Upside down "satantic" Cross

As most must know there is a thing in modern day Satanism that claims that the upside down cross is satantic while I know this is bull and the upside cross was and still is St peters Cross I have no proof for this…any thoughts?
peace and blessings
Mauro
(P.S. and I heard somewhere that modern day Satanism was some crazy idea that happened recentley ((and I dont mean like 2000 I mean like the 80’s or something like that)) anyway if someone could help me with that too)

All I know about Satanism is that the Satanic bible was big in the 1980’s. That was written by a man named Levay.:shrug:

To Catholics the upside down cross represents St. Peter. That doesn’t mean that a group couldn’t hijack our symbols. Even if they claim the upside down cross for themselves, that doesn’t destroy the symbols original meaning.

I think its just supposed to be a mockery of the Cross.

Upside down crucifix usually, not a cross. And it’s just to be disrespectful, it doesn’t hold any significance. (For spiritual satanists)

Modern (philosophical) Satanism is the fruit of an ordinary atheist who drew attention to his ‘me first’ philosophy by being theatrical. His name was Anton LeVay and he created the “Church of Satan” specifically in mockery of the Catholic church. (Their ‘hierarchy’ for example) The Satanic Bible was written in 1969. Their ‘rites’ were essentially to grab headlines and the vast majority have fallen out of practicing such things.

From what I have heard, it is a way of trying to degrade the foundation of the true Church, i.e., Peter, upon which rock, Jesus built his church. This is because St Peter was crucified in an upside down position
Deacon Ed B

The Satanic symbol is just a pentagram and sometimes the inverted cross. It’s just the opposite of what christianity is supposed to represent. Yet, Christians should look at Satanism as validating the principles in the bible, because if not for it, there would be no Satan. In other words, if a person is a Satanist they believe that the good side of the bible has power. Like in those vampire movies where the hunter holds up a cross and really burns them because the cross has power. :smiley:

Why is it you all are writing Satanism in the red font color? Quite funny seeing that in many consecutive posts.

Did you happen to do a forum search for that word? It’s in the same color as everything else on my screen.

Yep, you are right I was searching for new threads that were unusual. Thanks for the tip.:thumbsup:

I think Mschrank is correct, it’s meant to mock the crucifix. The same as an upside-down flag is to mock the flag’s meaning.

upside down cross is ok, Peter was crucified in this way.
upside down crucifix (with Christ’s body on it) is mockery.

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=3421462&postcount=5

Actually, an upside down pentagram seems to be the favorite icon for Devil worshippers. The two points on top represent the horns of Baphomet. Quite repulsive really. As others have posted, the upside down cross (specifically crucifix, not cross) is simply a mockery of Christ.

They seem to enjoy doing things that are the opposite of Christ. Kind of like “opposite day” except it goes year round. Pretty silly. Unless these modern Satanists are modeling their faith after Set or other dark gods (which makes more sense to me), many seem to be hell bent on simply “fighting the system” by worshipping God’s adversary (that little whiner who wanted to be God).

You really should do a simple search on Satanism to see what’s out there. It’s kind of like the Christian denoms that have many differing beliefs. The same concepts are there, but interpretation and practice could be completely different.

The modern day Satanism you usually see is:

**A. Theistic Satanism **(Satan actually is worshipped as a deity)

**note**: anti-Christian, defeated people who think they will have a special place in hell and it's all a party with the dark one himself.  Considering their object of worship's personality, I don't think they really get that he's a pretty selfish person and wants slaves, not friends.

B. Luciferianism (it’s claimed by them that Lucifer is the real savior who brings light and enlightenment, while the Christian God is the false one who is filled with ignorance)

**note**  I hate this one the most.  I include it under modern Satanism, because the source of it is the same.

**C. Philosophical Satanism **(Church of Satan - Satan is not a real deity, but a symbol) Actually a bunch of atheists running around doing whatever their wicked little hearts desire and putting on funny robes and performing ridiculous rituals based on Christian belief.

**note**:  Just plain dumb

Seriously, do a search online. It’s not perfect, but will give you an idea. And, by the way, be prepared for blasphemous, dark sites with posted prayers to Satan. Despicable.

Don’t get too wound up about them. Don’t study them too hard. Live your life and focus on being a Christian, not dwelling on the dark side of life. It’s not pleasant.

Peace…

MW

Your description of theistic Satanism needs some serious work. The vast majority of theistic Satanists do not view Satan in the same light as Christians do; as a fallen angel, or even a created creature. Many are polytheistic and believe in several gods (of which Satan is one of them), nor do they think he is malevolent.

So no, they don’t think there will be some special place in hell. More to the point - Satanists who do believe in the Christian God, do not believe we get a special place in hell.

• This is an old thread by the way.

My description wasn’t an all-inclusive theological work. It was meant to be as short as possible to give the OP an idea of what “they” are like, without writing a whole article about the specifities of their faith. Of course, I agree that they do not see Satan as we Christians do. They would cease to be Satanists if that were the case and embrace Christianity. My description was general and I prefaced my ABC with:

[quote=Mystic Warrior]You really should do a simple search on Satanism to see what’s out there. It’s kind of like the Christian denoms that have many differing beliefs. The same concepts are there, but interpretation and practice could be completely different.
[/quote]

From Diane Vera’s website, she uses the general notion that a theistic Satanist is anyone who reveres Satan as a deity and acknowledges at the same time that there are many different kinds of theistic Satanists.

Though she is not the Satanic authority, nor is anyone else for that matter, I would surmise that the MAJORITY of theistic Satanists are mainly focused on the deity “Satan”, instead of lesser deities. Wouldn’t you agree with that generalized statement? I really didn’t intend to provide an in-depth analysis of theistic Satanism.

By the way, the dabblers in the occult and personal Satanists that I have dealt with, do have the philosophy of partying in hell with the Devil and having a special position there. Of course, that’s untrue, but they believe it nevertheless.

And beyond that, the satanic cult I’ve worked with certainly believes that nonsense. That’s my subjective experience and cannot be thoroughly objective and verified to be “all theistic Satanists belief system”.

It’s all dark philosophy that I will continue to lead people away from. Just as you seek to lead others away from God and get enjoyment from it (as you have stated yourself), so I will do the opposite - to lead people away from Satan.

Interesting battle I’d say. I really enjoy seeing people freed from demonic possession and abuse. I enjoy almost as much the terror in the eyes of gargoyles when I mention “the Name”. Reminds me of the power of God and the weakness of the imitation adversary.

MW

I realize that, however your “note” on theistic Satanists was pointed toward a very very tiny minority that falls under the umbrella of ‘theistic Satanists’. This gave the impression that is what [theistic Satanists] believe in general, which is simply not the case.

From Diane Vera’s website, she uses the general notion that a theistic Satanist is anyone who reveres Satan as a deity and acknowledges at the same time that there are many different kinds of theistic Satanists. (…) Satanists are mainly focused on the deity “Satan”, instead of lesser deities.

I would only add that Satan is not always the *sole *focus in what she is describing.

The* inverted* pentagram. The pentagram originally stood for the five wounds of Christ.

Source???:confused:

Look, the last thing we need is people wearing an upside down cross and when people ask us about it, we say something like, “Oh, I’m Catholic.” Some other Christians are skeptical enough of us as it is.

And now a pentagram (pentacle?) too? C’MON:eek:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagram#Christianity

Yeah I looked there first. It says that the pentagram didn’t really show up in Christianity until Medieval times. So yes, devotionals can develop, and yes, pagan symbols can take on new meanings (i.e, wedding rings), but I’ll pass on this one since it

1. started pagan
  2. has freemason ties
  3. is still used by the occult
  4. has no basis in Scripture
  5. has no basis in Sacred Tradition
  6. did not appear in “little T” tradition until medieval times.
  7. will reflect badly on Catholics in general.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.