US boy offers home to Syrian refugee in letter to Obama

A six-year-old American boy’s letter to Barack Obama, offering a place in his family to a Syrian refugee, has gone viral.

Alex, from New York, wrote the letter after seeing the photograph of bloodied and dazed Omran Daqneesh, which prompted outrage around the world.

Mr Obama said the letter was from a child “who hasn’t learned to be cynical, or suspicious, or fearful”.

The video has been shared more than 60,000 times on Facebook.

“Dear President Obama, remember the boy who was picked up by the ambulance in Syria?” Alex wrote in a letter published by the White House.

“Can you please go get him and bring him to our home … we’ll be waiting for you guys with flags flowers and balloons. We will give him a family and he will be our brother.”

bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37437386

Good. God bless him.

Amen

Nice to see someone putting his money where his mouth is. Hopefully others follow suit with not only refugees, but the millions of homeless that are already here.

I somehow doubt we will.

I agree to a point, in Ireland we have a “homeless crisis” at the moment. I don’t know what it is like in the US, but in Ireland if a family can’t pay their mortgage and their home gets repossessed they basically get put up in hotels by the state until accommodation can be arranged. Refugee are a different story. They literally have nowhere to turn. So I think they should be prioritised. At least here in Ireland and similar countries. Like I said I don’t know about the USA.

There have been homeless on the streets of America for decades, and I know of few who take them in. At best (myself included), they are given some cash and a prayer is offered. I suspect the same is true currently of refugees. There have been some isolated cases of families taking refugees and allowing them to live indefinitely with the family (similar to this boy) but for all the talk of being welcoming to refugees, it seems to come with a caveat that that is important, as long as 1) someone else do the welcoming and 2) this applies to government policy only, not to individual citizens taking them in. That doesn’t seem right.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.