Unsponsored

Does anyone know of American seminaries that accept unsponsored seminarians for pre-theology?

[quote="Cruikshank_s, post:1, topic:231619"]
Does anyone know of American seminaries that accept unsponsored seminarians for pre-theology?

[/quote]

hmm interesting question....are you unsure of what Diocese/Religious Order you want to be in? God Bless!

I think it depends on the seminary. Each diocese and religious order runs their seminaries in a slightly different way. I think my diocese (Boston) is willing to take such people for either college or major seminary.

Yes, I was a religious brother for almost two years. Long story short my health forced me to leave. I've never been happy with the state of my diocese, and would really like to move. In the meantime though, I love the Church, and I can think of nothing other than being a priest, I just don't know where, I really want to be back in the seminary. I think it would be best for me to be in the seminary and discern in that environment rather than at home with distractions up the wazoo.

So if you know of a seminary that accepts unsponsored seminarians, please just let me know, I'm doing my research on it.

[quote="Cruikshank_s, post:4, topic:231619"]
Yes, I was a religious brother for almost two years. Long story short my health forced me to leave. I've never been happy with the state of my diocese, and would really like to move. In the meantime though, I love the Church, and I can think of nothing other than being a priest, I just don't know where, I really want to be back in the seminary. I think it would be best for me to be in the seminary and discern in that environment rather than at home with distractions up the wazoo.

So if you know of a seminary that accepts unsponsored seminarians, please just let me know, I'm doing my research on it.

[/quote]

Well I know that my diocese is willing to cover the costs of a seminarian if he really does have financial trouble. I imagine this isn't that uncommon a policy though.

Holy Apostles College and Seminary in Cromwell, CT.

I believe St. Meinrad Seminary (Indiana) accepts such students. They call them "unaffiliated," I think.

Not sure how far along you are, but St. Meinrad only has a School of Theology now, they closed the College Seminary a number of years ago.

God bless,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.