"Unless you love God most, you will go to Hell"

A story I heard recently. An 11 year old girl is dying and the priest is called to give last rites. He says to the girl “you must love God most in order to go to Heaven and avoid Hell”.
The girl became frightened because she said “But I love my parents the most.”

This is a statement in search of a point.

Priests need to be careful how they communicate. They have a huge responsibility with people taking them literally.

It’s a good thing we worship a big God who understands and loves little 11 year-old girls, who has endless, abundant Mercy, and who said “Let the children come to Me, and do not forbid them.”

I think He is the best Judge of that little girl’s heart, and we can entrust her to to Him. He made her and he knows her.

If this story is even true. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I doubt we’re hearing the whole story and what else the priest told her, or if he comforted her.

But for all of our children…God is big enough to take care of them all…even with imperfect parents and imperfect priests.

from the book “The Wheel of Life”
by Elizabeth Kubler Ross

I used to be a big fan of Kübler-Ross. She is the one who first posited the five stages of grief, and did much good work with the terminally ill. Her reputation was ruined, however, when she got involved with a New Age healing institute that proved to be fraudulent. Just before she died, frail and bitter, she gave an interview in which she recanted her life’s work, denied God’s existence and waxed pessimistic and negative about life in general. A tragic end for a brilliant and compassionate woman.

someone who has already passed the age of reason is no longer a child in the moral sense of the term. So this girl is no longer a child. We must say the TRUTH !! to go to Heaven one must love God more than anything! someone can not? Well, he asks God to give him grace for this purpose, and not that he tries to want to go to Heaven without wanting to do the will of God.

Temporary distress is meaningless if this statement helps her attain salvation. She is indeed past the age of reason. We should trust our priests: they know what they’re doing.

yes, but they are fallible, they make also many mistakes.

2 Maccabees 7:20 The mother was especially admirable and worthy of honorable memory. Although she saw her seven sons perish within a single day, she bore it with good courage because of her hope in the Lord. 21 She encouraged each of them in the language of their ancestors. Filled with a noble spirit, she reinforced her woman’s reasoning with a man’s courage, and said to them, 22 “I do not know how you came into being in my womb. It was not I who gave you life and breath, nor I who set in order the elements within each of you. 23 Therefore the Creator of the world, who shaped the beginning of humankind and devised the origin of all things, will in his mercy give life and breath back to you again, since you now forget yourselves for the sake of his laws.”

God loves her parents too, and approves of her loving her parents.
I do not think God is going to condemn a dying child for saying how much she loves her mother and father.
Also I agree with Showers:

Anyone who loves his father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me (Matthew 10:37)

gee you are well read. thanks for the heads up. My wife told me this story and is reading the book I cited.

@goodcatholic , this reminds me of a hymn we sang at the end of Mass last Sunday “O Mother blest! whom God bestows” .

In the chorus we sing “Of all mothers sweetest, best, None with thee compare.”

I thought quietly to myself , " No . My mum was the best ."

Of course, but it sounds like this remark was part of a larger conversation on how one should prepare for death. It’s eminently appropriate, anyway.

However, when we are asked to love God more than our loved ones, this is not the intensity of passions, but the willingness to be willing to give up so much of the natural love we have for our parents, if this love becomes an obstacle in our relationship with God. We must then in this case, love our parents with a supernatural love.
So we may have a more intense passion for our parents than our sensitive passion for God, without breaking the commandment that asks us to love God more than our parents.
I am not sure that this priest explained all this subtlety to this girl.

Then again, we must remember that an eleven year old may not be entirely partial to a more complex theological argument. Rather, a simpler reminder might to more good, causing her to spend her last moments concentrating on the divine, trying to become closer to God even in her last moments. We must remember that many (even supposedly Catholic) parents raise their children with little regard for him or his law. And yes, mentioning the last things: and heaven and hell are two of them: is a perfectly valid, not to say necessary, means of preparing the faithful for their particular judgement. Either way, I am sure the priest put it in plenty of context and conveyed it in an appropriate manner: it would be uncharitable to presume otherwise.

In that sense, I completely agree with you. In the last moments of a life one must excite others to turn theirs heart totally towards God.

Indeed. We should thank God every day for priests willing to guide us at such crucial moments of our lives, and bring us safely to the refuge of heaven.

Some do, some don’t. Priests can be wrong. They’re human. Sometimes they’re downright evil.

This mindless “father knows best” hero worship of priests is a cancer on the Church. You can respect and revere the priesthood without robotically deferring to all priests all the time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.