Unsure Whether I Was in a State of Mortal Sin When I Received the Eucharist

I’m a tad confused about my state of my soul when I received the Eucharist yesterday.

The day before yesterday me and my mother disagreed about something, but I was determined not to argue. All we did was disagree about whether the pro-police flag was racist or not. We did not yell at each other. Just a simple disagreement, and I said I didn’t want to start arguing. I am almost 99% certain that I did not sin here. Why would it be a sin to disagree with your mother? :confused:

However, this is where I am confused. At Mass there were some females dressed kind of immodestly. I kept trying to look away, and telling myself that I did not want to lust. I also said some prayers. At no time did I say yes to lusting. However, my peripheral vision kept trying to look at them, while I kept trying to look away. The peripheral vision issue was on and off throughout the Mass. I had figured I hadn’t sinned here because I never wanted to look at them or lust.

After these two occurrences I figured I was good to go, and I went up to receive the Eucharist. What do you guys think? Was I in a state of mortal sin when I received the Eucharist? I’m a bit confused. :o

Mortal sin is sin that is 1) gravely wrong 2) freely chosen 3) done with the knowledge that it offends God.

Disagreeing with your mother fits none of the above criteria. Being tempted at Church isn’t sinful either, especially since you were working to avoid looking at them and control your thoughts. You cannot mortally sin by accident.

Thanks for the reply! I figured I was probably good to go, but I just wanted to see what other people thought. :slight_smile:

:frowning:

It cannot be good for you to be constantly doing this and worrying about mortal sin where venial sin might not even be involved.

I know you are a young convert, I am not sure how much instruction you received in Catholic morality and the nature of sin.

I had suggested the examination of conscience. I’m not sure if it helped you at all.

I will suggest that you make an appointment to speak to a priest, tell him you suffer from either scrupolosity or an inability to examine your conscience . Ask for guidance and for resources .

Just a rule of thumb is that you can’t commit a sin unknowingly. And temptations are not sins.

I know this is off-topic, but when speaking about humans, “female” should be used only as an adjective, not a noun. Using “women” here would be more respectful.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Thank you.

Another thing to remember that lust is “disordered desire for or inordinate enjoyment of sexual pleasure.”–CCC 2351.

Humans are sexual beings. Even when persons of the opposite sex are dressed modestly, one can still feel sexual attraction arise. It is only normal. Immodest dress may make it easier to think a certain way, but your brain is designed to work off the smallest cues, even ones you don’t see, to make the opposite sex attractive. It is supposed to work that way.

“Lust” is when someone indulges in sexual desires that they should not, in a manner that is inappropriate and/or in an undue and unjustifiable manner (which is what “inordinate” means).

To feel sexual attraction, to have sexual thoughts, even to find them pleasing is normal. It’s just like eating: food can be attractive, smell wonderful, even give us thoughts of indulging in it. It’s suppose to. But those thoughts are not gluttony any more than similar responses regarding your sexuality are lust. You’re a sexual being. What you are describing is normal.

How we personally feel about sexuality may have differences depending on upbringing and culture, but that is where chastity comes in. Know your Catholic teaching, how it applies to you in your particular circumstances, and take into account the proper and respectable mores of your family, ethnic background and/or culture. One must avoid lust while at the same time not disrespecting the gift of sexuality we have been given by God by being unduly shameful and guilt-ridden because of it.

You should ask your confessor about going to Communion if unsure. Since you’re scrupulous, he’ll probably say yes–that you should go to Communion unless you are sure that you’re in mortal sin–that you’re sure that you committed. The only reason I’m not saying certainly is because I’m not your confessor.

1. objectively grave matter 2. knowing it’s wrong 3. Doing it anyway.

If something bad enters your mind, recite a little “litany”, like:
“Precious Blood wash over me, Jesus, Mary, Joseph, St. Maria Gorretti, Guardian Angel, protect me”. Thinking about the Passion for a couple seconds greatly helps when tempted.

But don’t become over worried to the point that a temptation and sin cannot be distinguished.

Since the Blessed Sacrament is an unfathomable gift, Satan will try very well to make souls unworthy to approach, or if they aren’t willing to commit serious sin, then sometimes to make their consciences scrupulous to stop them from approaching the Sacrament, or if they do, with constant guilt.

Melodeonist, only mortal sins that are certain need to be brought to Confession. Only mortal sins that are certain mean that we should refrain from receiving Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.

A certain mortal sin is an act which we are positive met all three criteria for mortal sin: it was objectively grave, we had full knowledge, and we gave full consent.

Actions that we commit which we are not certain are mortally sinful—doubtful mortal sins—do not have to be brought to Confession, although most people encourage doing so for the sake of spiritual development.

In fact, and more specifically, doubtful mortal sins should:

always be confessed by lax consciences
never be confessed by the scrupulous
advisably confessed by normal consciences, depending on need.

In terms of sins against the ninth commandment: a lot of people have trouble discerning whether or not they gave full consent to certain temptations or fleeting thoughts.

This is a classic example of a doubtful mortal sin.

We may go to Confession if we so choose, but we can also simply make an act of perfect contrition.

Here is St. Padre Pio on this topic:

Catholic doctrine teaches us that the sins that have to be confessed are only mortal sins that are certain. We can expose our doubts, whatever they may be, should we so wish, otherwise we are dispensed. As for venial sins, it is certain they are forgiven, even if there were thousands of them, through an act of love, or contrition, or a devout sign of the cross, etc. As if all the trifles you mentioned were necessary for an integral confession.

You might also consider reading through this, since this is the source for my claims above: cdn.theologicalstudies.net/17/17.2/17.2.5.pdf.

THIS was the state of your conscience when you committed the act.

OP, do you have a spiritual adviser? If not, I strongly encourage it. That will of so much more help to you than posted various scenarios about whether or not something was a mortal sin. It will really help you with your confusion and worry, as scrupulosity cannot be properly dealt with over the internet. In fact, I think it just kind of feeds into it. :console:

Melodeonist - At this point, I would actually advise you to think that you basically are hardly capable of sin. Try to swing to the other extreme… you will land in the middle, where you ought to be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.