Unsure if i committed mortal sin

i would just like to double check with you guys about whethero r not i committed a mortal sin,

basically what happened was i expierenced a moment of hatred within my heart, was saddneed by it and turned back to feeling love in it.. then shortly thereafter i expierenced a moment of passion for the opposite sex .. both thingsi did not will myself but came about in the circumstance (i was taking a break from prayer and playing a video game)...

i will do anything and eveyrthing that is right and if that means going to confession i will do so, but at the same time i would like to be more informed on whether or not im ok or not, whatever is right is what i will do

thanks

Can't see that being a sin myself.

Check 1857 of the Catechism .

In your case I cannot see how the conditions necessary to make a sin mortal have been met . vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c1a8.htm

It is not easy to sin mortally .

The sin has to be 100% grave matter , committed with100% knowledge and committed with 100% consent .

If just 1% of any of these is absent it ceases to be mortal .

ok thank you for addressing me to that section brother…

im saddened because of how the sins came about i did not want them to but they did and i cannot deny that for that would be lying… i think i will talk to my confessor later on today

thanks!

Christ had died to conquer our sin, and risen from the dead. He lives despite our doubts. Alleluia.

Rather than “percents”

This:

Compendium issued by Pope Benedict XVI

1. When does one commit a mortal sin?

1855-1861

One commits a mortal sin when there are simultaneously present: grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent. This sin destroys charity in us, deprives us of sanctifying grace, and, if unrepented, leads us to the eternal death of hell. It can be forgiven in the ordinary way by means of the sacraments of Baptism and of Penance or Reconciliation.

1. When does one commit a venial sin?

1862-1864

One commits a venial sin, which is essentially different from a mortal sin, when the matter involved is less serious or, even if it is grave, when full knowledge or complete consent are absent. Venial sin does not break the covenant with God but it weakens charity and manifests a disordered affection for created goods. It impedes the progress of a soul in the exercise of the virtues and in the practice of moral good. It merits temporal punishment which purifies.

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

(in addition to the section in the CCC you noted)

[quote="pwlj_christ87, post:1, topic:326612"]
i would just like to double check with you guys about whethero r not i committed a mortal sin,

basically what happened was i expierenced a moment of hatred within my heart, was saddneed by it and turned back to feeling love in it.. then shortly thereafter i expierenced a moment of passion for the opposite sex .. both thingsi did not will myself but came about in the circumstance (i was taking a break from prayer and playing a video game)...

i will do anything and eveyrthing that is right and if that means going to confession i will do so, but at the same time i would like to be more informed on whether or not im ok or not, whatever is right is what i will do

thanks

[/quote]

Doesn't sound like it to me, as long as you didn't focus on those feelings (relish in them), will them to come about, or deliberately put yourself in a situation where such feelings were likely to come about, I can't see how it would even be venial. But if in doubt you can always go to confession, it can't hurt :thumbsup:

I would agree that it becomes a sin the moment you welcome the thoughts and don't try to push them away. It would be something worthy of confessing to get a priests view on it and possibly some advice on how to manage your thoughts better.

You said you were playing a video game. Was it a game with violence or perhaps suggestive images that could have contributed to your thoughts? Sometimes we need to monitor what we see and hear.

However, since you did not deliberately will these thoughts and did not dwell on them it should not be a mortal sin. Random thoughts come and go all the time, and we can’t always control their coming, but we can control dwelling on them. Be at peace about this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.