US Bishop states "Mass is Not the worship of Jesus."

Earlier this week an American bishop “tweeted” the following “Mass is Not the worship of Jesus.” When challenged he “tweeted” " “We adore Jesus. We worship the Father.” and then apparently locked his Twitter account so as to not be readable by the general public. As the following linked page demonstrates The Catechism of the Catholic Church states:

1325 The Eucharist is the efficacious sign and sublime cause of that communion in the divine life and that unity of the People of God by which the Church is kept in being. It is the culmination both of God’s action sanctifying the world in Christ and of the worship men offer to Christ and through him to the Father in the Holy Spirit.

The Nicene Creed states:

“And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Life-giver, who proceeds from the Father, who with the Father and Son is worshiped and glorified.”

Are we in fact experiencing the birth of a new religion but afraid to believe this is happening?

3 Likes

Bishop Stika has always been a little strange on Twitter, and IMO shouldn’t be using it. He’s made some questionable statements on there before and has made his account private (so only followers can see his Tweets) more than once in the past after something controversial he’s said so this wouldn’t be the first time. Hopefully he doesn’t actually believe this and he was just trying to badly make a point. But these days, who knows what certain bishops may or may not believe.

5 Likes

Praying for him and any that might be confused by his statements.

5 Likes

Let’s see if he later un-privatizes his account with the bumbling tweet gone.

I suspect he was trying to get at something about the Trinity and he phrased it badly.

5 Likes

Knoxville, as in the one in Tennessee? I’m a little surprised, given Catholics in the south (as a matter of necessity) tend to be quite orthodox, in my experience. I also read he has some health issues, so keep that in mind.

1 Like

Most of what hits Twitter is sent prematurely.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not one for the chicken little syndrome. Jesus promised he would be with the church til the end, I’m going with Him on this one.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene

4 Likes

As a matter of necessity, Catholics everywhere should strive to be orthodox. Otherwise we cease to be Catholic by definition… :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Especially since we know this from the Catechism:

468 After the Council of Chalcedon, some made of Christ’s human nature a kind of personal subject. Against them, the fifth ecumenical council, at Constantinople in 553, confessed that “there is but one hypostasis [or person], which is our Lord Jesus Christ, one of the Trinity.” Thus everything in Christ’s human nature is to be attributed to his divine person as its proper subject, not only his miracles but also his sufferings and even his death: “He who was crucified in the flesh, our Lord Jesus Christ, is true God, Lord of glory, and one of the Holy Trinity .”

1 Like

Well, look at the prayers of the Mass and you’ll see they’re not to Jesus, but to the Father.

I think I understand what the Bishop was saying.

2 Likes

Yeah, sounds like a poor choice of words. I’m just ignoring the whole matter.

5 Likes

Me too.
I agree with the statement that some people in the public eye would be better served by just staying off Twitter.

3 Likes

That’s odd to say; from the Gloria:

Lord Jesus Christ, Only Begotten Son,
Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father,
you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us;
you take away the sins of the world, receive our prayer;
you are seated at the right hand of the Father, have mercy on us.
For you alone are the Holy One, you alone are the Lord,
you alone are the Most High, Jesus Christ, with the Holy Spirit,
in the glory of God the Father.

8 Likes

The Gloria isn’t always said at Mass, especially week-day Masses.

Look at the Eucharistic Prayers.

Are there more than one version of the Nicene creed? This from Loyolapress.com

“who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified,”

Is “adored” so different from “worshipped?”

Who is this “Complicit Clergy” seemingly looking for splinters?

2 Likes

The Creed isn’t a prayer as much as a statement of faith in our unified belief

3 Likes

I don’t understand. Who ever heard that we do not worship Jesus, we only adore Him? Explain what adoring is, with respect to Jesus and what Worship is?
Please account for the clear language in the Creed and the catechism.

3 Likes

Who is the priest at the Mass ?

Is he not Jesus, en persona, who prays to the Father ?

2 Likes

Yes, I have read the main four. Don’t forget after the Gospel:

• Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ.
7 Likes

Not even close to an adequate explanation for how the catechism is wrong.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.