that is. God is the one power, all good, everywhere present, all wisdom. God is divine energy, continually creating, expressing and sustaining all creation. In God, we live and move and have our being. In Unity, some other ways we speak of God are Life, Light, Love, Substance, Principle, Law and Universal Mind.”

Anyway, the reason why I’m writing all this is:

1. I found a thread earlier that stated it’s opinion in a way that offended me just a little because of the wording and slight ignorance (I forgot if it was this site or another one)
  2. To inform people a breif overview of what Unity is and what it means to me
  3. To see other peoples’ thoughts on Unity. Whether this thread is the first time you’ve heard of this religion, or if you’ve heard of it and think it’s weird (it’s okay, you’re not the only I xD ), I’m curious on what you had previously thought of Unity before, and what you think of it after reading this. :slight_smile:

christianity.about.com/od/Unity/a/Unity-Beliefs.htm
christianity.about.com/od/Unity/a/Unity-Church.htm
unity.org/about-us/our-philosophy
lalalamagicbeanslalala.tumblr.com/post/56862734366/expression-connection (My post after one of the Y.O.U. Events. Unity/y.o.u. Is one of the most important things in my life. :slight_smile:

My friend while this gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling it is critical to one’s salvation to understand:

[caps for emphasis, not shouting]
TRUE GOD IS SINGULAR

THEREFORE GOD’S FAITH CAN LOGICALLY [AND FACTUALLY] ALSO BE ONLY SINGULAR

GOD HAS WITH CONSISTANCY ALWAYS HAD ONLY ONE CHOSEN PEOPLE:
OT = THE HEBREW NATION’
NT = TODAYS CATHOLC CHURCH

SALVATION IS ONLY POSSIBLE GOD’S WAY [THIS IS SOLIDLY BIBLICAL]

God Bless you, and thanks for sharing:)

Theologically flawed.

The Bible extracts you quoted state that you have to become someone like Him (Jesus) in order to achieve Oneness with God (=heaven). But becoming Christ-like also means becoming Buddha-like, etc. So do you “need” other religions? Not necessarily, but it might be wise not to dismiss the other teachings completely.

Hi Lovelyiswinter!
Thank you for writing about your Church! I would be interested to find out more about the 5 principles of unity you mentioned.

Sounds like another relativistic attempt to make Christianity less than it is by mixing it with inherently flawed polytheistic methodology and philosophy.

Considering that the person who has become known as the Buddah reject the concept of God, the afterlife, and most things even remotely religious in nature, I highly- highly doubt that. Also, consider that Buddhism calls for you to be entirely self-centered (focused on teh self, meaning that any positive action in Buddhism is one which elevates the self to a “higher state”) and Catholicism calls for you to be devoid of self, to leave the self out of it and focus entirely on the will of God; I highly doubt that emulating the Buddah would be even remotely close to emulating The Christ.

It’s relativistic nonsense like that which leads to the horrifically flawed notion that everything’s fine so long as you follow some personal belief system. Two things which are diametrically opposed in nature and content (Christianity and Buddhism) cannot both be true. You need to seriously rethink your position on this.

The verse does not say that you need to be like Jesus. It says that you need Him - that there are no substitutions. There is a difference. Christ was not just a philosophical teacher. If He were, then sure, I could see other religions being valid. However, He wasn’t just a wise man, a healer, etc. He is the Word Incarnate. If He says his way is the only way, then that pretty well knocks out the other religions. Not to say the people in those religions can’t be inspirational, but that doesn’t make their faith true. I have great friends who are good people who are atheists. It doesn’t mean I should incorporate atheism into my life. I also have friends in the Krishna community, but I certainly will not take to their prayers or their teachings. The idea of a Unity Church is nice and warm and fuzzy, but it really seems like it’s just trying to be inclusive to everything. Yes, we should love everyone. Love does not mean embracing all ideas, however. We have been directed to proclaim the Truth.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Warm fuzzies are meaningless. Only the Truth has any meaning; and hte Truth is the Word, Jesus Christ.

Nope. I will stay with my Old Age Religion…

I don’t mean to be rude, but where did you get these flawed ideas about buddhism? You might have been misinformed?
I do recommend further reading to understand the real concepts and real teachings of buddhism if you are interested…

The “warm and fuzzy” idea of unity actually comes from the Bible (as well). Have you heard of Chiara Lubich, the catholic nun who started the movement of “unity” from within the Catholic Church based on the teachings of the Bible?

His way is the only way does not “knock out” the other religions at all IMO…

=Emese;11306410]The Bible extracts you quoted state that you have to become someone like Him (Jesus) in order to achieve Oneness with God (=heaven). But becoming Christ-like also means becoming Buddha-like, etc. So do you “need” other religions? Not necessarily, but it might be wise not to dismiss the other teachings completely.

The ISSUE my friend is not “what is wise” [a secualr / humanistic commonality]; BUT seek WHAT IS THEE SINGUALR TRUTH that Christ preaced, demands and commands. And YES this IS a biblically provable position.

GOD IS ONE

GOD’S FAITH IS AND LOGICALLY CAN THEREFORE ONLY BE ONE

GOD’S CHOICE HAS ALWAYS BEEN JUST ONE CHOSEN PEOPLE & AND HE DID NOT WAIT FOR HENRY, LUTHER, CALVIN, SMITH OR ANYONE ELSE TO EXPOSE AND TEACH IT.:thumbsup:

The red-hi-lighted comment is effectively AGAINST the singular truth.

ANY and ALL faiths that do allign with what the Cathoic Church teaches on FAITH & Morals, Do and ARE effectively opposed to and in competitation with Jesus Christ One TRUE Faith. Amen!:slight_smile: That dear friends is GOD"S TRUTH.

The only way an aspect of another religion can be accepted is if it doesn’t contradict with Christianity. As Catholicism holds the full Truth of Christianity, then I am going to extend the statement to Catholicism in particular. Now, this statement does mean that other religions may not be entirely incorrect in parts of their ideologies. However, if the Church has the full Truth, then those ideologies would also be found here. In that case, the other faiths become redundant. Worse, because they also contain teachings contradictory to the Truth and can lead people astray. What we have now are tons of people building their own personal belief structures, which is advised against in the bible and by the early Church fathers.

=RedFox0456;11306778]The only way an aspect of another religion can be accepted is if it doesn’t contradict with Christianity. As Catholicism holds the full Truth of Christianity, then I am going to extend the statement to Catholicism in particular. Now, this statement does mean that other religions may not be entirely incorrect in parts of their ideologies. However, if the Church has the full Truth, then those ideologies would also be found here. In that case, the other faiths become redundant. Worse, because they also contain teachings contradictory to the Truth and can lead people astray. What we have now are tons of people building their own personal belief structures, which is advised against in the bible and by the early Church fathers.

GREAT recovery:thumbsup:

Nicely Done. THANKS:D

By reading about it. The main goal of buddhism is a form of enlightenment which is achieved by emptying the person of the “self”. This is in contrast to Christianity which is about conforming the self to the will of God, rather than discarding the self.

Also, telling me I’m wrong is not an argument, nor is telling me to read more about a subject. in order to be convincing, you must present the reasons I’m wrong. Regardless of my personal state of correctness, the reasons that Buddhism and Christianity or incompatible religions has been discussed frequently here and elsewhere.

Excuse me! What is your real religious. I doubt your are Catholic with your Budhlike comment.

Is your “Unity Church” the one founded by Charles and Myrtle Fillmore?

I find the comment on redemption most telling in your link. In that the unity church doesn’t seem to comment on it, the whole idea of “salvation.” What do you do with hebrews or saint paul or the words of Christ himself who says we receive remission of sins through him?

Can I ask what you read, where you read these?
Emptying the “self” in practice actually means getting rid of the selfish ego, which is the same as christianity’s teaching. I hope that clears the confusion about the idea of the “selfishness” of buddhism.
You also state: “the person who has become known as the Buddah reject the concept of God, the afterlife” Can I ask what do you mean by that? There is afterlife and there is One God in buddhism as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.