UPDATE: Homeopathic Meds--BAD!!!

I posted last week regarding homeopathic meds and whether they are OK by the Church. The e-mails I got all said that they should be fine. Well, They are NOT!!! By coincidence (Godincidence?) this weekend I met Moira Noonan, a Catholic who had spent almost 30 years in the occult before her deliverance and conversion. I asked her about homeopathy and she said STAY AWAY. The meds are formulated using divination.

Someone also posted that they used iridology (reading of the eyes). This, too, is an occult practice and should be avoided. Reiki, reflexology, Scientology, centering prayer, guided imagery,etc. she said are all occult. She said if you use any of these, confess it and in confession, say “I renounce the use of Reiki (or whatever you have used).”

She wrote a book called Ransomed From Darkness which I bought and will hopefully read soon, which lists all the occult activities that are harmful to souls. I hope this helps all of you.

God Bless

You might want to email Dr. Colleen Kelly-Mast then because she often times recommends certain homeopathic remedies on her show

Coleen Kelly Mast, who has a master’s degree in health education and an honorary doctorate degree, has five children ranging in age from nine to 26. She is the author of numerous publications, including two textbooks: Love and Life: A Christian Sexual Morality Guide for Teens and Sex Respect: The Option of True Sexual Freedom, and is a speaker at numerous conferences throughout the country. Mast was selected by the Vatican to be one of 30 experts on the family and on human sexuality at a major Church-sponsored conference on that subject.

You can reach her at AveMariaRadio.net. She has read extensively on all this stuff and is probably aware of the position your friend is stating, but she probably weighs that against research too. Certainly there is truth to what your friend states, but I highly doubt it is all bad…has the potential to be, yes, but is, no.

What a bunch of poop, IMHO! Our family for generations has used homropathic & Herbal Medicines. Their is no occult associated with either one…the meds are not formulated using divination.

Now I am sure that there may perhaps be some instances of things that you stated but it is not the norm.

[quote=Karin]What a bunch of poop, IMHO! Our family for generations has used homropathic & Herbal Medicines. Their is no occult associated with either one…the meds are not formulated using divination.

Now I am sure that there may perhaps be some instances of things that you stated but it is not the norm.
[/quote]

I agree its not the norm.

Where do you think remedies came from before prescription or manufactured drugs?

I tried homeopathics and I didn’t find them particularly effective. I had my boys eyes read by an iridologist once who was the father of a friend of mine. It was on a casual basis. It is based on the theory that certain areas of the iris of the eye corelate with organs and parts of the body, similar to foot refexology. I don’t see anything occult in that, or harmful. I’m not sure if it’s true or not. One thing he said about my son’s eyes is that they were very clear blue, but had a pronounced dark ring encircling the iris that indicated that he had skin problems. He did have very sensitive skin subject to rashes. Funny thing is out of my 7 children, the only one to have his same pale, clear eyes with the dark ring around the iris is my youngest daughter. She also has skin problems, having had eczema as a little girl, which has mostly cleared up, but still she has very sensitive skin. He said that the clearness of the iris indicated excellent general health, but the dark ring around it represented the skin and problems with it. Both of these two were extremely robust, with skin problems.

Anyways, with all the real dangers in the world to our moral lives, I don’t find things like this very scary. They are attempts to heal the body by being aware of energies in it put there by our creator. Alot of these things are more accepted in Europe where the AMA doesn’t have such a stranglehold on medicine.

[quote=auppie]I agree its not the norm.

Where do you think remedies came from before prescription or manufactured drugs?
[/quote]

Nature :smiley:

[quote=stmaxfan]I posted last week regarding homeopathic meds and whether they are OK by the Church. The e-mails I got all said that they should be fine. Well, They are NOT!!! By coincidence (Godincidence?) this weekend I met Moira Noonan, a Catholic who had spent almost 30 years in the occult before her deliverance and conversion. I asked her about homeopathy and she said STAY AWAY. The meds are formulated using divination.

Someone also posted that they used iridology (reading of the eyes). This, too, is an occult practice and should be avoided. Reiki, reflexology, Scientology, centering prayer, guided imagery,etc. she said are all occult. She said if you use any of these, confess it and in confession, say “I renounce the use of Reiki (or whatever you have used).”

She wrote a book called Ransomed From Darkness which I bought and will hopefully read soon, which lists all the occult activities that are harmful to souls. I hope this helps all of you.

God Bless
[/quote]

Please let us know if the book has footnoted references to support her stance on homeopathy.

I have emailed www.lhla.org to ask for advice on this. Fr. Ed Silvia and Johnette Benkovic often speak about the dangers of the occult on their radio show.

Well as far as I know, relexology is a form of massage and has nothing to do with the occult. Reiki and all that nonsense should always be avoided though of course.

[quote=auppie]I agree its not the norm.

[/quote]

Nature and still do…Drug’s are most often derived from Nature. That is why natural remedies cannot be patented nor governed by the FDA. Drug companies can paten their Drugs but not the ingredience.

I am certainly not a medical doctor or a scientist, but I vaguely remember from my science courses back in high school (approximately 4000 years ago - or so it seems) that penicillin was grown from mold, which is, if I am not mistaken, a natural by product of a food - like cheese.

I think the OP is probably correct when asking people to exercise caution when dealing with some people who deal in homeopathic remedies and/or use of special types of massage, treatments etc. When I was looking for homeopathic remedies for Roddy to help him in his fight with cancer (and I am not kidding with this next story you guys) I had one person in a health food store suggest to me that my dog had gotten cancer because I had not resolved personal spiritual issues in my own life.

No, I am not kidding.

Now, if I had not been a Catholic - and a faithful daughter of the Holy Mother Church - and had been someone in a great deal of emotional turmoil over the sickness of my dog, and lacking (at that moment) my commen sense, I could have easily fallen for that malarky. Instead, my stiff neck Italian pride snapped into play and my Irish temper whipped into my head - lucky for that lady, I had done my prayer discipline that morning because I think St. Therese clapped her hand over my mouth and then helped me say, “Thank you for sharing.” and then got me out of there.

[quote=spiritblows]I tried homeopathics and I didn’t find them particularly effective. I had my boys eyes read by an iridologist once who was the father of a friend of mine. It was on a casual basis. It is based on the theory that certain areas of the iris of the eye corelate with organs and parts of the body, similar to foot refexology. I don’t see anything occult in that, or harmful. I’m not sure if it’s true or not. One thing he said about my son’s eyes is that they were very clear blue, but had a pronounced dark ring encircling the iris that indicated that he had skin problems. He did have very sensitive skin subject to rashes. Funny thing is out of my 7 children, the only one to have his same pale, clear eyes with the dark ring around the iris is my youngest daughter. She also has skin problems, having had eczema as a little girl, which has mostly cleared up, but still she has very sensitive skin. He said that the clearness of the iris indicated excellent general health, but the dark ring around it represented the skin and problems with it. Both of these two were extremely robust, with skin problems.

Anyways, with all the real dangers in the world to our moral lives, I don’t find things like this very scary. They are attempts to heal the body by being aware of energies in it put there by our creator. Alot of these things are more accepted in Europe where the AMA doesn’t have such a stranglehold on medicine.
[/quote]

My wife is a trained iridologist and it has nothing to do with occult phenomena. The doctor (yes, doctor) who came up with the practice had no ties to the occult. It is a natural and non-invasive practice that isn’t used to treat medical problems but to show tendencies towards developing problems. It is very accurate if done by a trained individual.

Homeopathic medicine is also much more non-invasive than modern drugs pushed by pharmaceutical companies. Just listen to some of the commercials for popular drugs on the market today that are approved by the FDA. Side-effects from popular drugs cause even more problems to occur elsewhere in the body. So, you exchange one set of problems for another. Pretty soon you are taking one drug, then have to take another to counter the effects of the original drug, then it snowballs.

I know elderly people who taken a dozen or more medicines (FDA approved manufactured by drug companies) because of the side effects and interaction in their bodies. That said - homeopathic medicines are indeed a viable alternative to the gross incompetence of some manufactured FDA approved drugs produced by major pharmaceutical companies.

Peace…

[quote=ahimsaman72]My wife is a trained iridologist and it has nothing to do with occult phenomena. The doctor (yes, doctor) who came up with the practice had no ties to the occult. It is a natural and non-invasive practice that isn’t used to treat medical problems but to show tendencies towards developing problems. It is very accurate if done by a trained individual.

Homeopathic medicine is also much more non-invasive than modern drugs pushed by pharmaceutical companies. Just listen to some of the commercials for popular drugs on the market today that are approved by the FDA. Side-effects from popular drugs cause even more problems to occur elsewhere in the body. So, you exchange one set of problems for another. Pretty soon you are taking one drug, then have to take another to counter the effects of the original drug, then it snowballs.

I know elderly people who taken a dozen or more medicines (FDA approved manufactured by drug companies) because of the side effects and interaction in their bodies. That said - homeopathic medicines are indeed a viable alternative to the gross incompetence of some manufactured FDA approved drugs produced by major pharmaceutical companies.

Peace…
[/quote]

I’m with you…I take two types of meds for my RA. 10 weeks ago I started adding 1 tablespoon of non-flavored gelative to juice every morning. I ran it by my rheumatologist first and he told me to try it - the only side affects would be great hair and nails, so why not see what happenned? The pain in my hands has decreased dramatically. The swelling in my knuckles has decreased significantly…and we are not sure if it is because it has helped the meds I take do the work better or because it is directly helping the RA itself, but who cares? It hasn’t helped my other joints as much but HEY it’s only been 10 weeks.

Oh, and my nails and hair are FABULOUS.

Natural medical care is nothing new. Nor is it BAD. Most of it is common sense and medically founded. As long as you stick with the tried and true it can provide relief for many common conditions.

Now when someone or some group says something is a miracle cure and tries to get you to avoid medical advice IMHO it is a big NO NO.

Holy Mother Church does not teach us to “only” use medical Drs and perscriptions. We are to care for our bodies with care and not abuse them. We should use common sense in all that we do.

GOD BLESS

As far as Homeopathic medicines go I remember seeing on a bottle that the medicine was formulated according to “Anthroposophic principles” and that there was some link to Rudolph Steiner. The Anthroposophic movement was I think part of the New Age movement at the turn of the 20th century in Germany and Madame Blavatska et al were involved.

Anyone know more about this?

I also think it is important to sperate Homeopathic from other natural remedies.

Chris ZA

There seems to be a conflation of “natural remedies” and “homeopathic meds” in some of the discussion. That’s not entirely appropriate.

Many potent and helpful medications come from natural sources. As noted, penecillin comes from mold (Penecillium, to be precise), and digitalis comes from the foxglove plant (genus Digitalis, as it happens). Each also is strictly controlled by the FDA in the US, and comparable bodies in other contries, so “natural origin” does not preclude regulation and control.

The whole premise of homeopathy is that the administration of a small amount of a substance that, in large amounts, will produce symptoms similar to those of the disease to be cured will effectively treat the disease. The problem with it is that no claim of effectiveness has ever been verified by scientific investigations, although anecdotes abound.

A professional magician who performed under the name of “The Amazing Randi” also investigated many effectiveness claims for various non-traditional methodologies. In every case, he was able to identify a methodological flaw in every claim put forward. He was an interesting fellow. An excellent performer, he always pointed out that he dealt in illusion, and not in anything normally associated with “magic” outside of the realm on entertainment. He began by debunking mentalists, and moved on to other areas.

Some natural remedies are certainly safe. Peppermint tea is very good at settling minor stomach and digestive complaints, I’ve found. But some of our most toxic poisons are “natural” in origin, and the danger with herbal remedies is that in many cases their mechanisms are not known. Taking them in large quantities over an extended period is, in effect, running an unmonitored, uncontrolled experiment on one’s body. And, at the slightest hint of them somehow beneficially vectoring natural forces, the prudent should turn and run away.

Blessings,

Gerry

Thank you, Gerry. I know I sometimes use the terms “natural” and “homeopathic” interchangeably and that is really not correct. You are right. Most of our medicines today have ‘natural’ foundations. Thanks so much for the education!

Actually, homeopathy is based on the same principles that vaccines are–A small amount of medicine is made from what would make you sick in full quantity…
I think that what Leslie said points out the problem with all forms of medicine other than standard–There are some real nut-cases out there, who have jumped on the bandwagon…
I had an experience with a lady near here, who was (supposedly) massaging my neck; it turned out she was a :eek: wiccan & was :rolleyes: “reading my aura”…The next thing was a suggestion that I take part in a :bigyikes: seance…OK, this was how I found out that reiki is NOT massage, it’s new-age #*!@…
You know, I once had a very:whacky: weird experience with an MD in “standard” medicine, too…He tried to tell my blood count by staring into my eyes & (apparently) hypnotizing me or something.
I think that all of us need to be aware that there are a lot of people out there who are selling something very contrary to faith.Just say, thank you, & walk on away, as Leslie says, is the best way to deal with this–in any field!!

I have had great experience with homeopathic medicine. There’s a book called “The Science of Homeopathy” that really helped me to understand the concept better.

On the flip side, I have also encountered Reiki and other strange practices from which I quickly ran, so you do have to be careful.

I always pray before any appointment that God will guide the person I am seeing and ask for protection against any evil. I know of a very orthodox priest who goes to a naturopath to help with his diabetes.

Lets put it this way…Drug companies managed to ruin a lot of peoples lives, mine included. I am no fan of their free for all mandate. And I have the scars and the disabilties to prove it. That said…I do not advocate giving up on science.

[quote=stmaxfan]I posted last week regarding homeopathic meds and whether they are OK by the Church. The e-mails I got all said that they should be fine. Well, They are NOT!!! By coincidence (Godincidence?) this weekend I met Moira Noonan, a Catholic who had spent almost 30 years in the occult before her deliverance and conversion. I asked her about homeopathy and she said STAY AWAY. The meds are formulated using divination.

God Bless
[/quote]

I do believe someone is pulling your chain.

~ Kathy ~
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.