Unsalvable mindset

I’ve been thinking about myself and came to the conclusion that I cling to the desire of God to exist even when I almost certainly don’t believe him to exist. Despite the fact that God is little more than a neglectful father who abandoned his creation, I want him to exist if only because there is a force in the universe that can combat the immorality and blasphemy done in the name of tolerance. Outside of personal relations I feel hatred for humanity and to that extent God as well for being silent all my life; even when I showed him worship.

I have no hope for humanity, quite honestly I hope something comes to quickly wipe us out; an asteroid perhaps-nothing that would take too long or indulge in too much suffering.

Quite honestly I feel we don’t deserve to have existed as a species; holding the burden of thought when there is no God to comfort you makes me wish I personally didn’t exist. There is nothing to cling too and I do not have the ego of an atheist to say I can live out this life despite being a soulless nothing among other nothings.

I know where you are coming from. I personally am enraged by the state of humanity these days and it sometimes seems unfathomable that God doesn’t just nuke us. But you have to understand that He tends not to interfere with our own stupidity unless we want Him to do it. Otherwise His presence would be so overbearing that none of us could survive, as He would just come across as a murderous dictator. But He’s not like that, He holds out because He respects us and wants us to make the choices we make for or against Him for ourselves. He is constantly there, waiting for us to turn around and get off the path we walk so that He can help us out from within and enlist us to help those without. Look at it this way: He loves us to the point that He lets us help Him save the world. He actively involves us in what He could otherwise do Himself because He is wise enough to know that it is the best way, and the best thing for us. Otherwise humanity would never truly be holy - we’d only be subjects, not beloved children and we’d never really build a healthy relationship with Him. It would become a one-way street.

Also, I would like to advise you to embrace that anger a little - in a controlled way I mean - so that, as long as you are angry about the right things you can be spurred on to try to stop them in your own way. Get mad, and do something about it! :smiley:

Connect to Him by grace and become one of His noodley appendages of change! RAMEN! XDDDD

You say you dont believe He exists and He abandoned us.Remember that we abandoned Him.Scriptures tell us we sinned against God.He has never abandoned us.Everytime we don’t turn to Him in prayer we are abandoning Him.He’s here all the time.We’re ignoring Him.

You say you dont believe He exists and He abandoned us.Remember that we abandoned Him.Scriptures tell us we sinned against God.He has never abandoned us.Everytime we don’t turn to Him in prayer we are abandoning Him.He’s here all the time.We’re ignoring Him.

God can afford to take the high road and not abandon us; for one he has undeniable proof that we exist unlike us left in the dark whether he exists at all. That and God is all powerful; what could we ever possibly do to harm him? Even if not a single person on Earth believed in God he would technically still exist.

+JMJ+

Unsalvable mindset? Baah, if that was true then Jesus Himself should have been unsalvable.

THAT A GOOD MAN may have his back to the wall is no more than we knew already; but that God could have his back to the wall is a boast for all insurgents for ever. Christianity is the only religion on earth that has felt that omnipotence made God incomplete. Christianity alone has felt that God, to be wholly God, must have been a rebel as well as a king. Alone of all creeds, Christianity has added courage to the virtues of the Creator, For the only courage worth calling courage must necessarily mean that the soul passes a breaking point — and does not break.

In this indeed I approach a matter more dark and awful than it is easy to discuss; and I apologize in advance if any of my phrases fall wrong or seem irreverent touching a matter which the greatest saints and thinkers have justly feared to approach. But in that terrific tale of the Passion there is a distinct emotional suggestion that the author of all things (in some unthinkable way) went not only through agony, but through doubt. It is written, “Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.” No; but the Lord thy God may tempt himself; and it seems as if this was what happened in Gethsemane.

In a garden Satan tempted man: and in a garden God tempted God. He passed in some superhuman manner through our human horror of pessimism. When the world shook and the sun was wiped out of heaven, it was not at the crucifixion, but at the cry from the cross: the cry which confessed that God was forsaken of God.

And now let the revolutionists of this age choose a creed from all the creeds and a god from all the gods of the world, carefully weighing all the gods of inevitable recurrence and of unalterable power. They will not find another god who has himself been in revolt. Nay (the matter grows too difficult for human speech), but let the atheists themselves choose a god. They will find only one divinity who ever uttered their isolation; only one religion in which God seemed for an instant to be an atheist.

— G.K. Chesterton

You say “God can afford to take the high road and not abandon us.” Nay, He abandoned the high road and took the lowest road of all: He abandoned Himself to doubt, He abandoned Himself from Himself, made Him doubt even His own Existence, so that He shall be with us in all our doubts and fears, even in our doubts of God’s Existence or God’s Justice or God’s Mercy.

God love you.

Unsalvable mindset? Baah, if that was true then Jesus Himself should have been unsalvable.

But doubt isn’t the only problem. It’s the fact that even if suddenly I felt religious again, how could I possibly figure out if it was because God supports morals I believe in or if it was actual faith in his existence and love?

+JMJ+

Have you heard these parables?

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it.”

Matthew 13:44-46

If you have, you might have heard that it is us who are the men who found the treasure in the field and the pearl of great price.

I am not saying those who interpreted these parables as such are wrong. However, I am convinced that it is also true (perhaps even more true) that it is God who is the Man Who found the treasure in the field, Who found the pearl of great price, and it is us who are the treasure and the pearl .

For who can deny that Christianity has always taught us that we came from the earth, and that of all creation we are the most perfect?

And God said, “In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; you are dust, and to dust you shall return.”

Genesis 3:19

And who can deny that we are small before God, and our lot is suffering, like the lot of the pearl is the suffering of the oyster?

And yet…God gave up, SOLD everything to get us. He sold His Power, He sold His Omnipotence, He sold His Divinity, He sold His Majesty, He sold His Life, to be the Man of Sorrows, so that we can be with Him forever.

We may not deserve to have existed as a species, as a pearl should not have deserved to exist in an oyster, as treasure should have not deserved to be buried in the earth, but God still bought us with everything He had.

God love you.

+JMJ+

And there is your problem: “felt.” Do not feel. KNOW.

KNOW you are the pearl of great price.

KNOW you are the treasure in the field.

KNOW you were dearly bought with the Most Precious Body, Blood, Soul, And Divinity of God, who gave EVERYTHING to get you.

KNOW it, CLING to it, and LIVE it. And then you might feel it.

God love you.

Your questioning if God exists.Don;t you believe God exists?

Your questioning if God exists.Don;t you believe God exists?

It’s difficult, I want God to exist otherwise my base morality has no grounds. Without God I’d just be that strange hairless ape that doesn’t fornicate and tolerate sinful activities like the rest of society.

But the fact is nothing in this world gives me even the slightest comfort that God exists. Even the events of the bible I feel are only worth a grain of salt…

Thats a very good point.If you have good morals you would influenced by someone who had those good morals or God is working through your conscience letting you know what is right.Anytime a person exhibits good morals it is God working in him(her) whether they realize it or not.A person who does a kind act for another expecting nothing in return is God’s goodness being expressed.God never leaves anyone completely.Even Hitler(believe it or not)had God still in Him.Very little perhaps but He was still there waiting to be acknowledged.those good morals of yours is God expressing Himself in and through you.So your basis is God.Nothing you just thought up on your own.that comfort knowing God exists come through prayer and meditation.Take to God(Jesus) or the HS.Say the rosary as often as you can.Once a day or Once a week if that’s all the time you feel you have.Go somewhere quiet(like a bedroom or quiet church)where you can be just with Jesus and Mary.Tell them anything you like to say.Tell them what you say in your post.Ask Jesus to let you knnow He real.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.