Unknown "Structures" Tugging at Universe, Study Says

Unknown “Structures” Tugging at Universe, Study Says.

I’m no astrophysisist but a couple of points jumped out at me instantly.

1. In space there is nothing to slow down a moving object therefore if a moving object were traveling at a certain speed to start with then there would be no slowing it down in space.

2. If the big bang theory were true then all objects that were blown out when the big bang occurred would be thrown out away from the center of the big bang.

The enertia from the initial big bang force gave the initial speed to the objects that are now traveling with out impedience from the center of the source of the big bang at the percise speed that they are now traveling. So where does that make the center of the universe?

That’s interesting. I’ve often wondered why we assume that the edge of space just happens to be at the edge of the time horizon.

Yes there is something to slow things down–gravity from a massive object behind them.

1. If the big bang theory were true then all objects that were blown out when the big bang occurred would be thrown out away from the center of the big bang.

The enertia from the initial big bang force gave the initial speed to the objects that are now traveling with out impedience from the center of the source of the big bang at the percise speed that they are now traveling. So where does that make the center of the universe?

It is not that the BB blew things apart; it is that the BB started the expansion of space itself. Don’t think of objects in the universe as marbles moving apart on a flat surface; think of objects in the universe as objects on a rubber sheet that is being stretched in all directions. The objects themselves aren’t moving, but because “space” is stretching, they appear to be moving apart.

DaveBj

If we imagine that space is like a rubber sheet and everything strecthes as you say, then why aren’t the individual galazies expanding as well instead of staying together as they are. This is inconsistant with your hypothesis of an expanding space.

Gravity.

If it gravity then why are all the galaxy speeding away from each other rather than being pulled back into each other. Common, you can’t have it both ways. Either gravity is pulling things together in on themselves or the universe is expanding, or there is something else happening that science just refuses to acknowledge.

Oh, I see where you’re coming from now. You’re trying to figure out which force is more powerful. They both are, it just depends on the distances involved.

As an analogy, imagine that you’re trying to pick up a paper clip with a magnet to see which is stronger: the magnet, or earth’s gravitational pull. When the magnet is far away, gravity is stronger. When the magnet is close, the magnet is stronger. They are both stronger depending on the distance and thus, we can have it “both ways” depending on distance.

Common is right. Gravity does have effect, but the further you get from a massive object, the less force gravitational attraction will have. The Moon revolves around the Earth because it was close enough to be captured by the Earth’s gravity. The Sun has much more mass, but is farther away than the Earth, so it exerts less influence on the Moon.

The objects in galaxies are close enough to exert gravitational force on one another. However, immense distances separate galaxies.

Ok, so let’s take one Galaxy, it twirls around in space. All stars and planets witnin that galaxy are held within that galaxy by the gravitational pull of the center of that galaxy, along with the gravitational pulls of the various stars and planets therein.

The universe is made up of a multitude, unnumberable, of galaxies, each having its own gravitation energies. The question is, if the big bang happened and gravitional forces are consistantly at work why is it that

1. there are any galaxies at all?
  2. ALL galaxies are moving away from the center of the universe?
  3. All Galaxies are moving at the same speed?
    4 there isn’t just one big galaxy?
    5 Why do we not see galaxyies when we train our telescopes northward or southward, but the majority are on the same plane as our equator?

The theory is they are all moving away, but yet some are colliding with each other. This would mean that the outward force was not consistant with explosions as physics would tell us.

Gravity interacting with matter.
**2. ALL galaxies are moving away from the center of the universe?**That’s not the case.
3. All Galaxies are moving at the same speed?
That’s not the case.
4 there isn’t just one big galaxy?
Matter is spread out too much.
**5 Why do we not see galaxyies when we train our telescopes northward or southward, but the majority are on the same plane as our equator? ** User error.

Returning to the magnet example. If you shot a bucket of magnets into the air, some could clump up even though as a group, they could expand overall. Likewise some of the galaxies clump up even though they’re not currently powerful enough to overcome the effects of expanding space time on a cosmic scale.

Thanks for your questions, but I’m done answering them. I don’t want to derail this thread any further.

How is the thread being derailed. The questions are pertanent to the subject posted. A theory concerning the expansion of the universe and what forces there are that are acting upon it.

Apparently you do not understand where I’m coming from on this. If you have an explosion the debrie flies out away for it’s center. The initial particles all have the same velocity and are completely seperate from one another. The effects is space, or a vacuum, would be amplified for there is nothing that, at that instance, would hinder the particles from zooming off into eternal space by themselves. Yet, the proposition is is that some how some of this matter attracted other matter to form galaxies. And, pardon me, but the article presented stated that all the galaxies WERE traveling at the same speed, or did I misread. And science has shown that there are few if any stars, planets or galaxies in the regions I mention, no user error here my friend.
[/quote]

I think the bucket of magnets is a good example. I would also suggest that the initial velocity of all particles need not be identical, although overall most will probably be similar. Some of the magnets may clump, others may be close enough to attract each other, but the speed and mass of one may prevent it from actually coming in contact with another - instead, it may change course. Read up on how NASA planetary probes slingshot around planets to change direction and speed, and the same general principles that apply to gravity there would apply to magnetism in the bucket o’magnets example.

If the objects aren’t actually moving apart, but “space is stretching” then we would measure the same distance between those objects at consecutive points in time.

What’s the actual difference between “space stretching” and objects moving apart in space? Are you saying that objects remain at the same location, and yet are further apart from each other?

Sabbath Keeper, others have already answered your questions; all I’m going to do is to say what they said another way. Gravity works on the scale of things up to individual galaxies and closely bound galaxies (like the Milky Way and the Andromeda Galaxy) to keep them bound together. Expanding space works on structures larger that those to move them apart.

And here’s a kicker that hasn’t been mentioned yet. Back in the mid-90s astronomers discovered that not only is the universe expanding, but the rate of expansion is accelerating, not slowing down (driven by an unknown force that they have named Dark Energy).

DaveBj

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.