Universal Salvation

I know the Church teaches it is hopeless for Lucifer and the fallen angels. Is one considered a heretic if they do not lose hope and continue to pray for the fallen angels’ conversions?

Personally, I think it’s a very nice thing to do. There is always hope and even fate isn’t always certain. Things can change.

But unfortunately, that comment comes from me, so I’m probably not the person to give you an accurate answer whether one would be considered heretic or not.

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Your compassion is admirable but I think you are misunderstanding what an angel is. Angels are not creatures that breed, live and die, nor do they occupy time and space. They are immortal beings who, upon the moment of their creation decided if they would serve God or not. This decision was indelible–meaning they will not/cannot change their minds. Therefore, those who chose to defy God cannot change nor would they change given the chance to. It’s hard for us as human beings to understand such beings, I know, but they have made their choice and we can do nothing to change them one way or the other. It’s what makes our guardian angels and the others that serve God completely reliable–something we all need to be thankful for. :slight_smile:

Heretic? Probably not.

However, God gives us the time to pray and praying for something that just can’t be any other way is kind of a waste of that time.

Scripture says:
[Matthew]
{25:41} Then he shall also say, to those who will be on his left: ‘Depart from me, you accursed ones, into the eternal fire, which was prepared for the devil and his angels.’

Therefore, the devil and his angels will be sent to Hell and cannot repent.

Furthermore, in the Tradition of the Church, the faithful have NEVER prayed for the fallen angels.

You should abandon this false opinion.

You would not be a heretic but you would be wasting your time.

Praying for fallen angels? Dangerous, I think you would be better off praying to Micheal the Archangel in his job of defeating the angels of darkness.

Hey, let the poor OP alone: I think he means well. I personally think, during the time His Body was in the tomb, Christ may have approached some of the lesser fallen angels and offered them the chance to make amends (according to some exorcists, including – I think – Malachi Martin, there are some demons who are at the bottom of the lowerarchy of Hell and are more likely to “rat out” their superiors to try and get a lock put on them and so decrease some of their own suffering).

However, angels – fallen or faithful (or, neutral in the case of the Grigori mentioned in the Book of Enoch, if they actually exist) – don’t think the way we do, and it seems when they make a choice to go one way or the other, it’s locked in and they can’t go back on it.

There should be no compassion for the very tempters who try to lure us into destruction. We should only fear gods justice from his example of them.

Heh, I was taking a Thomistic approach to my answer, in first giving it reasons why the OP’s idea worked, and secondly, giving reasons why it didn’t work.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.