US and international media promoting Fake News

“The Muslim Olympian ‘detained because of President Trump’s travel ban’ was detained under Obama” in December 2016.

washingtonexaminer.com/more-mainstream-media-mess-ups-the-muslim-olympian-detained-because-of-president-trumps-travel-ban-was-detained-under-obama/article/2614645

“Ibtihaj Muhammad: Well, I personally was held at Customs for two hours just a few weeks ago.”

"Many journalists skipped over the “when” of Muhammad’s story, and rushed to publish reports tying her story to the president’s immigration order.

“Olympic athlete Ibtihaj Muhammad was detained because of President Trump’s travel ban,” read a headline published by Time magazine’s Motto.
The U.K.'s Independent went with a story titled, “US Olympic fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad says she was detained by Customs after Donald Trump’s ‘Muslim ban.’
The Daily Mail said of the incident that it, “comes after Donald Trump signed an executive order – currently suspended – banning travel from seven largely Muslim countries causing chaos in US airports.””

““U.S. Olympian Ibtihaj Muhammad being detained illustrates why Trump’s Muslim ban is not who we are as Americans,” read the headline to an article published by the New York Daily News.
The Hill published an article whose opening paragraph read, “A Muslim-American Olympic medalist says she was detained by Customs for nearly two hours without explanation after President Trump’s travel ban was instituted a few weeks ago.”
Sports Illustrated and ESPN published stories whose entire purpose was to tie Muhammad’s Customs tale to Trump’s immigration order, though the reports don’t come right out and say it.
Journalists reacted to the story on social media with the usual mixture of despair and outrage.
The problem with this particular news cycle is that Muhammad was detained in 2016, weeks before Trump had even been sworn in as America’s 45th president.”

Headlines from:
New York Daily News - wrong
Time magazine’s Motto - wrong
The U.K.'s Independent - wrong
The Hill - wrong
The Daily Mail - wrong

Mendacious propaganda.

It’s really sickening. I can hardly look at the news anymore. So much lying.

That’s what people need to do. Stop watching. Stop being so accommodating and uncomfortably polite at airports and dentist office waiting rooms with it. Stop thinking you’re getting old school Cronkite on your local 5 PM and 10 PM news.

Tell them and show them you’re not watching. Let the advertisers take notice that they are just throwing their money away.

And even Cronkite was a closet lefty with an agenda, pushing for abortion and various other social abominations. Activists naturally gravitate to positions of advocacy and power.

I do not: watch TV, read newspapers or listen to non-Catholic radio. Even then, I turn Catholic news off. Why should I pay to be insulted, or subject myself to worry about things over which I have no control?

A writer on “The Federalist” … Daniel Payne … has cataloged the Fake News items.

Excellent and detailed job.

thefederalist.com/2017/02/06/16-fake-news-stories-reporters-have-run-since-trump-won/

Very good.

Check it out.

** Sixteen fake news stories reporters have run since Trump won.

excerpt:

Since at least Donald Trump’s election, our media have been in the grip of an astonishing, self-inflicted crisis. Despite Trump’s constant railing against the American press, there is no greater enemy of the American media than the American media. They did this to themselves.

We are in the midst of an epidemic of fake news. There is no better word to describe it than “epidemic,” insofar as it fits the epidemiological model from the Centers for Disease Control: this phenomenon occurs when “an agent and susceptible hosts are present in adequate numbers, and the agent can be effectively conveyed from a source to the susceptible hosts.”

The “agent” in this case is hysteria over Trump’s presidency, and the “susceptible hosts” are a slipshod, reckless, and breathtakingly gullible media class that spread the hysteria around like—well, like a virus.

It is difficult to adequately sum up the breadth of this epidemic, chiefly because it keeps growing: day after day, even hour after hour, the media continue to broadcast, spread, promulgate, publicize, and promote fake news on an industrial scale. It has become a regular part of our news cycle, not distinct from or extraneous to it but a part of it, embedded within the news apparatus as a spoke is embedded in a bicycle wheel.

Whenever you turn on a news station, visit a news website, or check in on a journalist or media personality on Twitter or Facebook, there is an excellent chance you will be exposed to fake news. It is rapidly becoming an accepted part of the way the American media are run.

How we will get out of this is anyone’s guess. We might not get out of it, not so long as Trump is president of these United States. We may be up for four—maybe eight!—long years of authentic fake news media hysteria. It is worth cataloging at least a small sampling of the hysteria so far. Only when we fully assess the extent of the media’s collapse into ignominious ineptitude can we truly begin to reckon with it.

Since Trump’s election, here’s just a small sampling of fake news that our media and our journalist class have propagated.

Early November: Spike in Transgender Suicide Rates
After Trump’s electoral victory on November 8, rumors began circulating that multiple transgender teenagers had killed themselves in response to the election results. There was no basis to these rumors. Nobody was able to confirm them at the time, and nobody has been able to confirm in the three months since Trump was elected.

Nevertheless, the claim spread far and wide: Guardian writer and editor-at-large of Out Zach Stafford tweeted the rumor, which was retweeted more than 13,000 times before he deleted it. He later posted a tweet explaining why he deleted his original viral tweet; his explanatory tweet was shared a total of seven times. Meanwhile, PinkNews writer Dominic Preston wrote a report on the rumors, which garnered more than 12,000 shares on Facebook.

At Mic, Matthew Rodriguez wrote about the unsubstantiated allegations. His article was shared more than 55,000 times on Facebook. Urban legend debunker website Snopes wrote a report on the rumors and listed them as “unconfirmed” (rather than “false”). Snopes’s sources were two Facebook posts, since deleted, that offered no helpful information regarding the location, identity, or circumstances of any of the suicides. The Snopes report was shared 19,000 times.

At Reason, writer Elizabeth Nolan Brown searched multiple online databases to try to determine the identities or even the existence of the allegedly suicidal youth. She found nothing. As she put it: “[T]eenagers in 2016 don’t just die without anyone who knew them so much as mentioning their death online for days afterward.”

She is right. Just the same, the stories hyping this idea garnered at least nearly 100,000 shares on Facebook alone, contributing to the fear and hysteria surrounding Trump’s win.

“The man who never looks into a newspaper is better informed than he who reads them, inasmuch as he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. He who reads nothing will still learn the great facts, and the details are all false.” ~Thomas Jefferson to John Norvell, 1807. ME 11:225

“As for what is not true, you will always find abundance in the newspapers.” Thomas Jefferson to Barnabas Bidwell, 1806. ME 11:118

“Advertisements… contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper.” ~Thomas Jefferson to Nathaniel Macon, 1819. ME 15:179

“Whoever controls the media, controls the mind”
― Jim Morrison

“All I know is just what I read in the papers, and that’s an alibi for my ignorance.”
― Will Rogers

Agree with all the above!:thumbsup:

I only listen to Catholic News (Morning Glory). I’m tired of the stories the mainstream media expects me to be interested in. I used to listen to NPR, and still follow them on fb, but got tired of their agenda. There isn’t a day that goes by they don’t push homosexual and transgender rights issues, climate change and evolution. Their stories are geared to these issues. One of their favorite lines is, "according to the non-partisan institute. They actually sited Gutmacher as non-partisan and went on to use research from them to claim that abortion has no long term negative effects on women. And the comments are so hateful and uninformed, rote even.

As Americans, we’re exposed to more “fake news” than anyone else in the world. The reason is because, as American citizens, we have a certain subtle, microscopic effect on the world through our voting. As a direct result of this we’re the most lied to population on Earth. Media is international though, and so the margin of lies isn’t hugely different between other English speaking nations. A handful of exceptionally virulent non-Christians own and jealously guards the mass media hook, line and sinker. We’re at the mercy of utterly merciless people. It’s the reason we see such blatant, foul and Satanic social engineering all around us. Pro-abortion propaganda and pro-abortion mind control, for instance, isn’t difficult to perceive. But that’s only a single aspect of a multi-faceted agenda.

If anyone has any interest in this, a search for “concentration of media ownership” will yield a large number of good articles.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

It is difficult to find out what is honest reporting and what isn’t anymore. It shouldn’t be that way but it is, and disappointing.

You can take solace in the fact Trump doesn’t read newspapers, or anything else for that matter (including executive orders).

As Americans, we’re exposed to more “fake news” than anyone else in the world. The reason is because, as American citizens, we have a certain subtle, microscopic effect on the world through our voting, and as a direct result of this we’re the most lied to population on Earth. Media is international though, and so the margin of lies isn’t hugely different between other English speaking nations. It is there though, as we can see with The Independent, which is one of the freer journalist outposts in the world. We don’t have a newspaper like that in America. In America, a handful of exceptionally virulent anti-Christians own, and jealously guard, the mass media hook, line and sinker. We’re at the mercy of utterly merciless people. It’s the reason we see such blatantly Satanic social engineering all around us from day to day. Pro-abortion propaganda and pro-abortion mind control, for instance, isn’t difficult to perceive. Nor is racial tension, which is deliberately fostered and jacked-up at all turns. And these are only two aspects of a highly multi-faceted agenda.

It has to do with the concentration of media ownership.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.