US bishops support nuclear disarmament, Middle East peace efforts [CNA]

Washington D.C., Jul 2, 2013 / 12:13 pm (CNA).- In a letter to President Barack Obama, two leaders of the U.S. bishops voiced support for continued efforts towards nuclear disarmament, as well as peace between Israel and Palestine.

“In Berlin, you recently reiterated a vision of a world without nuclear weapons, a vision that the Catholic Church has long supported,” wrote Cardinal Timothy M. Dolan of New York and Bishop Robert E. Pates of Des Moines in a June 25 letter.

Cardinal Dolan is the president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, while Bishop Pates heads the conference’s Committee on International Justice and Peace.

The two bishops recalled that Blessed Pope John XXIII pushed for an end to nuclear weapons across the globe in 1963. Twenty years later, the U.S. bishops’ conference issued a pastoral letter entitled “The Challenge of Peace,” which repeated the goal of nuclear disarmament.

“Today, we again pledge support of U.S. efforts to achieve mutual reductions in the stockpiles of nuclear weapons, to adopt the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty, and to strengthen nuclear non-proliferation.”

The bishops also stressed the importance of “vigorous leadership” by the U.S. in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

They thanked the president for his trip to the Holy Land in March and for “charging Secretary of State John Kerry with the urgent task of bringing the parties to the negotiating table.”

Reiterating their support for a two-state solution in the region, they promised their continued prayers for peace.

“We know that many consider the conflict intractable, but we believe that peace is possible,” they said, encouraging “persistent U.S. leadership” and pledging their “untiring support.”

feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/catholicnewsagency/dailynews?d=yIl2AUoC8zA
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/catholicnewsagency/dailynews/~4/rBf1CZtDDqU

Full article…

Nuclear disarmament, of course, means that no nation has nuclear weapons.

If some disarm, and some don’t, war becomes much more likely.

There’s an even more fundamental principle: can nations survive without warfare or the ability to wage war? That’s not my question, but it’s come up in my studies of World War II and the Cold War period.

I think nuclear disarmament occurred for two reasons: (1) as time passed, it was concluded that being able to blow up the planet four times over was expensive. (2) It was concluded that limited nuclear war was highly unlikely. That all-out war would always result in a “limited” exchange.

The mantra between us and the Russians was “trust but verify.”

The new enemy on the horizon is China, and it’s starting to get the same amount of ink that the former USSR did. Too bad.

And I strongly doubt that with improved technology, even rogue groups/nations will be able to get away with much, including “dirty” bombs containing radioactive materials.

Peace,
Ed

The philosophy of unilateral nuclear disarmament is based on the conclusion that WW III (a global nuclear war) is inevitable without such disarmament and that the consequences of UND would be very much less that those resulting from WW III.

Throughout the prophets of the Old Testament we find the theme repeated of YHWH’s judgment of humanity by fire. Noting in particular Isaiah 66;15,16 we see that this fire is associated with the instruments of war. Therefore my belief is that this “judgment by fire” is nothing less than a global nuclear war. Since this is delineated in the Holy Scriptures, I say that the advent of WW III is carved in stone.

Also of note is Luke 12:49, “I have come to bring a fire to the earth, and how I wish it were blazing already.” A nuclear detonation is basically an extremely intense release of heat; it’s as hot as the interior of a star. In short, it’s the fire of fires.

Our Teacher has instructed us to trust YHWH and to love our neighbors. But instead we have built abominable weapons capable of burning to death millions of our neighbors.
Scripture says: “The nations have sunk into the pit of their own making, they are caught by the feet in the snare they set themselves.”

Unilateral nuclear disarmament is both desirable and feasible. The main consequence is that the USA would have to relinquish the role of world’s policeman to the Russians. So be it. YHWH never appointed the USA to that role anyway.
I

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.