University's faith policy for profs probed

cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2009/09/16/nb-crandall-university-investigation.html

I attend this University.

This makes the unsupported assumption that a professor giving a statement of X faith cannot possibly teach anything about Y faith or present a view from a no-faith perspective. Pre-employment policies also address things like the person’s character and their ability to avoid scandal, two things frequently associated with a person’s basic faith. So it might not be a matter of academic freedom, but more about the basic character of the person they are looking to employ.

I think that a private school is within their rights to require their profs be of a faith. I am not sure it is in their best interests to be too narrow, but it i within their rights. I am not sure the Catholic Universities have done themselves any favor to be too loose with this requirement. It is hard to recognize some of them as even Catholic.

The other thing is that the other Canadian Catholic universities they listed are, for the most part, Catholic in the same way Notre Dame is Catholic. I don’t think a profession of faith is a big deal, especially for a “faith-based” University.

What this is is that “radical secularism” thing again that they’re always talking about on EWTN. People who don’t go to the university want to have them change their policies so that they’re more “tolerent” of other worldviews. I think you all know where this goes from here…

I don’t mean to offend you, but I have a feeling that you really don’t know anything about the University of Notre Dame, or you would know that Catholicism is woven into every aspect of students lives there.

Yeah, but they honored the President, a pro-abortion advocate, with an honorary degree-when they did not need to. They did this for prestige and they could have had Obama speak without honoring him with the degree. You can’t argue that.

Is this what happened? Yes, it is.
Did Notre Dame make a mistake by taking these actions? Possibly. Many Catholics think so.
Does this imply that Notre Dame is no longer a Catholic institution? No, it doesn’t.
Does this imply that Catholicism is not taught at Notre Dame? No, it doesn’t.
Does this imply that Catholicism is not part of the identity of Notre Dame? No, it doesn’t.
Does this imply that Notre Dame is no longer a positive force in promoting and teaching Catholicism in America? No, it doesn’t.

Well, Notre Dame certainly doesn’t fit Newman’s “idea of a University,” What you may have is a lot of cultural Catholicism rather than one that treats theology as the major faculty.

Yet, it is proof that ND seccumbs to secular ideas over Catholicism and that is a fact. I like ND and I visit there yearly-however they were wrong. Over time many Catholic Universities are losing their claim of being a Catholic University. It could happen there too, if they continue to favor secular ideas.

You’re right…I agree that the university made a mistake, and I’m certainly not happy about the honorary degree by any means. I do think that it was a mistake because they did seek out prestige other than truth. But, we all make mistakes everyday and we’re going to just have to get over it and move on. This mistake will never change, and the university needs to move forward and be a beacon of light for the Church. The good at Notre Dame highly outweighs the bad. There are so many wonderful Catholic opportunities on that campus to help one’s faith grow. Catholicism really does permeate the overall make of the university at Notre Dame.

All universities, including Catholic ones, must engage with the secular world if they are to be a force for positive change in the world. Listening to and allowing various ideas, both good and bad ones, to be expressed within the university milieau is the very purpose of the university. It is the Catholic view that reason can lead one to God, but it is difficult to use reason if the university is not exposed to the debates surrounding it in the secular world. I do not agree that Notre Dame has succumbed to “secular ideas” to the extent that it has lost its Catholic identity. In fact, I would maintain that many “secular ideas” are good ideas and easily mesh with Catholicism. “Secular” is not the opposite of “Catholic” or of “holy.”

I am sure that is true BUT they lost to Michigan which in my mind is almost as bad as giving Obama an honorary degree. If they lose to USC I may have a real crisis of faith…

Amen! :signofcross:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.