Update on "Would you buy this?"- what do you think now?

Hi everyone, last week i posted about the possibility of selling homemade burritos to my husbands workplace. I was given the recipe several years ago by a friend who DOES sell at my current workplace. But she voluntarily gave me the recipe and never asked me to keep is secret. Anyway, I DID talk with her and told her about the situation, and as she is always a good Christian person, she gave me her complete blessing to go ahead. She is quite understanding about needing extra money ( she was a single mom for years) and told me to go ahead. So NOW… if someone brought homemade burritos to your work for $12.00/doz that contained NO preservatives, were easily freezable and could be meatless if requsted, would you buy them?

great news! I would definitely buy those!
good luck with your new business!

Definitely! Especially if they were nice big ones. :wink: :smiley:

My answer is the same as the last thread–YES! If you put them on dry ice, will you ship to my home?:smiley:

I would definitely! To have an easy meal that I could freeze and pop in the oven on a day I’m really busy would be a blessing :).

My answer is similar to last week - do you have a cat that walks on your kitchen counters?? :wink: —KCT

no- my cat is just plain too fat to crawl anywhere except the food dish in the basement:D twk

:rotfl:

Over here in the U.K, $12 wouldn’t buy you the ingredients for twelve burritos, let alone the labour + transport.

If you can do it, and make a few bucks, go for it!!

In Jesus Christ,

I still want to know if you’ll deliver to the Detroit metro area… :slight_smile:

If it weren’t for food allergies, yes. I am guessing you use flour tortillas and possibly chorizo (or other pork sausage) so I would have to pass on them but I know many others who would buy them :D.

I say go for it and see how it works!

Brenda V.

I am going to go against the grain.

$12 might be too cheap.

Calculate how much all your supplies are, including how much it cost to use your stove to cook them.

I bet you should sell them for $14/ dozen.:slight_smile: And yes, I would buy them, and eat them, and buy more, and eat those…

I’m with OutinChgoburbs on this one: raise your prices. You don’t need to sell them for a dollar apiece - surely you’ll lose money! Even if you can make ends meet on a dollar apiece, the object of a business is to provide income for your family. Raise the price to $14 or $15 for a dozen. I’m sure burritos in gas stations and roadside rest stops cost more than that! Seriously, if the food is being delivered to someone’s workplace, the price gets raised.

And yes, I’d buy them, and I’d buy lots. (Would you send homemade guacamole and salsa and fresh sour cream with them, for a nominal fee? Because I’m sure I’d eat them at work, and I’d want all the toppings.)

Yep I would buy them. It is hard to find good burritos. Most at the grocery store don’t come with enough filling inside and who knows what exactly they put in them?

Figure out your ACTUAL cost.

Go buy everything you need to make them. Figure every ingredient in the cost, if it calls for garlic powder and you have a bottle on the shelf - still, figure in the cost of the garlic powder. Don’t foget about your wrapping/packaging, disposable gloves, hair nets, extra runs of the dishwasher, etc.

Add in your gas to deliver the food…

Now you have an accurate look at the exact cost to make this item. After that, you can calculate what your selling price should be.

Yes, I agree that it’s important to figure out just how much these will cost to make/deliver before you start to sell. It would be easier to set a higher price now from the get-go than to find out you’re not making a profit and then have to increase your prices. People won’t like that as much.

You bet I would… yum

OK, I am going to be the critical one here.
I won’t even eat food at office & Church carry in’s. I guess it is because of too many years of being a Social Worker and Professional Organizer, I have seen some HORRIBLE kitchens! I have this fear of other people’s kitchen. Unless I knew you and knew that you have a CLEAN kitchen, and that you follow health code standards (or above) when you do your food prep. Don’t you have to have a permit to sell food that you make, and have the food inspector come out certify you? I also know that to even work as a cook in a restaurant (here in Indiana and many other states) you have to go through food prep classes of some kind.
Do you have/have to get a business license for this? Also being a business owner it URKS me when people start at home businesses and don’t pay taxes, since it is illegal! Another thought, do you have insurance incase someone gets food poisoning? I know all of this sounds picky, although it is part of running a business.
Now if you have the business license, insurance, food permits and all of that stuff, then YES I would buy them.
Just a side note, I am also VERY picky when eating out, I prefer places that I can see into the kitchen and I always read the food inspectors reports in our local paper and will not visit places that have had violations.
Again, sorry about being the critical one, just trying to be honest.

Let me make you feel better, Thou.

I do go to pot lucks, scout spaghetti dinners, and K of C pancake breakfasts. I also buy stuff from bake sales. They are the only way my family can afford to dine out with any regularity.

Such an activity as twk wants to enter is no more than epicurial baby-sitting. Just as there is baby-sitting and there is a daycare center, so there is “cooking from home for money” and the restaurant trade.

The amount of money she makes will probably not be enough to count on an IRS return. There is a threshold that the IRS mandates before such money needs to be reported. If, praise God, twk is so successful, it would behoove her to immediately incorporate or become a LLC. At that time, she will be responsible for paying income tax on a quarterly basis. Right now, her little sole proprietorship will probably show up on her IRS return as a deficit, because she is allowed to claim her direct expenses.

There is nothing wrong in my opnion with people starting a business. That is who the rest of us eventually get jobs, from people who need people to work. It is known as Free Enterprise, and it is the basis of the United States.

Each local area controls its own standards for cleanliness and what constitutes a business, vice what constitutes a cottage industry, vice what constitutes a way to make a little cash. If she lived in Chicago, I know they would want twk to get a vendor’s license (which doesn’t require much except an annual fee and paperwork). Out here in the burbs, nope, not necessary.

The sanitation of a household kitchen and the sanitation of a full-blown industrial kitchen are two different things. I will admit that nobody has ever been hurt by watching the movie about food borne illness.

**I do believe there are different regulations for both, although once again I would encourage her to check into the regulations.

I am really not trying to be the BAD guy here. She asked so I gave my opinion. I think that my opinion is worth her looking into. :slight_smile: I wish her the best of luck in whatever she does, and very much encourage her to make sure she does it the safest and legal way! **

Just incase someone asks, YES I did give my DS’s babysitter a 1099 and a lesson on how to file taxes!! Being that I was a public official I was required and expected to follow the law to a “T”. I believe I should as I believe others also should.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.