US man finds lost mother in Amazon tribe [semi-nude photos of Amazon tribal woman in the article]

When David Good was a kid, and his friends asked where his mother was, he’d always say the same thing: She died in a car crash.

“I experimented with responses, and I found that the most effective,” David says. “I could see the horror in their faces” — he laughs — “and there would be no more questions.”

His dad, Ken, couldn’t understand: “I’d say, ‘Why don’t you just say your mom’s Venezuelan, and your parents are divorced? It’s so common.’ ”

But the story of David’s mom — who she was, where she came from and why she left — was so complicated and painful, he couldn’t bring himself to talk about it.

“I didn’t want my friends to know that my mom’s a naked jungle woman eating tarantulas,” he says today. “I didn’t want to be known as a half-breed. And it was my revenge; I was angry that she left me. So I just wanted to stick with the story that she was dead.”

nypost.com/2014/05/24/son-finds-his-lost-mother-in-a-stone-age-tribe/

This story is pretty sad in some ways and shocking in others. Nevertheless, it ends on a happy note with the boy finding his mom who is Yanomami, an Amazon tribe.

Also, just so you know, there are semi-nude photos of the woman in the article. I put a disclaimer thing in the title so you’d be aware before you click the link.

Sad story with a happy ending. You can’t treat your family like a science project. Thank you very much for sharing this.

Am I the only one who felt that the father came off as a massive creep?

Nope. I get the feeling he brought his wife back as a “specimen” – or maybe even a “souvenir”. :frowning:

I got that feeling but it was because he married his wife when she was a young teenager.

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

Am I the only one who felt that the father came off as a massive creep?

I agree with you. Disgusting!

I also agree. The fact that he married this girl when she was a teenager and then wouldn’t state how old she was when the marriage was consummated is very creepy.

Yes that was my main issue. The fact he got so defensive about it kind of digs his hole deeper too if you ask me. Who cares if the age of consent is low in some places? As a man of education he surely would have been aware of the terrible toll pregnancy can take on a young girl’s body…perhaps he just didn’t care.

I get the idea he didn’t know the exact age, because the Yanomani don’t count that high.

True, but he admitted that it was probably around 13.

And to that extent, he did reveal her age. I simply don’t see it as a fair criticism that he “wouldn’t state how old she was when the marriage was consummated.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.