Universalism

If the word Catholic means universal - then why do I get the impression that Universalism is heresy?

UniversalISM is the belief that all people WILL be saved, i.e., there’s no possibility of a soul being condemned to the eternal punishment of hell (ergo, Satan is saved).

It also states that all religions are equal, or more or less the same. There is no superiority of any religion among the others. Doesn’t matter that they state opposite facts, they are accepted both as right, which is irrational, in itself. Ergo: all, or most (like 99.9999%), are saved. Doesn’t matter what religion you are in, or what your personal belief is, nor what you do in this life. God will save you against your will. Smt like that.
It’s one of the biggest heresy of the time.

EDIT: As for the word confusion, I would expect some very intelligent and malevolent being doing something like that. Taking something holy and transforming it into something that’s exactly the opposite.

The universality of Christ’s redemptive work means that he shed his blood for all persons. For example:Then as one man’s trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one man’s act of righteousness leads to acquittal and life for all men. (Rom. 5:18)

For God has consigned all men to disobedience, that he may have mercy upon all. (Rom. 11:32)

Christ Jesus…gave himself as a ransom for all… (1 Tim. 2:6)

For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe. (1 Tim 4:10)
Yet, not all will avail themselves of God’s grace:Rom. 14:15 If your brother is being injured by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. Do not let what you eat cause the ruin of one for whom Christ died. (Rom. 14:15)

And so by your knowledge this weak man is destroyed, the brother for whom Christ died. (1 Cor. 8:11)So while Christ’s redemptive work is for all, the Church does not teach that all must therefore be saved because some will make “shipwreck” of themselves, to borrow another term from Paul.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.