Upsetting ...

Something really upset me the other day. I don’t know if I should be upset, but I do know that this is going to cause a lot of trouble.

The bible says for us to love our neighbor. It does not say with the exception of other religions. We are required to love even the people who are lost, for lack of a better word, in this world, such as people who practice Islam.

And now, a man whom I will only call “Mr. Jones” is trying to inflame the Islamic community by burning what they see as a holy and sacred book.

I’m not saying that the Quran is holy or sacred. It is neither. However, it will do no good to go public with this course of action, nor to do it at all. And right now, it would seem that Mr. Jones is crazy enough to want to start another war, when we have our hands full enough as it is with other matters of great importance, such as the war that we’re already in.

People can be so darned stupid, and it makes me angry! If someone here could please enlighten me as to what good it would do to go through with this choice of action? Because it really doesn’t seem very smart to me!

Tiffany, I would offer the following truth to you about us human beings: God has placed certain limitations on our intelligence, but none on our stupidity.

The world is full of fruitcakes like Mr. Jones, more so these days than before, in my opinion. It is the result of the moral demise of our nation over the past century. The moral demise of a nation always precedes its ultimate demise. Of this we can be sure. And an immoral people is always easier to enslave than a moral people. The Communists know this and one of the first things they do upon taking over a country is to get rid of all the morals. It makes their job easier.

I have seen a pumper sticker that read: “I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.” -Gandhi

Sad but true.:shrug:

I think it is unwise and uncharitable to burn the Quran. Because of our soldiers in harm’s way, I think it should not be done.

However, we have been hearing a lot about first amenendment rights being more important than sensitivity. More recently we have been treated to veiled threats about dire consequences if we treat Rev. Jones the same way we treat the organizers of the ground-zero mosque.

Here is a quote from the NY Times by Feisal Abdul Rauf: “These efforts by radicals at distortion endanger our national security and the personal security of Americans worldwide. This is why Americans must not back away from completion of this project. If we do, we cede the discourse and, essentially, our future to radicals on both sides.”

Basically it sounds like if we don’t honor their first amendment rights and allow the mosque to be built, despite the great insensitivity they are showing, we will be attacked by terrorists.

Apparently, however, if we DO honor that idiot Jones’ first amendment rights, despite the great insensitivity he is showing, our soldiers will be attacked by terrorists.

The important thing is to keep our soldiers safe. But if the result is a world in which only Muslims are allowed to exercise their constitutional rights in an insensitive manner (for fear of reprisal by terrorists), it seems something important has been lost by us all. Perhaps in his uncharitable and unwise way, Jones’ point is to show us that. Or perhaps he is just a hateful idiot. I have no way of knowing which it is.

–Jen

I have seen a pumper sticker that read: “I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.” -Gandhi

And I’ve seen a bumper sticker that reads…

Jesus loves you.

Everyone else thinks you’re a jerk.

I think this applies to Mr. Jones.

This is very upsetting. Mr. Jones puts an emphasis on “radicalism” when it comes to his beliefs. Thus Mr. Jones would rather be radical for rather than be faithful to the teachings of Christ. He would rather be divisive instead of becoming a peacemaker. He would rather “be seen by the world” than to be made humble and small… It is plain to see that Mr. Jones is not following the Gospel of Our Lord, he is following the gospel according to Mr. Jones.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.