US Appeals Court: ‘In God We Trust’ On Currency Not A Violation Of First Amendment

NEW YORK (CBS DC) – The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit ruled on Wednesday that the use of “In God We Trust” on American currency does not violate the Establishment Clause or the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment.

In response to a secular lawsuit brought by a primary plaintiff from the Freedom From Religion Foundation, the 3-judge panel concluded that the inclusion of the “In God We Trust” motto on U.S. currency does “not have a religious purpose or advance religion, nor does [it] place a substantial burden on appellants’ religious practices,” reads the Second Circuit ruling.

The primary plaintiff in Newdow v. The Congress of the United States, FFRF member Rosalyn Newdow, collected coins for 40 years, but was compelled to stop purchasing the coins because it excludes nonbelievers who are “substantially burdened” by having to use currency with the motto referencing “God.”

washington.cbslocal.com/2014/05/29/us-appeals-court-in-god-we-trust-on-currency-not-a-violation-of-first-amendment

Does the last sentence of the Declaration of Independence not say,
“And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.”

the poem that became the national anthem had a fourth and it said In God is our Trust

(Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war’s desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!)

…so that motto has been around for at least 200 years…and on our currency for over 100 (I think Abraham Lincoln designated it?

Well that is one thing they got right. It always amazes me the number of folks who believe that the constitution allows for freedom from religion, when in fact it allows for freedom OF religion. A very important difference not well understood by many.

I think it is ridiculous that the Freedom From Religion Foundation pursues such lawsuits like this. All it does is waste our taxpayer dollars by having to have judges hear these cases and then rule on them. Also, I do not see how they get the idea that having the words “In God we trust” on coins affects their religious freedom in any way.

The real problem is that US currency says “Federal Reserve Note” on it instead of “United States Treasury”. And these people are worried about “In God We Trust”? Trust me, there are greater things to worry about concerning US currency then this.

I agree that there are greater things to worry about. However, I’m not really concerned about the “Federal Reserve Note” on it.

You should be. The Constitution does not give the Federal Reserve the power to create money, only the US Treasury has that power,

Thanks for telling us this. This is a sort of “Audit the Fed”, Ron Paul, ( amazon.com/Creature-Jekyll-Island-Federal-Reserve/dp/0912986212/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401472900&sr=1-1&keywords=monster+of+jekyll+island )Creature of Jekyll island type of thing you are telling us using my own layman terms.

While I think one should be worried about it I agree there are greater things to worry about. What is more concerning is what the paper does not have on it. At one time paper notes promised to pay you something real, precious metal. They reneged on that and kept the gold and silver. Without the cover of law we call that thievery.

Well this is interesting. I did not know these things. Thank you for informing me. I am not good at all when it comes to economics.

I don’t think “auditing the FED” will do anything. The Federal Reserve should not have the power to create money period, and neither should the banks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.