University in Alabama ends football program, angering just about everyone

latimes.com/nation/la-na-alabama-football-20141231-story.html#page=1

I’m not angered, I’m delighted. I hope they pull it off. Few students seem to realize it, but at many colleges a full $1,000 or more of their tuition/fees are going to subsidize the football program every year. Yeah, there are those few money making teams, but at most colleges, it’s a HUGE financial debacle.

Francsican University of Steubenville, OH did this many years ago, ending intercollegiate sports altogether to instead focus their remaining survival resources on re-establishing their orthodox catholic identity. It worked in spades!

As college costs get more and more out of control, I hope more schools end the absurdity of mega-million dollar football programs. Given two similar university programs for my major field of study, I’d pick the non-football college with the $1,000 / year lower price tag in a heartbeat.

Good to hear.

Let the pros set up their own minor league football leagues and let the colleges teach.

Would that this became a trend and colleges get back to basics, breaking the chain of captivity to the sports / media machine.

The University of Alabama at Birmingham, canceled their program.

Very different than the University of Alabama.

Okay.

Thanks for the clarification.

Forum rules require verbatim headline, no?

Just clarifying which university the article was referencing.

I would be surprised if there was a corresponding drop in tuition.

Good for the UoA. I hate sports of all kinds.

Now if we could just outlaw it across the board in colleges and schools, we just might be abLe to outlaw it on a professional level too! :slight_smile:

What a horrid idea.

The headline was 100% accurate, I just read “of” instead of “in”. But then again, if the University of Alabama ends its football program, I am heading straight to confession because the end is near.

I chuckled at the comment from the booster club, who argued it was all necessary to promote the ‘brand’ of the university, and market it to prospective students.

That only makes sense if football was affordable, instead of a big $$ drain most years.
Better the university has a brand of educating their students.

Or we could just avoid coercion of all sorts and make sports available on a purely self-funded basis. If you don’t participate, you don’t pay into that aspect of the system. Surely that’s better than forcing all students to pay additional fees to subsidize the athletic program?

Or better than outlawing all sports at all levels completely too.

Title IX probably has something to do with this, as it has ended football programs at other smaller colleges.

Boston University had to end it’s football program years ago, and Title IX was the blame.

Jim

Fixed it for you. :smiley:

Landscaping is also a big drain most years. That’s not a good test as to whether something is worthwhile.

Like many urban universities, UAB is trying to create more in the way of student life in order to attract students who might otherwise lean toward schools with more traditonal campus life. Building a football program as one focal point isn’t the only way to do this, but it has been effective in some cities, and in Alabama it probably has a greater chance of success than some other alternatives they’ve considered.

There’s no question that this move will make scholarships and facilities easier to balance. But I don’t think the Title IX considerations played a very big role.

From what I’ve read, school leaders were eager to build an on-campus stadium for the team as an important first step in making the football program more competitive. The Board of Regents for the University of Alabama system quashed this plan because it was seen as a threat to the football program at the main campus in Tuscaloosa.

Your ‘landscaping’ justification is a Red Herring, and there is no doubt sports are a losing game to the average student. The money is all spend on athletes yet they don’t even get a proper education.

The Knight Commission says Division I schools with football spent $91,936 per athlete in 2010, seven times the spending per student of $13,628. Division I universities without football spent $39,201 per athlete, more than triple the average student spending.

Nearly every university loses money on sports. Even after private donations and ticket sales, they fill the gap by tapping students paying tuition or state taxpayers.

Athletics is among the biggest examples of the eruption in spending by universities that has experts concerned about whether higher education can sustain itself.
usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/15/athletics-cost-colleges-students-millions/2814455/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.