University of Illinois Instructor Fired Over Catholic Beliefs

To those who do not believe it would ever come to the USA, well, here it is.

URBANA, Ill. -- The University of Illinois has fired an adjunct professor who taught courses on Catholicism after a student accused the instructor of engaging in hate speech by saying he agrees with the church's teaching that homosexual sex is immoral.

The professor, Ken Howell of Champaign, has taught at the university for nine years. He says his firing violates his academic freedom.

foxnews.com/us/2010/07/09/university-illinois-instructor-fired-catholic-beliefs/

Typical liberal PC garbage. Shutting people up.

Does anyone doubt religious persecution is now at hand?

[quote="buffalo, post:3, topic:204770"]

[/quote]

This I am afraid is only the tip of the iceberg.

I understand that the Newman Center at UI also fired him. What is their beef with a Catholic man explaining why he believes the Church's teaching?

I understand that the Newman Center at UI also fired him. What is their beef with a Catholic man explaining why he believes the Church's teaching?

I wonder what's up with that too -- especially since the UI Newman Center, sponsored by the Diocese of Peoria, has long had a reputation for orthodoxy and has been regarded as one of the best in the country. Perhaps there was some kind of condition in his contract that made working for the Newman Center contingent upon his being employed by the university also. The Newman Foundation paid, or helped pay, his salary.

The Newman Center and the U of I have had a good relationship for decades. There were attempts made back in the 1970s to drop the for-credit classes in Catholic teaching but the chaplain of the Newman Center back then was VERY well-respected and he fought to keep them. Now the diocese and the Newman Center seem to be rolling over and playing dead, but perhaps there is more to the story here than we realize.

the Gay Mafia wins again.

they are becoming the most intolerant group in America, it's getting to the point where there needs to be some push-back. They are like "whack a mole" with their gay marriage law suits, no matter how many go down to defeat, they've always got a dozen more new one popping up. It never ends with these people, DEMANDING the rest of society consider their view of reality as the true one, and if you don't they try to ruin your business and get you fired.

[quote="ronnie_bonigli, post:7, topic:204770"]
It never ends with these people, DEMANDING the rest of society consider their view of reality as the true one, and if you don't they try to ruin your business and get you fired.

[/quote]

Are you sure you're not describing those who engage in boycotts against companies which support Gay Pride?

actually I'm thinking of the way they try and destroy people's lives in California for having dared to support Proposition 8. They get more and more intolerant by the year. btw, for what it's worth here's a nice story I read in the Wall Street Journal a year and a half ago, right after Proposition 8 passed, the second one down titled Gay KK

online.wsj.com/article/SB122633847111614227.html

and click the link on the title Gay KK while you're at it, it brings you to a blog discribing the hate

rodonline.typepad.com/rodonline/2008/11/n-word-and-raci.html

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:8, topic:204770"]
Are you sure you're not describing those who engage in boycotts against companies which support Gay Pride?

[/quote]

No, I do not believe he is. Rather he is expressing the opinions and biological facts. That idiots and the mentally ill want to promote deviant and unnatural and dangerous behavior, which the Lord in His wisdom has forbidden, is clearly what the poster is referring to. He is not referring to the reasonable actions, which only the same idiots and mentally ill resent, that you mentioned.

It is actions, not people, that the Church's moral teachings are aimed at. It was actions, not people, that the professor was referring to.

[quote="buffalo, post:3, topic:204770"]

[/quote]

No.

But it may be observed that there are plenty of Catholics who would also have a problem with his expressing the truth about Church teaching.

How Prof. Howell Was Dismissed for Teaching Catholic Doctrine

U. of I. reinstates Catholic instructor

n adjunct religion instructor barred from teaching by the University of Illinois after defending the Roman Catholic stance on homosexuality has been invited back to teach this fall.

Adjunct associate professor Kenneth Howell was reinstated on Thursday — a day after the deadline when his lawyers said they would sue the university for violating his academic freedom if administrators failed to reinstate him.

more...

[quote="buffalo, post:13, topic:204770"]
U. of I. reinstates Catholic instructor

n adjunct religion instructor barred from teaching by the University of Illinois after defending the Roman Catholic stance on homosexuality has been invited back to teach this fall.

Adjunct associate professor Kenneth Howell was reinstated on Thursday — a day after the deadline when his lawyers said they would sue the university for violating his academic freedom if administrators failed to reinstate him.

more...

[/quote]

This is good news.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.