Unwed birth rate reaches all-time high in U.S

I agree that there is both good news and bad news here, but my views differ a bit from the article. The good news is that these women gave birth instead of aborting their children. The bad news is that they are unmarried and many of them are teenagers. Overall, this is a very negative trend, since we know that ideally, both a father and mother are essential in nurturing and raising a child. It is a very sad commentary on our culture today, but it has become acceptable. Oh, to return to the days of the traditional family and traditional values!

"Unwed birth rate reaches all-time high in U.S.
Report: Record number of babies born in 2007; 40 percent to single moms

ATLANTA - More babies were born in the United States in 2007 than any year in the nation’s history, topping the peak during the baby boom 50 years earlier, federal researchers reported Wednesday.

There is both good and bad news from the more than 4.3 million births:

The U.S. population is more than replacing itself, a healthy trend.
However, the teen birth rate was up for the second year in a row."…

Source and full article: msnbc.msn.com/id/29754561

How do we return to traditional values in America? :(:(:frowning:

First things first - apparently (anti-) abortion education and further support of unwed mothers is doing some good! We need to keep that up and then some so abortion goes “away”. The marriage issue is a separate (and very sad) one. Well, back to prayer and Adoration.

Very good question. I wish I knew the answer. We can do our best to teach and guide our children along the right paths, but with so many pressures from our very warped society, I know it negatively influences them and many lose their way. Again, I wish I knew…

Pray.

i agree. it is good and bad news. we definitely need to give moral and emotional support to these single mothers. it is not an easy task. they did decide to keep their babies and not have an abortion and for reasons unknown, have decided to remain single. it shouldn’t mean their life is over. they should be encouraged to continue with their education and be self reliant and not be a burden on the government.

I wonder if it is because morality has been redefined by liberalism. Maybe it used to be that living a holy life was called morality, now it is conforming to liberal ideas - poverty, social justice, race, developing countries, environment. :o:confused::shrug:

It’s a sign of the disintegration of the family as a basis for social organization. How high of an unwed birth rate does it take before society comes unglued? 40%, 50%, 60%, 100%?. We are getting there. No, I’m afraid we are already there. The trend is probably irreversible and evidence of inevitable social dissolution. In the future someone will document the decline and fall of western civilization.

What are going to be the consequences? There is overwhelming research showing children raised in single parent families are at risk. They are hugely more likely to be abused, end up in jail, take drugs, abuse alcohol, become promiscuous, and drop out of school early. :frowning: How will the US survive when not only do we have such an enormous amount of illegitimate children, we also have a vast number of single parent homes due to divorce.

What do you think the consequences will be?

God bless, Annem

Well, first of all, the kids are going to suffer the effects big time. Because if they were born to couples who are cohabitating, there is a higher incidence of abuse etc.
familyministries-chgo.org/www.inthespiritofcana.org/appendix_O.htm
Out of Wedlock Births and Single-Parent Families
• Unmarried mothers and children from unmarried homes are likely to be in poverty or near the poverty level for an extended period of time.36
• Women raising children out of wedlock are less likely to find a marriageable mate than single, childless women.37
• Children of single parents are more likely to engage in high-risk relationships and high-risk behaviors at an earlier age, than children raised by a married mother and father.38
Cohabitating Couples and Unmarried Families
• Greater rates of unhappiness, dissatisfaction, and dysfunctional relationship behavior (domestic abuse, unfaithfulness, high amounts of conflict) exist in cohabiting relationships.39
• Couples living together before marriage have a greater rate of divorce than those who did not live together.40
• Over one-third of all cohabiting relationships involve kids. These children are at greater risk to be physically and/or sexually abused, and they are more likely to repeat the high risk relationship behaviors of their parent(s).41
Research has shown that both divorce and unmarried childbearing decrease the economic well being of both children and mothers. Only 9% of children under six in two-parent households are poor, while 47% of those living in single-mother households live in poverty.42 More specifically, 45% of children raised by divorced mothers and 69% raised by never-married mothers live in or near poverty.43 One analysis found that nearly 80% of child poverty occurs in broken or never-formed families, and it concludes that more marriages could reduce poverty by as much as 25%.44
When compared to children in two-parent households, evidence reveals that children in one-parent households are affected in additional negative ways.
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]Children in two-parent households are less than half as likely to have emotional or behavioral problems.45
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]Children in two-parent households are a third as likely to use illegal drugs, alcohol or tobacco.46
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]Children in two-parent households are 44% less likely to be physically abused or neglected.47
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]Boys in two-parent households are only half as likely to commit a crime leading to incarceration by their thirties.48
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]Fifteen year-old girls in two-parent homes are one-third less likely to be sexually active.49
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]Children in two-parent households have higher grades, higher college aspirations, better school attendance and lower school drop-out rates.50
·[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]Children in two-parent households are less likely to cohabit prior to marriage,51become a single parent,52 or teen parent,53 and to become separated54 or divorced.55
A recent literature review documents the general consensus among researchers that children in single-family households are at greater risk for poor health, behavioral, and educational outcomes. They are also more likely than children in two-parent families to live in poverty, drop out of high school, abuse drugs or alcohol, and exhibit delinquent behavior. Conversely, children who grow up with married, biological parents are more likely to complete high school, have better health, and become economically self-sufficient as adults.56

Our elites have decided long ago that marriage could be kept separate from family life. The feminist agenda of equating marriage with gender slavery entails that marriage fail. Our legal institutions have been restructuring laws since the 1970’s to ensure that this happen.

Be careful what you wish for because it might come true. Women are free to raise the next generation on their own now.

How sad…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.