Update on my decision to convert

Most of you probably don’t know me, but some of you might. About a year ago I began questioning my religion (LDS) and began looking into the Catholic religion. I can’t exactly say why but I did. Anyways, after studying and praying for a while I began to believe that the Catholic church was the right church.

However, my parents kind of intervened and cut me off from a lot of my Catholic sources that I was getting answers from… including this site. So obviosuly I haven’t been here for a while.

Anyways, after that happened I have used this time to study up on the things I can. I have asked questions to my seminary teacher instead of my catholic teacher.

I have to say, I didn’t expect to budge in my decision. But I have. I don’t know what to do anymore. I feel like either way I go I can’t make it to Heaven anyways, so I don’t know why I try but I do. I think I would rather end up in Hell for one simple reason, that I don’t deserve to be I God’s presence. I mean, it sounds so simple but it feels so complicated. There is too much to it that I cannot explain. It goes far beyond religion that I don’t even have the energy to explain it all, but eveyone seems too interested to keep me in a religion or convert me to another that it doesn’t really matter anyways.

I guess I will have keep searching but the LDS religion is making a lot of sense to me right now with the Apostasy and the Three Kingdoms doctrine… stuff like that I guess…

I do know one thing, though. I believe in one true church and that is either the Catholic of the Mormon church. I do not believe a protestant religion is right for one reason… the Catholic church either fell into Apostasy or it didn’t. If it did, then I do not believe you can derive a right church from a wrong church. It’s like trying to keep a branch from a dead trunk alive. If it fell into apostasy there needs to be a restoration, not a reformation. If it didn’t fall into apostasy, then the Catholic church is right. That’s just how I see it.

Spike, Welcome back. It is shameful that your parent had cut you off. Yet, I’m not surprise, there are many Catholic converts from other Christian tradition that have lost friends. Alex Jones, a Penecostal minister lost many of his fellow Penecostal friends. Scott Hahn, a former Presybyterian minister, David Currie former Evangelicist, and others here.

The theory of a restoration is not very Biblical and contradict Jesus’ promise to Peter in Matthew 16 that gates of hell shall not prevail against his Church.

the Apostacy if it is true would make Jesus’ promise a broken promise.

Mormonism itself teaches false doctrines;

1. Teaches that there are many gods, and that humans can become gods and goddesses in the Heavenly kingdom: “History of the Church” 6 p. 306; “Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball,” pp. 28, 51-53.

2. Teaches that God the Father was a man like us who progressed to become a God and presently has a body of flesh and bone. “God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!”—“Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith,” compiled by Joseph Fielding Smith, pp. 345-47.

3. Teaches that Jesus is our elder brother who progressed to godhood, after being procreated in spirit by the Father and a heavenly mother, and conceived physically by the Father and an earthly mother. “The Restoration of Major Doctrines Through Joseph Smith.” in, “The Ensign,” Jan 1989, pp. 28-29. They hold that Jesus and Lucifer are brothers—“Mormon Doctrine,” pp. 192, 546-47, 589-90.

4. The Holy Spirit is a spirit in the form of a man and only his influence is present everywhere.—“Doctrines of Salvation” I. pp. 38, 49-50 by Joseph Fielding Smith.

5. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three separate Gods—“Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith,” p. 370.

6. The Bible is corrupt, missing many “plain and precious parts” and does not contain the fullness of the Gospel—“Doctrines of Salvation” III. pp. 190, 191.

7. Information from the National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution. “The American Indians are physically Mongoloids and thus must have originated in eastern Asia.”—Cf. J. B. Billard, editor, “The World of the American Indian,” Washington, DC, National Geographic Society, 1974, 1979. See esp. the chapter “Across an Arctic Bridge” by J. D. Jennings.

Hey there,

I grew up in both a Mormon and Catholic household. It took me a while, and lots of searching, but I too thought the LDS church was the way. But it just never felt right and it was always in the back of mind that there was never any archealogical evidence to support it. I then went back to what I always knew was they right path, the Catholic Church. Here is a great article, please read it.

transporter.com/apologia/mormcath.htm

Good luck!

B.

Read this article from a former Mormon turn Catholic

Hi BumpSetSpike,

I as a Protestant am investigating Catholicism at the moment also.

This is the lowest point in my spiritual life because currently I feel like all churchs are wrong in some way and that the early church style has been lost.

Nevertheless, I am in a state of flux so this opinion is subject to change, I mention it however because I empathize with you, you are not alone.

I’m not going to bag out LDS, but you are aware that Mormonism is derived from Protestantism don’t you?

This is the closest I’ll come toa criticism of LDS but without Protestantism, Jospeh Smith wouldn’t have had his KJV to rewrite and/or base the Book of Mormon off.

If it didn’t fall into apostasy, then the Catholic church is right. That’s just how I see it.

I’m interested as to how you came to see the Catholic Church as being right?

Did you read a certain book that enlightened you or what?

Please let me know.

Love,
Rev

I feel like either way I go I can’t make it to Heaven anyways, so I don’t know why I try but I do. I think I would rather end up in Hell for one simple reason, that I don’t deserve to be I God’s presence.

Besides other answers, I would like to say that you must not allow the thought that you would end up in Hell trouble you - it is not your thought but that of Satan.

What we all do doesn’t really “deserve” to be with God, but by Grace of God and His love and mercy toward us, He wants us to be with Him in Heaven - and you must believe in Him and live the life according to His teachings.

Verifiable history points the way to home in the Catholic Church. Your Catholic family waits for you. I just wish it wasn’t such a huge sacrifice for you regarding your blood family. I lost my wife and kids over my decision to remain a Catholic in good standing. While it still hurts after 14 years, God and I both know that I made the right decision, and with strength, you will too.

BumpSetSpike,
You remain in my prayers. Please remember to PM me if you want to talk or have specific questions. The road you are on is so difficult.

I pray that you will come to believe in One, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, eternal God. One God, first cause, creator of ALL from nothing.

I pray that you will come to embrace God’s True Masculinity rather than an exalted man-god. Our Heavenly Father is THE Creator not a created being in a long line of created beings.

As the One and Only Creator He will never abandon you. Created beings can abandon. The Creator never will.

The greatest Christians in the world were not worthy to be in God’s presence. But God loves us so much He wants us there anyway. That’s what is so great about knowing God through Jesus Christ.

Look at the centurion in Lk 7:2-10/Mt 8:5-13. He was not worthy, but he trusted. Jesus said of him, "“Truly, I say to you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.” Look at the tax collector in Lk 18:10-14. He feared to even raise his eyes to heaven, but he humbly asked for mercy. Jesus said of him, “I tell you, this man went down to his house justified.” Look at Peter who denied knowing Jesus three times, even after proclaiming that he would never lose faith. This passage is so important that it is recorded in all four gospels. Yet Jesus forgives him too in Jn 21:15-17 and says to him, “Tend my sheep.”

Take your lead from these three examples. None of us are worthy. But when we ask for the Lord’s blessing in humility and faith we are all forgiven and made welcome.

While you are in your parents’ household and dependent upon them, your duty in the Lord is to respect their wishes. If they wish you to focus on a serious examination of the church they raised you in, by all means do so, and with enthusiasm to learn. Once you are grown and no longer dependent on your parents, if still have doubts then would be the time to pursue them.

Sir 3:1-11 Listen to me your father, O children; and act accordingly, that you may be kept in safety. For the Lord honored the father above the children, and he confirmed the right of the mother over her sons. Whoever honors his father atones for sins, and whoever glorifies his mother is like one who lays up treasure. Whoever honors his father will be gladdened by his own children, and when he prays he will be heard. Whoever glorifies his father will have long life, and whoever obeys the Lord will refresh his mother; he will serve his parents as his masters. Honor your father by word and deed, that a blessing from him may come upon you. For a father’s blessing strengthens the houses of the children, but a mother’s curse uproots their foundations. Do not glorify yourself by dishonoring your father, for your father’s dishonor is no glory to you. For a man’s glory comes from honoring his father, and it is a disgrace for children not to respect their mother.

Look to the evidence of both spirit and flesh. If true, the Book of Mormon has absolutely enormous religious and historical implications for the entire world. Extremely close scruitiny and scientific study of the evidence is therefore essential.

Therefore, I strongly encourage you to study, ask questions, and learn everything you can. Learn both the present-day teachings of the LDS Church and the historical teachings of the LDS Church. Learn about the historical and biographical information about the leaders of the LDS Church and how that influenced their teachings. Read every word of the Mormon Standard Works. Study also the external supporting evidence of the Mormon Standard Works both in other ancient writings and in archeology.

By the way, I am not a Mormon, but this does not change my advice to you one bit.

God bless.
Nan

Thanks for all the advice and the articles. I just realized that the were by the same person, haha.

Revelation, that is an interesting way to look at it. I know the LDS teaches that they are a restoration of the gospel, not a reformation. But they did choose to use the KJ bible instead of the DR one, of any bible that the Catholic churches teaches from. I guess my reasoning for my belief of one or the other as the right church is right in that paragraph. In fact, you had it bolded in my quote.

How can you derive the truth fron a church that has lost it? They eithe did or didn’t loose it and that’s what I’m trying to figure out.

Brothers and sisters, thank you very much for your suggestions and kind words once again. I can’t guaruntee when I can check back again because I am at a freinds.

God bless.
cassie

Cassie, my friend.

I’m glad to see you were able to post. I was in your shoes a few years ago. I grew up in Orem, in a Mormon family.

Your decision is hard, but Jesus is worth it! I came to the conclusion that I had to either believe Jesus when He said that He would never leave us nor forsake us, or I could choose to believe Joseph Smith when he said that Jesus did in fact leave His church to flounder for 1600+ years.

Honey, I’m praying for you. I know how hard it is to make this decision, and you are right… NONE of us are worthy to stand before God. That is exactly why we need Jesus’ and the sacraments to guide us in the Grace we receive. Then, and only then, can we stand before God blameless and pure in His sight. I completely understand what you are going through and I wish you peace on your journey.

I’ve lost my entire blood family. I, too, know your pain. Being Home in the Catholic church is my lifeline. You are not alone!

in Christ
Steph

Bump,

My parents weren’t thrilled with my becoming Catholic either. But they got over it. Yours will too if you end up making that decision. Once you start looking into the “apostasy” for example you will discover there wasn’t one. If you keep searching for the truth you will eventually find your way back to Christ’s Church. You aren’t the only LDS who has found Catholicism to be attractive. When you are on your own and ready all of those Catholic sources will be waiting for you.

clear your mind. restrain your emotions for a moment. Pray in a way that gives thanks and worship to God, no demands or petitions right now. Then read the Bible. Then pray again. Now go, study, think and repeat the whole process as long as necessary. You will be sure when you KNOW your answers instead of FEELING them. I have seen your posts here and I know what you are going through. I taught seminary and sunday school for your age group (amongst other things) when I was LDS. I know what you are facing. Have faith. God has universal, unchanging truth that he revealed and never took away from the earth. It’s not hard to find. It’s just hard to live by. Have faith, heaven stands ready to strengthen you every time you read the bible, pray and ESPECIALLY every time you lovingly care for another person that God placed on this earth with you. remember God has faith in you. :thumbsup:

I would recommend attending an Eastern Orthodox church for about 6 months or so. You’ll start to see Orthodoxy/Catholicism all through the New Testament… at least that has been my experience. Some things come by exposure and experience more than by reading.

Jeremiah

Hi Bump,

I remember you from before. I just want to comment on the whole apostasy issue. There never was an apostasy, and I would never believe there was or that would make Jesus a liar. The gates of hell would have prevailed upon His Church had it apostasized.

Take a look at my signature and read the last chapter of the Gospel of John. The bible tells us us something very important here. It says that the Peter and the some of the Apostles went fishing. After the Lord told them to cast their net they caught an abundance of fish. Then, Peter dives into the water to see the Lord and the apostles follow in the boat with the fish. Jesus tells Peter to bring him the fish and he does… 153 fish to be exact. Now, all the commentaries I have ever read have said that the fish represent the diverse “nations” of people that join Christ’s true Church. But rarely is it noticed the words “and although there were so many, the net was not torn”. Those words speak volumes. Peter’s net is not torn. (Keep in mind that only the Catholic Church continues to “claim” Peter). I read in Stephen Ray’s Gospel of John that the Greek word for “torn” translates to schizo on which the word schism is based. So, it is Peter’s Net (Church) that is given to Christ with all the believers (153 fish) and it remains untorn (without schism).

Also, one other thing to keep in mind. The LDS believe that Jesus “evolved” into His Godhood and that He is a separate God from the Father. This directly contradicts Hebrews 13:8 “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and for ever.” and John 10:30 " I and the Father are one". I am not trying to put you down in any way. I think some of the finest people I have met are LDS. But their teachings contradict scripture. They cannot be the true Church if their teachings contradict the Bible.

I will pray for your discernment. I think something must still be nagging at you… or you would not have posted again. Please consider dropping into a Catholic Church and praying in front of the Tabernacle. It doesn’t matter if your not Catholic. Just quietly pray there and ask Jesus to help you find your way… and then trust that He will.

Blessings,

Prayer Warrior

Thank you, Prayer Warrior and the rest of you, for caring. I can tell you that as many people I have of different faiths, Catholics have the most hospitality by far. It means a lot when making a decision like this.

As I mentioned before, I have been talking to my seminary teacher a lot. He has been very influencial to me and his answers are the sole reason I have been rethinking. Prayer warrior, him and I were talking about the Trinity and he shared with me that verse, John 10:30. He also shared with me a verse like John 17:11. It says,

“And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are”.

I know it wasn’t this verse, but it was a verse about Jesus’s apostles becoming one with them. That makes me wonder whether to take John 10:30 figurately of literally. One physically or one in what they want for us?

these feelings may be more common than you realize among folks your age, no matter what religion you were raised in. God created you for heaven, and to be in His presence for all eternity. Everything in you that is propelling you to study religion, ask questions, pray, search is the desire He planted in your heart to seek Him and become one with Him. I have no idea how the Mormon faith addresses this universal human longing, but the Catholic religion teaches that Jesus is the Second Person of the Holy Trinity, God who has assumed human flesh and humbled himself to accept human conditions, including suffering, persecution, and death on the Cross, so that he could rise again, destroying sin and death that binds humanity, and raising humanity to restored union with God.

Jesus also clearly and unambiguously described the hard and narrow way to reach that blessed unity. He established the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church on earth and send the Holy Spirit to protect it from error and guide it in its evangelization and teaching throughout history. If the church did indeed fall into apostasy, that makes Jesus a liar and the Holy Spirit a fraud.

Bump, by your logic LDS can’t be the right religion then.

Not only did Mormonism use the KJV, Smith tried to rewrite the KJV.

I’m very careful not to bag out LDS to you, I have the utmost respect for Mormons and think they live better than most Protestants - and they really try to live good - but I think if you look at Smith, the KJV, etc, you’ll see LDS cannot be the right religion.

I think the only thing you have to think about is this:

Either when Christ founded the Church it was a physical institution or a spiritual one.

If it was Physical, Catholicism and Orthodox narrows it down to one of these.

If it was spiritual and his church was belief in him being the Son of God irrespective of denomonation, then any church that bases it’s teachings from the Bible is fine.

Ofcourse conclusively saying which he mean’t, is difficult, and something I’m exploring.

Love,
Rev

I might try that, though I doubt in Sydney I’ll find any Orthodox churches that preach in English.

Love,
Rev

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.