Upset and Very Discouraged

Recently, I have fallen back into lustful sins (to respect forum rules I won’t go into specifics). I have tried for months- no, years- to stop the cycle of quitting, relapsing, quitting, relapsing, and it was only recently (around the summer) that I found out how sinful my acts are. I have tried many things to quit, praying, Googling solutions for habits (I was desperate), and I have made little progress. I can’t seem to stop, and I am ashamed all the time at myself and it hurts my self esteem. To make matters worse, I rarely receive Communion. I fear that any of my acts, despite possibly being lessened due to habit, are mortal. I confess these sins, but they do not go away.

I always try to avoid and fight the sin, and I am so fearful of whether or not they are mortal. My inability to stop demoralizes my desire to resist. I fear Hell, and I feel as though Confession seems to not work (to help me quit). I ask God for strength, which helps (sometimes) but why isn’t he helping as much as I need? Please pray for me. If you have any advice (IE I am too scrupulous) please share. Thank you all, and God truly bless you.

I sense you really need a spiritual director, my friend. I strongly encourage you to find a priest you can talk to and ask him if he will be your director. Do this, or call the Bishop’s office and ask about a list of Spiritual Directors in your area.

God desires you to be encouraged, not discouraged. We are weak. If you have a good intention, that is a good start. Remember that and seek out a director.

Seems like you may have some issues with scrupulosity and a director can help you with this.

May Christ Our Lord continue to bless YOU!!

PRAY THE ROSARY

Can’t emphasize it enough! The rosary delivered me from habitual masturbation. Our Lady is willing to help anyone who calls upon her. I’m telling you, if you pray the rosary and stay close to Our Lady, the devil will have a much much much more difficult time trying to get you to fall into impurity. I’m 18 now. I started seriously living my faith a bit before I turned 17. Rosary Rosary Rosary!!! It takes 15-20 minutes, pray it everyday, pray the entire rosary 2-3 times everyday. It sounds like a lot but believe me it really is not as strenuous as it sounds. You have more time to pray than you think you do!!!
15 Promises to those dedicated to the rosary:
themostholyrosary.com/15promises.htm

When tempted, IMMEDIATELY, pray the following, either in your head or out loud (better out loud), "Precious Blood of Jesus wash over me, Jesus, Mary and Joseph, Guardian Angel, St. Maria Goretti and Blessed Alexandrina da Costa, help me to be pure."

DO NOT LOSE HOPE!!! God is with you!!! Our Lady is with you!!! Your Guardian Angel is with you!!! BE NOT AFRAID!!!

I second the spiritual advisor. Additionally, do you have any close friends or family members who can act as an accountability partner (similar to how an AA sponsor works). They could be someone you could call to talk to when you temptations feel overwhelming. Also, try going to mass more frequently (if possible) and receive communion (assuming you are able to and have already gone to confession).

Finally, try to recognize your triggers (and minimize them) and keep busy (Idle hands are the devil’s workshop). We all struggle with different crosses but the important thing is to never give up the fight and always seek Christ. I hope this helps.

I will keep you in my prayers

And Johnny is quite correct, too, the Rosary (via Our Lady’s intercession) can works miracles in your life. Give it a try! The devils are terrified of this little Jewish gal, who also happens to be Queen of the Universe, and they despise the rosary for the power it has to defeat them.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Prayer to Our Lady of Mental Peace

O Lady of Mental Peace,
Mother of Tranquility
and Mother of Hope,
look upon KidCatholic1 in this time
of weakness and unrest.

Teach her searching heart
to know that God’s Love
for her is unchanging and
unchangeable, and, that
true human love can only
begin and grow by touching
His Love.

Let your gentle Peace -
which this world cannot give

• be always with her.
    And, help her to bring this
    same Peace into the lives
    of others.

Our Lady of Mental Peace,

• Pray for us!
    Amen.

St. Michael the archangel, defend us in battle,
be our protection against the snares and
wickedness of the devil. May God rebuke him,
we humbly pray, o prince of heavenly host, by
the power of God, cast into hell Satan and all
the evil spirits who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

This original post was not about masterbation

Alma Redemptoris Mater, quæ pervia cæli
Porta manes, et stella maris, succurre cadenti,
Surgere qui curat, populo: tu quæ genuisti,
Natura mirante, tuum sanctum Genitorem
Virgo prius ac posterius, Gabrielis ab ore
Sumens illud Ave, peccatorum miserere.

Mother of Christ! Hear thou thy people’s cry,
Star of the deep, and portal of the sky!
Mother of Him Who thee from nothing made,
Sinking we strive and call to thee for aid;
Oh, by that joy which Gabriel brought to thee,
Thou Virgin first and last, let us thy mercy see.

Praying

Yes!!! ^^^^ Great advice and very true!

Amen!

The devils hate her because she is a creature lower than the angels and has so much grace!

She truly magnifies our Lord Jesus Christ, her Son!

Excellent advice!

The original post was about “lustful sins”, and the op was asking for advice.

The advice you have already been given is right on the money, find a priest, pray the rosary and trust the God will help you as we all pray for you.

Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Praying to the Holy Spirit to give you guidance, direction, strength, fortitude & wisdom to overcome your temptations.

Our Father who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done
on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen. :signofcross:

Hail Mary, full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed are you among women,
and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen. :signofcross:

Prayer To Confess A Lustful Heart

Dear Heavenly Father, You have told us in Your Word to put on the Lord Jesus Christ and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts (Rom. 13:14). I acknowledge that I have given in to fleshly lusts which wage war against my soul (1 Pet. 2:11). I thank You that in Christ my sins are forgiven, but I have transgressed Your holy law and given the enemy an opportunity to wage war in my members (Eph. 4:27; Jas. 4:1; 1 Pet. 5:8). I come before Your presence to acknowledge these sins and to seek Your cleansing (1 Jn. 1:9) that I may be freed from the bondage of sin (Gal. 5:1). I now ask You to reveal to my mind the ways that I have transgressed Your moral law and grieved the Holy Spirit so that I may stay pure in body and soul before You. I ask this, my Lord, strengthened by the intercession of the Immaculate Virgin Mary, Mother of God, of Blessed Michael the Archangel, of the Blessed Apostles Peters and Paul, and all the Saints and Angels of Heaven, and powerful in the holy authority of Your Name.
Amen.

Thank you all for your warm prayers. I you guys supporting me alone makes me feel much better. Again, thank you, and God bless!

:slight_smile:

Doesn’t matter. His advice could still help the OP.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.