US Baptists at war over gay marriage and ordination

A US evangelical church faces being kicked out of its Baptist convention next month if it fails to reverse its decision to admit gays to all aspects of church life including marriage and ordination.

The First Baptist Church of Greenville in South Carolina voted in May not to discriminate against the right of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people either to belong to the church, to be married or to be ordained.

christiantoday.com/article/us.baptists.at.war.over.gay.marriage.and.ordination/62628.htm

From the link:

There are big lessons here for every church, every denomination, and every Christian institution. Once biblical inerrancy is abandoned, there is no brake on theological and moral revisionism. The Bible’s authority becomes relative, and there is no anchor to hold the church to the words of Scripture and 2000 years of Christian witness.

Heresies have been with us since Jesus rose from the dead. The recent crop seeks to incorporate modern liberal thought into the Church, but Jesus’ last instruction to his apostles was to “go into the world and preach the Gospel, teaching all that I have taught you.” He did not tell them to “go into the world, find out what is going on, and bring it back for incorporation into my Church.”

What is going on here is the Gospel in reverse.

and there is no anchor to hold the church to the words of Scripture and 2000 years of Christian witness.

Funny how they would almost accept Sacred Tradition if it weren’t such a papist thing.

From the link:
Quote:
“There are big lessons here for every church, every denomination, and every Christian institution. Once biblical inerrancy is abandoned, there is no brake on theological and moral revisionism. The Bible’s authority becomes relative, and there is no anchor to hold the church to the words of Scripture and 2000 years of Christian witness.” end quote

Without a** Living** Magisterium, anyone can take Bible verses out of context and apply them differently, to fit the current secular world. For instance, they can argue that other texts, from the Old and New Testaments, commanding “justice” must apply here (to support things like gay marriage, etc). They can argue that verses from Paul, for instance, refer to promiscuous gay behavior, not “stable loving relationships”. So it’s not abandonment of Biblical inerrancy that’s the whole problem, that is just part of it.

The existing “traditional” books of the Bible, 27 in the New Testament, offer much wiggle room to anyone who wants to push any kind of agenda, even while offering lip service to “inerrancy”. But some Protestant groups are going farther; they don’t try to “explain away” verses about homosexuality, they simply omit them from newer bibles as not inspired. Further, some are taking the next step of admitting other books to the NT. So basically there will be unlimited wiggle room in the near future. You can choose your scriptures to fit you, and still call it “inerrancy”; unless you have a Magisterium to take into account.

Not saying I agree with this argument - but some would argue (presumably these Baptists among others), that one thing Christ definitely did teach was inclusive compassion.

Now they may have got the wrong end of the stick about how you apply this, but I think we can at least readily admit their desire to admit people who are gay to marriage/ordination comes from a Christian desire to be loving. It’s just a little misdirected…

This surprises me!

Where in the NT does it mention “inclusive”?

I used to belong to a former Southern Baptist church that got disfellowshipped by the Southern Baptist Convention for deciding to become an officially welcome congregation for LGBT folk. About half the congregation was LGBT. Some other Baptist organizations like the Baptist Peace Fellowship are officially LGBT welcoming and some American Baptist congregations are fairly welcoming, too.

I am shocked. I thought all baptists were conservative.

Churches can, and should, be “welcoming” of persons with same sex attraction. That doesn’t mean we give up God’s call to conversion of behavior. We are all tempted to commit certain sins. For all I know, that temptation could be linked to heredity or upbringing. The Church doesn’t demand I be perfect now, or that I should be denied love because of this or that inclination. All it asks is that I strive to avoid sin to the best of my ability, and seek confession when I fall.

I would not want a Church that tells me whatever I want to hear, where there is no call to conversion. If the church follows the secular media, why bother going to church at all?
Now, has the church sometimes failed to offer LGBT people support? Have Christians sometimes treated LGBT persons with cruelty, and failed to show them the love of Christ. Yes. But the Church can only respond to problems like cruelty if she still believes in conversion.

I get so tired of hearing that a church is following the secular media or telling it’s followers only what they want to hear just because their views, understandings, faith beliefs differ from someone else’s. I would not want a church that is not open to a conversion in understanding, to finite human beings evolving over time in their understandings of Scripture and of an infinite God. I don’t want a church where so much about God is black and white in a box and the lid closed. (I must give credit to Thoroflr for that one from another thread). I want a church where God is still speaking. Where our diversity is welcomed. And one might “bother” to go to church to worship with other believers, to hear the Gospel of love, to sing praises.

It comes as no surprise that Modernism is the most pernicious, damaging heresy of the current age.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.