Upcoming Film Follows a Transsexual's Ordination Journey

The journey of a transsexual woman seeking ordination in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) has been documented on film, which is set to release next year.

“Thy Will Be Done: A Transsexual Woman’s Journey Through Family and Faith” follows Sara Herwig, who transitioned from male to female and is seeking to “fulfill God’s call.”

In conveying Herwig’s personal story, the documentary reveals the complex nature of the issue as faith groups, mainly the PC(USA), struggle to interpret their established policies and Scripture with regard to transsexualism.

Herwig began to pursue her call to ministry in 2001, seven years after switching from “Steve” to “Sara” – complete with a surgical procedure.

Before the transition, however, Herwig divorced his then wife Billie Preston with whom he had a daughter.

Read more: christianpost.com/article/20091004/upcoming-film-follows-a-transsexual-s-ordination-journey/index.html

It’s a good thing we have bishops to teach the faithful about transexuality in light of the social doctrine of the Church :slight_smile:

A better thread title would be a fake woman joins a fake church

I have never heard of such a sickening “journey.” I’m praying for this poor person and for the person who ordained “her,” as well as for the people who follow that example! I tell you, the world is an upside down cirus and Satan is the ringmaster!

Hai Mary, full of grace the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, mother of God, pray us sinners now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

O my Jesus forgive us our sins and save us from the fires of hell.
Lead all souls to heaven, especially those in most need of thy mrecy.

Apparently they are having difficulties raising the money to finish the film and release it, and with the help of God’s grace, they’ll never get it!

Quoted for being both funny and true.

It does appear that the financing of the film has a long ways to go:
media.gfem.org/node/10752

But I think it would be a sad thing not to get her story out. Several transsexuals, both male and female, are serving as Protestant clergy in the US. (I am not familiar with other countries, or other religions). Obviously, these individuals feel called by God. If we have any respect for the clergy of non-Catholic religions, I think it is worth listening to their story.

Dear Dale,

It is a sin against God to be a practicing homosexual - no matter what religion one belongs to! (much less a Christian MINISTER!). After all, He destroyed TWO cities in Old Testament times for that one sin alone! That sin must be extremely repulsive to God. Anyone who thinks otherwise is being deceived by the devil. I am not without a heart, however, and will keep these poor, enslaved sinners in my prayers.

Kimberly

Hi Kimberly, :wave:

I can understand why persons who believe that gay/lesbian relationships are forbidden by God might oppose Rev. Herwig’s choices in life. But perhaps you go too far in saying that all religions oppose homosexuality. I admit to not being familiar with other religions or even with the topic of homosexuality within religion, but several large Christian denominations within the US approve of gay marriage (Episcopal, Lutheran, United Church of Christ) which make me think that homosexuality isn’t universally condemned by Christianity (let alone other religions.)

At any rate, I think it is a good thing that Rev. Herwig’s story be known and discussed.

Transexualism is not the same as homosexuality. It is a total different classification. I am surprised that such things are stated still today by educated people.

Those churches are in error with regards to accepting sodomy as being moral. It should be noted though that acts of sodomy are not exclusive to homosexuals. There are plenty of heterosexuals that engage in this as well.

If anything, I think this is an abomination before God, not solely to do with this person’s sexual behavior, but more to the fact that he abandons his wife and daughter to masquerade as a false preacher and the Presbyterian Church accepts this as being perfectly moral? Considering Biblical Law teaches that this is completely unacceptable (yes, I know Mosaic Law allows for divorce, however it is noted that sodomy and adultery are both punishable by death).

The whole reason this has happened is because the clergy in the those churches you mentioned have had their knowledge of what is good, and what is evil, and WHY severely diminished, or to trod down a darker route, no longer care.

Yes, it is true that we should still pray and care for our wayward brothers and sisters, because that could very well be us in their shoes. However, we do not have to accept their sin as moral to prove that we love them as people.

There is “tolerence” and there is PERMISSIVENESS. The tolerence of all GOOD things is required of us by God. But permissiveness is the enablement of evil. We are ONLY free to do good, not evil. I’m sorry, but the devil is deceiving, even protestant denominations, into believing that committing sin is "freedom, " when in fact, it is slavery to the enemy. I am only saying this to set the captives free. Not to be hateful. Just the opposite. I am saying this in in the love of Christ.

“The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it…” Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Sincerely,
Kimberly

Amen, Andrew!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.