Urbi et Orbi indulgence and absolution question

So I was watching the Urbi et Orbi blessing and have a question about the “indulgence and absolution of sins” that the Holy Father grants to all people present or those tuned in through radio, tv or via the Internet. My question is, what does it mean to be granted “an indulgence and absolution of sins”? Does this mean that if somebody had unconfessed sins during the blessing, that they would no longer be required to confess those sins, and thus be able to receive communion again immediately?

I’d like to know this too. Interested to see the responses.

No.

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/motu_proprio/documents/hf_jp-ii_motu-proprio_20020502_misericordia-dei_en.html

1. As regards the personal disposition of penitents, it should be reiterated that:

a) “For the faithful to avail themselves

validly of sacramental absolution given to many at one time, it is required that they not only be suitably disposed but also at the same time intend to confess individually the serious sins which at present cannot be so confessed”.(22)

b) As far as possible, including cases of imminent danger of death, there should be a preliminary exhortation to the faithful “that each person take care to make an act of contrition”.(23)

c) It is clear that penitents living in a habitual state of serious sin and who do not intend to change their situation cannot validly receive absolution.

1. The obligation “to confess serious sins at least once a year”(24) remains, and therefore “a person who has had serious sins remitted by general absolution is to approach individual confession as soon as there is an opportunity to do so before receiving another general absolution, unless a just cause intervenes”.(25)

Also, if you missed the live version and watched it at a later time via internet, does the blessing still apply??

Yes, if you are ‘suitably disposed’.

Great…went to the sacrament of reconciliation yesterday! :smiley:

The Pope is NOT giving “general Absolution” during this blessing. He is using an *older *form of the solemn blessing…a very formal form…the term “absolution” there is NOT an “absolution”…as in “I absolve you of your sins” in confession or “general absolution” of people on a plane about to crash…it is simply a term that was used in the past when giving a formal blessing and indulgence.

But yes…if one is watching or listening live…it has been understood that one may receive this blessing and indulgence (with the usual conditions).

The Pope is NOT here giving “general Absolution” during this blessing. He is using an *older *form of the solemn blessing…a very formal form…the term “absolution” there is NOT an “absolution”…as in “I absolve you of your sins” in confession or “general absolution” of people on a plane about to crash…it is simply a term that was used in the past when giving a formal blessing and indulgence.

So this is not about what happened at that blessing…:slight_smile: Just an older formal language thing…

I was answering the OP’s question about general absolution.

He was asking about the use of the term “absolution” in the giving of the blessing yesterday by the Pope…

So I was noting that the Pope certainly was not giving “general absolution” …the term “absolutionem” there does not refer to sacramental absolution.

(So your answer in regards to general absolution would not apply to this use of the term…but to general absolution…which is something that should be only in very precise circumstances…like the ship is about to sink …or the town is about to be nuked…)

We both said the same thing. :slight_smile:

Yes…I saw the “no” :slight_smile:

I was making sure it was clear that he was in no way giving “general absolution”…:slight_smile:

Happy Easter

I saw the Urbi et Orbi on EWTN. The Holy Father held the Vigil Mass on Saturday, the Sunday Easter Mass and then the Urbi et Orbi. Busy couple of days for him!!!

I only participated at the Easter Vigil Mass (and I needed a 3 hour nap on Easter Sunday).

Alright then. So any misunderstansings arising from “absolutio” have been cleared up. Thank you all your answers :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.