Unobtainable : Grace and Law collide

Being brand new to CA I really hesitated to post but I am troubled by so many of these postings (especially : Is most everyone going to hell) and their reality. I have fought long and hard , enduring the Tribunal, etc. etc.
In order to continue my faith I have to live as brother and sister with my wife of 12 years. I have always felt deeply I was being drawn into the one true Church. So now I have arrived (was confirmed this year… I am 60 years old and staring at a terminal disease)
I have always maintained that If I believe this is the true Church then I must obey all dogma, doctrine and law and accept all teachings regardless of my “feelings”. One must believe without question.
I think in a duty oriented military manner so much so that that has helped me immensely.in my total obedience to the Church.
BUT
Many of these postings are very sobering to me, and speaking for myself I see that I fall short in every area which equals sin …venial and mortal. Simple self examination would show anyone just how inadequate and full of self we are in every area of our being. There is no one who can/should feel at ease or comfortable at any time. Has anyone here even touched the expectations and commands of Christ, feed anyone today? How much given? Motives? Lusting in heart, on and on.
Now I understand what Catholic guilt is, sadly this forum triggered this epiphany. All fall short. You would have to live in a confessional for even the most remote hope of Heaven as defined by the Church Fathers.
Am I crazy or does anyone else see this? Truth is who is really serving God in the spirit of Christ?
I have no doubts about our Saviour, the Holy Spirit, Almighty God or Our Lady…But now I have horrible doubts and shame that I cannot be what he expects, and that is the reason I live.
Dan matacan@bellsouth.net

Fear not my friend. You are correct that none of us are worthy but we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus… Salvation is a process of perseverance through faith, hope and love. Working out our salvation in fear and trembling is a lifelong process. Go to confession and Mass often. Endure to the very end you will be saved.

(1 Peter: 3-9) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ; and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.

Peace,

Ryan :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.