US Intel: ISIS May Have Passport Printing Machine, Blank Passports - ABC

US Intel: ISIS May Have Passport Printing Machine, Blank Passports

With the U.S. and other countries on high alert for ISIS attacks, American authorities are warning the terror group’s followers may have infiltrated American borders with authentic-looking passports ISIS has printed itself with its own machines, according to an intelligence report obtained by ABC News.

The 17-page Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) Intelligence Report, issued to law enforcement last week, says ISIS likely has been able to print legitimate-looking Syrian passports since taking over the city of Deir ez-Zour last summer, home to a passport office with “boxes of blank passports” and a passport printing machine. Another passport office was located in Raqqa, Syria, which has long been ISIS’s de facto capital.

“Since more than 17 months [have] passed since Raqqa and Deir ez-Zour fell to ISIS, it is possible that individuals from Syria with passports ‘issued’ in these ISIS controlled cities or who had passport blanks, may have traveled to the U.S.,” the report says.

abcnews.go.com/International/us-intel-isis-passport-printing-machine-blank-passports/story?id=35700681

Trump must be wrong, there is no reason to properly vet immigrants.

Trump rather steps beyond that assertion doesn’t he? Has anyone here contended that immigrants should not be properly vetted in any thread?

If they have figured out how to print our passports, how long do you think it would take for them to figure out how to print our money?

A.) Muslim Immigrants do not need to be properly vetted, I disagree with Trump

B.) Muslim Immigrants need to be properly vetted, I agree with Trump.

I should have included a poll.

Now, even this train in Boston that ran for a few miles unmanned is being examined.

Those are his exact words, that is all he said, right now, immigrants can not be properly vetted.

That woman who participated in the San Bernadino killings would have been caught ahead of time if she had been properly vetted. News stories are saying that today, I forget her name.

A rather amusing use of the false dilemma logical fallacy.

For a long time the US dollar has been the one of the most easy bills to counterfeit, and there have been reports that foreign governments printing dollars at their mints.

North Korea

nytimes.com/2006/07/23/magazine/23counterfeit.html?pagewanted=all

This article from 1992 about Iran

articles.latimes.com/1992-07-02/news/mn-1906_1_counterfeit-bills

Another article from 1996:
nytimes.com/1996/02/27/world/super-counterfeit-100-s-baffle-us.html

I would be shocked if ISIS was not working on counterfeiting both passports and currencies of many nations. We underestimate our enemies to our peril.

Talk is cheap; prove it!

Otherwise, just trying to insultingly and arrogantly downplay one’s argument with no facts and no argument to counter with.

Sure, your a) and b) examples earlier in the thread are a false choice as they ignore any other possible options. They presume if one disagrees with option a) they must therefore agree with option b), it assumes no other conclusions or outlooks are possible besides agreeing or disagreeing with Trump under the conditions given. Any worthwhile poll would have to include an option of ‘other’ or a number of variations. One might agree that vetting was neccesary but still disagree with Trump for example.

According to the article the passports ISIS may be able to make are no where as complex as US passports. More like Syrian passports.

Which could be useful for refugees.

Of course. And the point is that some ISIS followers may have entered the EU with such passports.

It doesn’t say our passports, it says*** Syrian*** passports.

Some who make false ID are very good at it. There are lots of them who make fake ID for illegal immigrants to the U.S. One of them even offered to make me a full set for free, passport and all just for fun because I did her a favor of another sort. I declined of course. Eventually she got careless and was prosecuted for doing it. But she was paroled and, as far as I know, still does it somewhere else.

I think the US is making Russia dither about sending in boots against ISIS and the “moderate rebels” because it would likely lavish the rebels and indirectly ISIS with arms in order to mire Russia in another Afghanistan.

Hence, this is an environment where ISIS can relatively flourish.

ISIS is being underestimated because it is understood that a strong Iran or Syria is worse for US interests than ISIS.

Counterfeiting currency is a form of terrorism, and perhaps even more effective that killing innocent people. I would recommending successful counterfeiting of currency more than terrorism for any such organization that does not have immediate hopes of seizing power, since it undermines the economy.

It is probably easier to kill people than to counterfeit currency.

Putin: Russia provides air cover to Syrian opposition group

Russia has provided air cover to a leading Western-backed opposition group in Syria, President Vladimir Putin said Friday, calling for closer coordination with the U.S.-allied coalition — comments that may reflect Moscow’s desire to narrow differences with the West over the Syrian crisis.

thesouthern.com/news/world/europe/putin-russia-provides-air-cover-to-syrian-opposition-group/article_e8fd647d-07dd-5b57-a330-37dc68e3547b.html

Iran’s apparent Syria retreat, the Islamic State’s oil buyers, and the fight to authorize a war
washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2015/12/11/irans-apparent-syria-retreat-the-islamic-states-oil-buyers-and-the-fight-to-authorize-a-war/

Again, if one speaks boots on the ground in Syria, it may well be the Iranians and Hezbollah along with the Syrian army and numerous reports have come out, Iran is not too content with the conflict.

Counterfeiting would not destabilize an advanced economy where most transactions are electronic, but ISIS has some talented people working on hacking, just like Russia, China, Iran, and North Korea. Counterfeit currency could be very useful in third world countries to buy safe houses, supplies, and pay your spies and undercover cells. If you use fake passports to get your people into countries they will eventually be able to get real passports and visas to travel to target countries.

Islamic terrorists are still trying to avenge injuries 1000 years old. They are more likely to play for the long term than a politician with only 13 months left in office.

Of course ,the country would be destabilized if one everyone had the means of counterfeiting currency and that currency is placed in circulation. Some anti-fed people would argue that Greenspan, Bernanke, and Yellen are doing the same thing legally on a massive scale. But if one is able to counterfeit currency on a massive scale, it would cause more harm than killing people, since one is able to extract some goods and services in an economy without providing some service or good in exchange. I suppose most people do not appreciate how black markets negatively affect an economic because the US does not have a large black market (except in illicit goods such as weapons, prostitutes, counterfeit goods), but currency counterfeiting weakens the real economy like a black market does. The harm for counterfeiting money would be more dispersed in general price inflation.

Injuries a 1000 years ago? I would say the political aspirations of some disenfranchised groups would involving having an autonomous state that would give them political legitimacy. Also, such aggrieved groups may perceive that some hegemonic entity may deprive them of sovereignty and political representation. Do not underestimate the concept of Westaphalian sovereign or denigrate the ultimate impetus as the imperative of a depraved ideology.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.