universalis

The website www.universalis.com seems to have what appears to me to be the liturgy of the hours. This is for the episcopy and the presbyters to recite if I understand correctly. The instructions are a little vague and I don’t know what antiphon is but does this have to be prayed if laity wants to do it several times a day? I don’t know how to do it. :confused:

Bill

An antiphon is one or more psalm verses or sentences from Holy Scripture sung or recited before and after each psalm and the Magnificat during during Matins and Vespers.

Latin Rite:
liturgies.net/Liturgies/Catholic/loh/

**Oct 5 was the 27th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Week 27 - Ordinary Time - Saturday (October 11):

**Invitatory

[LIST]
*]Antiphon: Come, let us worship God who holds the world and its wonders in his creating hand.
[/LIST]
Readings
[LIST]
*]Antiphon 1: Let us praise the Lord for his mercy and for the wonderful things he has done for us.
*]Antiphon 2 We have seen the works of God, the marvels he has done.
*]Antiphon 3 Those who love the Lord will see and rejoice; they will understand his loving kindness.
[/LIST]

liturgies.net/Liturgies/Catholic/loh/week27saturdayor.htm

They also make an app that is very good.
I used it for a long while and then found the one by surge works. It’s better, but you need to have wifi to download a couple of days at a time.
The universalis one, if you buy it, will give you everything all the time, no need for wifi. And it will put the church calendar on yours say on the iPad pr iPhone.
The free one is good too, but I think you need to download each day?
Not sure if they have an android one.

I prefer divineoffice.org They use approved translations of the texts and spell everything out to make it easy.

I also use iBreviary on my phone. It’s a free app and I think available for both android and iphones. Again, it uses the official texts which I think is important.

That divine office.com one is the one by Surge Works I mentioned.
The app has recordings that make it seem like you are praying with others.
I love it.

It might be cultural differences, but I found the Divineoffice.com audio versions to be painful to listen to. The dramatic whispering in the way they read the psalms and readings made it sound, to my ears, as if they were making fun of the text, which I’m sure was not the intention.

The Universalis App gives me everything in the currently approved official translations for my country, and is convenient, loads quickly, holds everything offline (which makes a huge difference to me), and has convenient other options to do with the text. I don’t see why “uses the official translation” would be an advantage of the surgeworks app, when Universalis does that too, and in fact allows you to choose other approved official translations from other countries, which means I don’t have to use the American translation, but you can choose to.

Maybe you’re only looking at the free app, as opposed to the paid-for version of the web version? The free app has a different translation of the psalms, for copyright reasons. The paid-for and web versions have the Grail psalms.

I use Divine Office on my ipod. When I discovered I could speed up the audio to 1.3 I like it better I don’t take it at all as they are making fun of it but a style that isn’t like mine. (It does seem less dramatic at a faster speed)
I use Universalis for the Office of the Readings.

I do notice the slowness of some of the readers.
I always thought the slowness was for the advantage of older people. Those who can’t get out much or read slowly, or not at all might be a large customer base. I tolerate it because of that. I could be wrong, it’s just what I figured might be the reason behind it.
I like the dramatics.

I didn’t know Universalis used the approved translations for anywhere. Their web site says they don’t have the translations for the US and I misinterpreted that to mean anywhere at all. It’s good to know that’s not the case.

I was just looking back at Bill’s first message where he says the Office is for “the episcopy and the presbyters.” It goes much further than that! There are people who are obligated to pray it – also including deacons and many religious, according to their Rules. And then there are huge numbers of people who pray it from devotion rather than obligation. The Liturgy of the Hours is a way of sanctifying the day and joining with the whole Church in continuous prayer. It has the side benefit of making you familiar with the Psalms and their many moods.

That’s only for the website. As I said, the paid-for app has the Grail psalms and the choice between the Jerusalem Bible and the New American Bible for the readings. The paid-for app (and you can just pay for a single month, or the whole thing) has the official translations, and is fully localisable. You can tell them which diocese you’re in, and it matches the calendar fully to your diocese (I haven’t found an error yet), with options to choose other feasts or saints each day if you choose, and localises the translations. You can choose the translation for readings and psalms, you can choose to see the Latin or Greek alongside many texts, and can choose to see the priests private prayers during Mass (or not). It’s all so personalisable, and it’s improved so much over the years I’ve been using it. When I had questions about the translations used, I asked on the blog and the guy who runs it was really helpful, he really takes it seriously.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.