Upcoming Confirmation

Hello all!
This coming May, I will finally be confirmed in my Catholic faith! (Praise God!)
I am having difficulty coming up with two things however: my patron saint and my sponsor!

I guess to let you all know a little, I would like to chose a powerful patron who will be helpful in the areas of chastity and purity. I do experience homosexual tendencies, and as such, have resolved, with the grace of God, to live a chaste life. I know that this is something I will definitely need help with though!!! I was thinking either St. Joseph, or our Blessed Mother. Is there any masculine form of "Mary" that I can use?

And in the area of my sponsor, I am at a complete loss for who to ask. Any advice in this area would be much help!!

[quote="FindingMyWay13, post:1, topic:320541"]
Hello all!
This coming May, I will finally be confirmed in my Catholic faith! (Praise God!)
I am having difficulty coming up with two things however: my patron saint and my sponsor!

And in the area of my sponsor, I am at a complete loss for who to ask. Any advice in this area would be much help!!

[/quote]

You list yourself as Catholic, is that from birth or are you being received into full communion? If you were baptized Catholic then one of your godparents is the preferred choice for Confirmation sponsors since they connect your Confirmation to your Baptism.

I do not have any advise for you, but just wanted to say : Welcome Home!:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Welcome home!

Is there any masculine form of "Mary" that I can use?

[/quote]

Plenty of men just use Mary or Maria-- it need not be changed-- though you're welcome to go with a name like Mario or Marius (which is also a saint's name, so it's kind of like choosing "John" to get lots of patrons ;) ). You could have both Joseph and Mary (I have two confirmation saints, myself), or you can combine the names, as was done in St. Josemaría's name.

Hello all!

I guess to let you all know a little, I would like to chose a powerful patron who will be helpful in the areas of chastity and purity. I do experience homosexual tendencies, and as such, have resolved, with the grace of God, to live a chaste life. I know that this is something I will definitely need help with though!!! I was thinking either St. Joseph, or our Blessed Mother. Is there any masculine form of "Mary" that I can use?

[/quote]

Mary would be fine, or St. Joseph, or a combination of Joseph and Mary, as aspirant suggested. Or if you'd prefer another idea entirely, Thomas Aquinas is a patron saint of chastity, also.

If your godparent is unavailable, then the next suggestion would be for someone who meets the requirements: someone who is not your parent, is at least 16 years old, and is a confirmed Catholic who is practicing his/her faith. You want someone who you think will be there for you, and be a good example in the Catholic faith. If you cannot think of anyone you know that could do it, then ask your priest or the Confirmation instructor/DRE for help in finding someone to fill this important role.

And congratulations! :thumbsup:

[quote="Phemie, post:2, topic:320541"]
You list yourself as Catholic, is that from birth or are you being received into full communion? If you were baptized Catholic then one of your godparents is the preferred choice for Confirmation sponsors since they connect your Confirmation to your Baptism.

[/quote]

My only problem is that I hardly ever see either of them. One does not live around us, and the other just never comes around.

Welcome home!

Just ask your priest if he can set you up with a sponsor. You don't really need to be best buddies with the person they are there to help you with your journey

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.