UPDATE 1-U.S. nuclear bomb facility shut after security breach

WASHINGTON, Aug 2 (Reuters) - The U.S. government’s only facility for handling, processing and storing weapons-grade uranium has been temporarily shut after anti-nuclear activists, including an 82-year-old nun, breached security fences, government officials said on Thursday.

in.reuters.com/article/2012/08/02/usa-security-nuclear-idINL2E8J2I0Q20120802

I find it quite shocking that a nun was involved in this. Here we are in the United States and persecution against Catholics is already occurring and a nun goes and pulls this stunt! What was she thinking???

I’m guessing this particular nun would just as soon faithful Catholicism in this country would be persecuted. The ones that are associated with leftist organizations are generally leftists themselves and have very little use for the traditional Church.

Yeah that’s probably the case. I wonder if she is one of those convents lead by the LCWR?

Assumptions…because someone demonstrated their views on WMD. I guess some prefer a different kind of America, where no one is allowed to protest or demonstrate and everyone must succumb to one view.

Being a pacifist does not mean someone automatically desires to persecute faithful Catholicism. In fact, there is so little information on the people involved, we know very little about them.

Assuming she was thinking…

How secure was this facility, if an 82 year old person could actually reach the building? What’s your thinking on that?

It amazes me that some don’t see giving someone that has dedicated their life to Christ, and the Church, the benefit of the doubt…

The activists painted slogans **and threw what they said **was human blood on the wall of the facility, one of numerous buildings in the facility known by the code name Y-12 that it was given during World War Two, officials said.

I’m not sure what doubt there is, being caught at the facility that has been broken into and vandalized. I don’t think any of them were listed on the authorized visitors list, right? Looks like they basically admitted to the crimes.

Dedicated her life to the Church as it is, or to what she thought the Church ought to be?

Questions about the actual physical security of the facility are very much to the point. I can’t imagine this happening at the agency where I used to work.

She didn’t break into a secure facility and throw blood on the walls by accident. :rolleyes:

Negative and rude comments toward clergy (deacons, priests and bishops) or toward religious and religious orders are banned.

There are good, faithful, orthodox Catholics who are opposed to weapons of mass destruction. There have been many pacifist saints. The Catholic Church’s official teaching to the world is that “Every act of war directed to the indiscriminate destruction of whole cities or vast areas with their inhabitants is a crime against God and man, which merits firm and unequivocal condemnation.” (CCC ¶ 2314). To argue that, just because she’s engaged in civil disobedience protest against a nuclear weapon facility, she must be a flaming liberal heterodox heretic who can’t stand the Church is to commit slander based on assumption.

It’s inappropriate for a faithful Catholic.

the rest of the pertinent paragraph : A danger of modern warfare is that it provides the opportunity to those who possess modern scientific weapons—especially atomic, biological, or chemical weapons—to commit such crime

You did not find the bolded statement in my post as a statement, but more as a query.

In any case, trespass on a secured federal facility and vandalism don’t really do anything to stem the use of WMDs. Furthermore, those counterproductive acts are crimes, and that’s what’s inappropriate for faithful Catholics.

Aren’t some of you people forgetting that Jesus Christ was a pacifist? Christ would not EVER condone weapons of mass destruction no matter what flawed human reasoning anyone tried to throw at him. What part of you can honestly justify weapons of mass destruction? Isn’t the name we gave it simple enough to understand? That’s as unchristian as it gets. We need to stop thinking of ourselves as “americans” first and Catholics second. Christ first IN EVERYTHING! Attacking this nun for protesting evil :mad: Shame on those of you who pass judgement without knowing the facts. Especially against someone who gave up her entire life for the cloth (something you clearly aren’t doing).

Trespass on a secured federal facility and vandalism don’t really do anything to stem the use of WMDs. Furthermore, those counterproductive acts are crimes, and that’s what’s inappropriate for faithful Catholics.
[/quote]

I’m not saying that I condone whatever happened out there. I’m just saying that engaging in wild, anonymous, internet speculation about the state of a specific person’s spirituality (she’s named in the article) based on one news report on the web (“I’m guessing this particular nun would just as soon faithful Catholicism in this country would be persecuted”; “Yes, that’s probably the case”; "Assuming she was thinking… "; “Dedicated her life to the Church as it is, or to what she thought the Church ought to be?”) is immoral. It approaches the sin of calumny.

[quote=DaveBj;9602768. Furthermore, those counterproductive acts are crimes, and that’s what’s inappropriate for faithful Catholics.
[/QUOTE] then faithful Catholic should not have sat at lunch counters in the jim crow south,or dispersed when bull connor told them to on the selma march,or knuckle under to the hhs mandate, when a cop tells me to stop praying in front of an abortion clinic i should move on,all the Holy English Martyrs should have turned in Edmund Campion for saying Mass.
[/quote]

It would be great if WMDs weren’t needed, or if they had never been invented, but that isn’t the case. There are nations out there, like Iran and North Korea, that only respect strength and the only thing holding them back is the threat of force. WMDs are part of that deterrent.

It’s a long reach from the items you mentioned to the actions that were reported in the OP’s link. And I maintain that actions such as those will have zero effect on the cause that the actors are trying to advance. None. Nil. Nada. Nichego.

(And to pick a rather small nit, Bull Connor had nothing to do with the Selma march; his activities and those opposing the marchers were two totally different incidents.)

This reminds me of the activist nuns who, along with other peace activists, perhaps including the Jesuit priests Dan and Phil Berrigan, used to break into Minuteman missile facilities back in the 1970’s. It always took the military police awhile to get to them, because the facilities were widely separated and in remote locations. They still are.

But in those cases, there was not the slightest chance of them gaining access to the missile itself. I knew from personal experience that they could cut the fence, go in, wander around on the concrete and do whatever they wanted, but the facility was in no danger whatever of being compromised. I often thought that the Air Police should take their time getting there, and just park outside having a beer while waiting for them to get tired of it and come back out.

Judging by the age of the nun, it may be the same one!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.