Urgent: a close friend is in the midst of discerning whether to stay catholic

One of my best friends and the reason I’m still considering Catholicism, has been in a painful period of study, prayer and discernment about whether to stay Catholic or become a Protestant. He has asked for prayer, as he is going to come to a decision on the 1st of March. He was a huge support for a lot of people includibg myself and vigorously defended the faith, but now his studies have brought him to this point. Please pray for him, that he’ll seek out the help he needs and not try to do this alone.

Holy Michael the Archangel defend us in the day of battle.
Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host,
by the Power of God,
thrust down to hell satan and all the wicked spirits,
who wander through the world for the ruin of souls.
Amen.

Remember, O most loving Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession and was left forsaken. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you I come, before you I stand, a sorrowful sinner. Despise not my words, O Mother of the Word, but in your mercy, hear and answer me.
Amen

Certainly praying!
But also, what have his “studies” brought him to understand differently than before? And why such a definitive deadline. It almost sounds like his decision is based on some other motive. You dont give TRUTH a deadline.

Lord, please reveal yourself to this friend and grant him the eyes of faith, the capacity to see your typological figures, and your holy truths. Grant him a zeal to obey your commands independent of any arbitrary dates. Cultivate in the hearts of both these friends graces for the virtues of faith, hope, love, and joy. Send holy angels to guide them and to arrange for them situations that will lead them ever to the heavenly garden. Spare them a foretaste of heavenly light, that they ever be guided through the murky paths of this world. Have mercy, Lord. Our Lady, angels, and saints, pray with us. Amen.

Praying,

Our Father…
Hail Mary…
Hail Mary…
Hail Mary…
Glory Be…

Benedicat Deus,
Latinitas

How is it that someone who diligently seeks the truth of christ would be led astray? Most assuredly the holy spirit will lead. Of course if the holy spirit leads this person who honestly seeks God to leave the Catholic church then we must ask ourselves,why? Are we to believe that no one outside of the Catholic church is being led by the holy spirit?
The kingdom of God is within you.:wink:

Hail Mary, Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

:gopray:

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning is now ever shall be world without end
Amen.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen

:signofcross:

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the malice and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

Lord Jesus Christ, most merciful Saviour of the world, we
humbly beseech You, by Your most Sacred Heart, that all the
sheep who stray out of Your fold may in one days be
converted to You, the Shepherd and Bishop of their souls, who
lives and reigns with God the Father in the unity of the Holy
Spirit, world without end.
Amen.

Hail Mary, Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

Amen.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Amen.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Praying to St. Michael the Archangel for your friend to keep the faith.

Praying for your friend’s faith:

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Praying that the Lord may grant your friend strength and guidance. Also praying for all necessary graces for him.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

Discernment means seeking God’s will. I doubt that God’s will is for anyone to leave His Church, although I certainly don’t claim to know definitively. Truth is truth is truth. My prayers are with your friend in that he does not stray from the one, holy, catholic, apostolic church.

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Why are all these prayers cookie cutter prayers? Is there no from the heart originality left in anyone? I doubt, when the lord said to “pray like this”, he ment for us to plagerize him exactly. Seems all so spiritually empty, ironically. Like a Hallmark card, already filled out for us, merely waiting for our signature.

Praying for your friend to resolve the questions he has.

Praying…
+

*O most beautiful Flower of Mount Carmel, Fruitful Vine, Splendor of Heaven, who brought forth the Son of God still remaining a Virgin, assist us in this necessity. O Star of the Sea, help us, and show us that you are our Mother.

O Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and earth, we humbly ask you from the depths of our heart to help us in this necessity. There are none who can withstand your power. O show us that you are our Mother.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee. Sweet Mother, we place this cause in your hands. Amen*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.