US guns sales soar after Barack Obama's re-election

Does this mean trouble is brewing?

Owners of guns have been stocking up because they are concerned about a potential tightening of regulations on assault weapons in the president's second term.
In October the number of background checks on people applying to buy guns, an indicator of future sales, increased by 18.4 per cent.
There was a similar jump when President Obama was first elected in 2008. A total of 12.7 million background checks were carried out that year, up from 11.2 million the year before, and the number has been rising since then.
Shares in weapons manufacturers like Smith & Wesson and Sturm, Ruger also surged after Mr Obama's re-election.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9670585/US-guns-sales-soar-after-Barack-Obamas-re-election.html

Probably not. They soared before and after the 2008 election too.

Right, I think its mostly that people are afraid of stricter gun laws coming into existence. I know I've thought about getting one before it becomes more difficult to do so.

[quote="thewanderer, post:3, topic:305019"]
Right, I think its mostly that people are afraid of stricter gun laws coming into existence. I know I've thought about getting one before it becomes more difficult to do so.

[/quote]

Well, there's no evidence of Obama pushing more strict gun laws but if buying more firearms makes people feel better then OK.

In any case, some would say it's about having more ammunition, not more guns. I mean who els do they need to arm? :shrug:

[quote="ringil, post:4, topic:305019"]
Well, there's no evidence of Obama pushing more strict gun laws but if buying more firearms makes people feel better then OK.

In any case, some would say it's about having more ammunition, not more guns. I mean who els do they need to arm? :shrug:

[/quote]

Gun sales in my area are always high...and many load their own ammo. No need for a reactionary increase after every election.

We just buy them all the time.

[/quote]

Pets?

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/trialaccount96/HamstersLove50Calibers.png
theoatmeal.com/comics/pets_war

Wouldn't a hamster be better off with a .22 or .17hmr?

[/quote]

Within 24 hours of the election results Obama took steps to limit private ownership of firearms.

[quote="SamH, post:8, topic:305019"]
Within 24 hours of the election results Obama took steps to limit private ownership of firearms.

[/quote]

As you like to post

Source

[quote="oldcelt, post:5, topic:305019"]
Gun sales in my area are always high...and many load their own ammo. No need for a reactionary increase after every election.

We just buy them all the time.

[/quote]

Even it Obama wanted to push some gun legislation; it isn't politically expedient at this time and he- like them all- is a politician first.

I see the NRA and gun lobby as just like the abortion industry.

ANY discussion at all over ANY legislation AT ALL makes them nuts.

"Let them get a foot in and before you know it they'll be taking our guns away!!"

and the Pro-choicers

"First they want parental notification and next thing you know- they will end ALL abortions!!"

They should all be banned completely. It’s a disgrace

[quote="ringil, post:9, topic:305019"]
As you like to post

Source

[/quote]

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=727373

[quote="Jimmygill88, post:12, topic:305019"]
They should all be banned completely. It's a disgrace

[/quote]

Thanks to our dislike of tyranny, and a love for constitutional law, we over here disagree.

[quote="garn9173, post:13, topic:305019"]
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=727373

[/quote]

Doesn't apply to our discussion. :)

[quote="ringil, post:9, topic:305019"]
As you like to post

Source

[/quote]

Hours after U.S. President Barack Obama was re-elected, the United States backed a U.N. committee's call on Wednesday to renew debate over a draft international treaty to regulate the $70 billion global conventional arms trade.

U.N. delegates and gun control activists have complained that talks collapsed in July largely because Obama feared attacks from Republican rival Mitt Romney if his administration was seen as supporting the pact, a charge Washington denies.

news.yahoo.com/obama-win-u-backs-u-n-arms-treaty-193445288.html

Current events 101.

[quote="He_Man, post:14, topic:305019"]
Thanks to our dislike of tyranny, and a love for constitutional law, we over here disagree.

[/quote]

I agree. There's no problem with guns. America has always had guns and they are part of the American consciousness.

The ONLY gun legislation I do agree with is limiting the number of guns one can buy in an amount of time- there is no reason to buy 10 guns in a month. One gun, heck three guns a month- fine.

I also agree with stricter checking on folks at those gun shows.

Otherwise. buy all the guns you want. . . .

I collect weapons myself (high end reproductions of medieval arms) and I wouldn't want to have my hobby curtailed as in Italy, for instance- where edged anything is banned- besides kitchen knives. That's silly.

[quote="ringil, post:15, topic:305019"]
Doesn't apply to our discussion. :)

[/quote]

How does it not apply?

[quote="ringil, post:17, topic:305019"]
I agree. There's no problem with guns. America has always had guns and they are part of the American consciousness.

The ONLY gun legislation I do agree with is limiting the number of guns one can buy in an amount of time- there is no reason to buy 10 guns in a month. One gun, heck three guns a month- fine.

[/quote]

Agreed.

Just like it is dangerous to allow a person to subscribe to more than one newspaper at time.

[quote="SamH, post:16, topic:305019"]
news.yahoo.com/obama-win-u-backs-u-n-arms-treaty-193445288.html

Current events 101.

[/quote]

This doesn't apply and is just fear/suspicion/paranoia for no reason.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.