US Bishops Launch Effort Against Da Vinci Code

Can I get an :amen:

Multimedia Response to “Da Vinci Code”

Episcopate Rolling Out a Web Site and TV Documentary

WASHINGTON, D.C., MARCH 8, 2006 (Zenit.org).- The U.S. bishops’ Catholic Communication Campaign will offer key resources to provide accurate information on the life of Jesus prior to the release of the movie “The Da Vinci Code.”

**Those resources will include a Web site and documentary scheduled to air on NBC-TV stations. Also being produced is a 16-page booklet on “The Authentic Jesus.” **

On Thursday the Catholic Communication Campaign will launch a Web site, www.jesusdecoded.com to provide accurate information on Jesus, Catholic teaching, and various topics explored in the Dan Brown novel.

The Web site will explain Catholic beliefs and include articles from theologians, media commentators, art experts and others that provide background and also rebut the speculation and inaccuracies about Christ and the origins of Christianity. Contributing to the Web site is the Prelature of Opus Dei.

To see entire news release:
zenit.org/english/

Contributing to the Web site is the Prelature of Opus Dei.

Hmm.

jh

They should have done this when they realized how popular the book was.

[quote=John Higgins]Hmm.

jh
[/quote]

What is wrong with Opus Dei defending themselves? They are a fine organization that does great work for the Church- and one I would be deeply honored to be in should I ever have the opportunity to join.

Hey great website now when are teh US Bishops going to give us a websit to confront fundamentalist christians?

[quote=m134e5]They should have done this when they realized how popular the book was.
[/quote]

Ditto - but at least they’re doing it now . I haven’t had a chance to look at it…is it a good site? Orthodox in its message? I hate that I even thought I had to ask that question…

I have never read DVC, but would it be the Catholic Church alone that needs a defense? I know it’s sold 40 million copies, or so I’ve heard.

The bishops can set up a hundred websites if they want. Doesn’t mean that it’s going to have any impact. Isn’t this just another heresy on top of the pile of old heresies?

Why didn’t they take such a conspicuous action about the priest sex abuse problem, except for the obvious legal problem that they weren’t going to admit anything?

At USCCB, do they have links to relevent sites about Catholic faith and doctrine? Wouldn’t the EWTN website be enough to get one-stop-shopping information?

Well, what we really need are some good orthodox and eloquent Bishops and priests to be ready to go onto the news shows when this movie comes out.

I’m hoping Catholic Answers is gearing up for this in case it becomes a big media event, just like they did when JPII died, and will be willing to staff the news shows with good, articulate, and orthodox apologists.

**Karl, do you have our back on this one…!!! :gopray2:

Well, we’ll see what the result is. The DaVinci Code is not well written technically. It is highly implausible that the events described in it could take place in 24 hours. There are other obvious defects to even the indifferent reader.

But, it has romance! A cruel murder by an unbalanced, albino monk, an, an educated man and woman, and a wagon-load of conspiracy theories, none of which seem new if you have done much general reading, but that the public seems to treat as new - e.g. that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married, and that a French royal family is descended from that marriage. The public loves mystery, intrigue and conspiracy and the book is going to be difficult to overcome.

[quote=OriginalJS]Well, we’ll see what the result is. The DaVinci Code is not well written technically. It is highly implausible that the events described in it could take place in 24 hours. There are other obvious defects to even the indifferent reader.

But, it has romance! A cruel murder by an unbalanced, albino monk, an, an educated man and woman, and a wagon-load of conspiracy theories, none of which seem new if you have done much general reading, but that the public seems to treat as new - e.g. that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married, and that a French royal family is descended from that marriage. The public loves mystery, intrigue and conspiracy and the book is going to be difficult to overcome.
[/quote]

Well the most implausible thing is that Jesus decendants are French! Oh the horror!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.