US Bishop Change: Grand Rapids, Michigan

This morning the Holy See announced the decision of Pope Francis to accept the retirement of Bishop Walter Allison Hurley and to name Bishop-elect David J. Walkowiak as Bishop of Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA.

As a member of the West Michigan dioceses. I can say I’ll be sad to see Bishop Hurley go. But also excited that someone else is coming in.

They’ve announced his ordination date - Tuesday 18 June - his 60th birthday.

That was fast! I know two months is about average, but it usually takes a little time to hammer out the date. His 60th birthday and his episcopal ordination. Too bad it looks like it’s just 9 days from also being the anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood. :stuck_out_tongue:

The new bishop is giving a live press conference right now on the diocesan website. He seems good – pastoral, and with an appreciation for lay ministry.

Arrgh! Stupid School! I wish I could hear it!

He also seems very supportive of Catholic schools.

No I meant that I’m at school right now (public school). I can’t listen to his press conference right now.

God bless both men! Has there been anything said about a new bishop for the U.P.?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.